Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why do people cross scramblers with cafe racers?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:05 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Why do people cross scramblers with cafe racers? Reply with quote

Trying to get the worst of both worlds?

E.g. No disrespect for the guy/taste, but take this cross between a Triumph scrambler and thruxton. If it was just for show sure, but he's actually using it off road, isn't that just pointlessly making things harder for yourself?

Knobbly tyres and barely existing fender for that extra mud splash.
Clip ons for fine control and comfy upright position.
Less suspension travel and clearance than some sportbikes.

When standing up it looks like he's about to shag the tank or something.

https://i.ibb.co/Swtg6Pr/cafe-scrambler.png

Looks like a Daryl imitation from the walking dead.

https://static1.hotcarsimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/DixonWalkingDeadMotorcycle.jpg

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they're ideal for the 100m 'adventure' journey from home to the overpriced hipster coffee shop with your man bun waving heroically in the wind.

Wankers. Laughing

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subjectivity; beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. There are plenty of bikes out there that are pretty impractical but it doesn't stop people buying them, probably because those people are buying them for fun rather than a practical purpose.

In all probability, they're unlikely to ever go off road. They're also unlikely to be knee down over the Snake, so the lack of decent tyres probably isn't an issue either. Maybe the big tread blocks will deal with nails in cities better?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shows like The Walking Dead and games like Days Gone were a real shot in the arm for motorcycling. They encapsulated a strange sort of apocalyptic spirit in these times. Motorcycles as leisure machines are like jetskis and snowmobiles on land: the icing on the cake of the industrial age. Luxuries that are, increasingly, being seen as excessive and unnecessary. The industrial age was marked by great progress in the field of mechanical engineering, lots of surplus resources, and exciting new leisure pursuits for the individual. The car was originally a utilitarian means for a working man to transport his master, or his goods. The motorcycle was mostly a cheap form of mechanised transport to get the working man from a to b. As the industrial world grew, and wealth expanded, the car, but much more so the motorcycle, became a leisure accessory, giving the common man or woman a sense of personal freedom probably unrivalled in history. There is a sense that that world - the world of surplus and individuality / the world of the middle class - is now coming to an end. Hence, the apocalyptic vibe in the aesthetics of today.

If you look at the golden age of the automobile, nothing about cars projected toughness, even if the cars were tough. The spokes on steering wheels looked delicate, with just 2 or 3 slender spokes. That's what post-war stability and optimism look like (my opinion). If you look at the golden age of the motorcycle, nothing about bikes projected toughness, even if the bikes were tougher than bikes today. Thin wheels, with chrome in places. Again, that's what stability and optimism looked like (my opinion).

Just a theory I have. If you have a deep-seated pessimistic bias in your uncertainty towards the future, it will express itself somehow in your choices of clothes and consumer goods. There may be a lingering sense of dread behind the new trend to make tyres look as wide as possible (which is where knobblies come in) or I may be talking bollocks.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:43 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty in the eye of the beholder I get, but then actually trying to get practicality out of it is just... Laughing this is the opposite of a super moto, which actually works

Bhud wrote:
Shows like The Walking Dead and games like Days Gone were a real shot in the arm for motorcycling. They encapsulated a strange sort of apocalyptic spirit in these times. Motorcycles as leisure machines are like jetskis and snowmobiles on land: the icing on the cake of the industrial age. Luxuries that are, increasingly, being seen as excessive and unnecessary. The industrial age was marked by great progress in the field of mechanical engineering, lots of surplus resources, and exciting new leisure pursuits for the individual. The car was originally a utilitarian means for a working man to transport his master, or his goods. The motorcycle was mostly a cheap form of mechanised transport to get the working man from a to b. As the industrial world grew, and wealth expanded, the car, but much more so the motorcycle, became a leisure accessory, giving the common man or woman a sense of personal freedom probably unrivalled in history. There is a sense that that world - the world of surplus and individuality / the world of the middle class - is now coming to an end. Hence, the apocalyptic vibe in the aesthetics of today.

If you look at the golden age of the automobile, nothing about cars projected toughness, even if the cars were tough. The spokes on steering wheels looked delicate, with just 2 or 3 slender spokes. That's what post-war stability and optimism look like (my opinion). If you look at the golden age of the motorcycle, nothing about bikes projected toughness, even if the bikes were tougher than bikes today. Thin wheels, with chrome in places. Again, that's what stability and optimism looked like (my opinion).

Just a theory I have. If you have a deep-seated pessimistic bias in your uncertainty towards the future, it will express itself somehow in your choices of clothes and consumer goods. There may be a lingering sense of dread behind the new trend to make tyres look as wide as possible (which is where knobblies come in) or I may be talking bollocks.

Interesting read.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:03 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
...I may be talking bollocks.

I'd agree with that Mr. Green

Anyway, Madmax style innit ?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:18 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same reason Evel Kenevel used to do his jumps on Harleys.

Stupidity.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course things like these...

https://images.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/media-library/images/motorcycles/modern-classics/my21/street%20scrambler/family%20page%20images/street-scrambler-sandstorm-family-promo-955x537.jpg

...don't just tumble out of the factory every day Rolling Eyes Note the fitting of a high side exhaust and bash plate.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1