Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

#ntdwi

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 169, 170, 171  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:45 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why I said I live near the smallest cathedral city....

yes, a city used to be a place that had a cathedral.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I thought you lived in Bristol, not Pembroke? St. Davids is the smallest cathedral city.

Anyway, we already have a cathedral, the tree cathedral.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/Travel/2017/November/15.%20tree%20cathedral.jpg

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I thought you lived in Bristol, not Pembroke? St. Davids is the smallest cathedral city.

He means Wells I'd guess.

If he wants to be a big cop in a small town, he can fuck off up the model village.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:17 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was Wells that was the smallest that has a cathedral that isn't ruins.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Thought it was Wells that was the smallest that has a cathedral that isn't ruins.

My, he is tenacious, isn't he?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:38 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Wells is the smallest in England.

I work in Bristol, btw, not live in.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
If he wants to be a big cop in a small town, he can fuck off up the model village.

Laughing fuck I've not seen Hot Fuzz in years, going on Netflix tonight now.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
arry wrote:

Laughing fuck I've not seen Hot Fuzz in years, going on Netflix tonight now.

Went to Wells a couple of months ago and did the walk around the town to see all the HF related sights. Got really lucky in that there was not a single Muslim terrorist in sight - nor was there any deactivated sea-mines, escaped swans or shell suit wearing shoplifters. Neither were we up to our balls in jugglers.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another attack in Germany. Syrian immigrant.

Three seriously injured in knife attack on train in Germany.

According to German media reports, the arrested man had been granted refugee status after entering Germany in 2014 and was suffering from "psychological problems"

That's ok then. Can't blame Islam or mass immigration, just one of those things.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59181509

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A case of "Wo kann ich Snackbars kaufen?"

Three seriously injured in knife attack on train in Germany

Quote:
According to German media reports, the arrested man had been granted refugee status after entering Germany in 2014 and was suffering from "psychological problems".

I dislike Islam as much as the next Iman but classifying it as a psychological problem seems like a goose-step too far Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I dislike Islam as much as the next Iman but classifying it as a psychological problem seems like a goose-step too far Laughing

There are some, even on this forum, who would class belief in any religion or god as a psychological problem, which is kind of a problem in itself when you think about how many people on the planet do follow a religion of one kind or another. Still, we can stop this nonsense when we get the utopia we're all diligently working towards. Science can fix it! Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:58 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

There are some, even on this forum, who would class belief in any religion or god as a psychological problem,

Not so much a psychological problem as a very effective form of brainwashing refined over many centuries.

If it's an established religion doing it, it's protected. If it's someone else doing it, it's a cult... More brainwashing.

It's pretty unusual for someone to "find" a religion they weren't indoctrinated into from an early age and those who do tend to exhibit some of the more extreme signs of psychological problems.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's pretty unusual for someone to "find" a religion they weren't indoctrinated into from an early age and those who do tend to exhibit some of the more extreme signs of psychological problems.

Just to gently push back there are perfectly normal ppl (relatively speaking) converting to a religion due to marriage.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:32 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Just to gently push back there are perfectly normal ppl (relatively speaking) converting to a religion due to marriage.

They go through the observances to keep their chosen partner happy. I don't think they actually believe in it.

I got married in a church because it made Mrs stinkwheel happy. The minister was fully aware of my beliefs but was happy that there was always room for more love in the world and so didn't insist I underwent a ritual dunking, chop any bits off or express the belief he'd magically turned wine into blood.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:56 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to eradicate religion from a culture, I think you do need to think VERY carefully about why so many people adhere to it, what it does for them. I would suggest that for many, it is not something that can be replaced by science or political doctrine, and would remind people that it played an important role in the fall of the Soviet Union, who tried to eradicate religious belief and failed.

I would also ask by what right does someone who does not believe in a god or practice a religion look to eradicate its peaceful practice?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:59 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which religions are peacefull?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:03 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

No, I don't think it is unusual, and for some, it helps them to mitigate against psychological problems. I can't remember how many people I've heard or read about who have been involved with drugs and crime and have turned their lives around through finding solace or whatever in religion, and that's just one area of the kind of folk it has helped. It's not the only way of course, but to dismiss all religion as pointless is a bit extreme in my view.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:20 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Which political doctrines are peaceful?
Does the Catholic church preach violence? Or the English Protestant Church? Are all Muslims violent people? What about Jews? Does religion only tell you whether to be violent or not? Is it true that many millions of people practice religion without ever harming anyone else?

And if you want to eradicate religion, you're going to have to persuade something like 1.8 billion muslims, or about a quarter of the world's population. Then you've got Judaism, Christianity and who knows how many 'minor' religions and sects to convince. How? Answer me that much.*

And again, are you sure you know the consequences of eradicating religion? Have you that much hubris?

*Edit: it strikes me that those preaching against religion are as bad as any missionaries who travelled the world trying to convince others to adopt their own religion, maybe worse. At least, I can't see much difference.
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:44 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you manage to say science is a good thing and a bad thing in the same post?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view on religion is that if we can't castrate it back to the level of a story for mentally challenged fools we should at least totally remove it from politics. Be 100% secular.

That means get rid of the House of Lords contingent of Bishops. Ban any religious based actions in local politics, Mqake sure it has no influence in what our children are taught in schools.

However it's a bit like trying to eliminate climate change while Russia, India and China aren't interested. While you still have theocracies like Saudi and the middle eastern countries and even very religious based cultures like India, Malaysia and the other Asian counties you are never going to be able to push religion down to the relevence level jackanory stories should have in todays day and age.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:02 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my proudest days was when just before number 1 son was going to be invested in Beavers (mini-cubs) and he said he was worried about it. He was about 6 at the time.

Turns out one of the things they had to rules said they had to 'love god' and he said he didn't belive it any religeon. I obviously told him just to lie...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:49 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

No, I don't think it is unusual, and for some, it helps them to mitigate against psychological problems. I can't remember how many people I've heard or read about who have been involved with drugs and crime and have turned their lives around through finding solace or whatever in religion, and that's just one area of the kind of folk it has helped. It's not the only way of course, but to dismiss all religion as pointless is a bit extreme in my view.

So yeah, people suffering from mental illness then.

I never said it's pointless. it is delusional though.

I once sat in a car with someone who abdicated all responsability for his actions because he firmly believed if he had a crash, it was because his faith in god wasn't strong enough. I shit you not, he took both hands off the wheel, shut his eyes and prayed out loud before gripping the wheel again and gassing it out onto Cameron Toll Roundabout in Edinburgh without looking.

I got the bus home!
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

The central hero of the New Testament? A tree hugger who preached "turn the other cheek," "love your neighbour," etc. The central hero Buddhism a guy who pointed out life is suffering and to get over oneself. The central hero in the Qur'an? A murderous warlord and slaver with a penchant for (by today's standards admittedly) underage kids.

Yes, I can see the similarities Rolling Eyes

Religion is a survival trait. Even now there are so many things we don't know but back in Sê unhnêaw ealdlic dæghwîl it'd be enough to drive a man mad! Magically sky faeries? Oh yeah, we can work with that Smile Gods (back in the pantheon days) also did battle which is analogous to the both physical and cultural battles between tribes. There was always a winner, usually the guy with one eye Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 169, 170, 171  Next
Page 141 of 171