Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So... What oiled your gears today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleared out my front yard today (all 8 foot x 2 ft of it Rolling Eyes )

It's been minging for years - old bits of carpet, cardboard boxes, fluorescent lighting tubes and dead plant pots from former efforts - so I swept it all out and went out and bought some assorted plants and stuck them in to make it a bit nicer, just to motivate me beyond today. Probably have to move them around between there and the back garden, but for now its just me trying to get myself back into my garden-pottering head again.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

It's been minging for years - old bits of carpet, cardboard boxes, fluorescent lighting tubes and dead plant pots from former efforts - so I swept it all out and went out and bought some assorted plants and stuck them in to make it a bit nicer, just to motivate me beyond today. Probably have to move them around between there and the back garden, but for now its just me trying to get myself back into my garden-pottering head again.

You've waited until nigh on winter to do gardening? Laughing

You're mad.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your point is?
Smile

It's taken me all summer to gather the fortitude to get this active again.
Ably encouraged by the senior consort who spends all year out in the garden. He never stops pottering, brought his loppers up on the train and we cleared my back garden, its given me the incentive to crack-on by myself.

Doesnt matter to me when I put stuff in, so long as something grows eventually. There's always the garden centre for pretty flowers until it all grows by itself, I'm not too proud to buy them pre-grown when I have to.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Whoops, should be in ground gears threads.

Last edited by blurredman on 13:57 - 18 Oct 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

plant ferns, and buddleia

ferns grow if there isn't muchh light, and look quite cheery all year round

buddleia are very cheerful in blloom and "cheap and brassy", grow anyhwere (you see them on vacant brown field sites and railway sidings), will get big and flower, and the ferns won't mind

get a load of bulbs cheap from lidls or aldi, daffs, snowdrops, alium, just wang em in the ground now. Put the aliums at the back, daffs at the front in clusters, and snowdrops anywhere

most of that should keep comng back with precious little maintenance and should happily fit around whatever you've got in your pots
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

plant ferns, and buddleia

ferns grow if there isn't muchh light, and look quite cheery all year round

buddleia are very cheerful in blloom and "cheap and brassy", grow anyhwere (you see them on vacant brown field sites and railway sidings), will get big and flower, and the ferns won't mind

get a load of bulbs cheap from lidls or aldi, daffs, snowdrops, alium, just wang em in the ground now. Put the aliums at the back, daffs at the front in clusters, and snowdrops anywhere

most of that should keep comng back with precious little maintenance and should happily fit around whatever you've got in your pots

Good call. But I can't be doing with buddleia. It's got its uses, yes it does attract bees and butterflies, which is lovely. But here in London it is quite literally a weed, grows out of cracks in all the old buildings and on waste ground. I wouldn't mind some of tht super-dark purple one, but I'm off buddleia in general because its such a London weed.

I recently had a buddleia grow out of the crack in the wall in front of my window bay. It grew into a tree large enough for a peeping-tom to squeeze himself past and hide behind whilst wanking at my window Shocked Eventually the next door neighbours complained that all the bees that were attracted to the flowers kept flying in their window, and I agreed to let their son cut it down. Whilst sweeping the area yesterday I found the stump of it - it must be 4 inches across, fucking thing Laughing I have a love-hate relationship with buddleia.

There's not enough soil for bulbs, sadly, its entirely concreted, and I've pushed what soil there was into a pile and bunged some pansies and black-leaved ajuga in long planters out there for now. Oh, and a fuschia, probably won't be able to leave that there: but its only temporary - it was only really to motivate me to do something out there. I wonder if I can get away with daphne Thinking

I'm thinking about putting my bottlebrush tree back out the front in a half-barrel, to give its feet some room to grow. It was a bit of a mistake last year to try and make it be a house-plant. I knew that was and idea fraught with danger. So I put it back outside where it belongs and it seems to have forgiven me. Almost... Might plant some things under it, salvia maybe: got some different ones I want to try out. There's a little window-bay right beside my front door it would fit there perfectly, and I like the smell of bottlebrush: it reminds me of being a kid in NZ, they grow like mad things out there.

But the fern section promises to be quite successful, as there is a downpipe that doesn't *quite* connect to the pipe that goes under the wall/pavement down into the gutters. So its always a bit damp there. I've put three ferns there at the moment, I have asplenium coming out of the brickwork at the back of my house, where its constantly damp, so no shortage of baby asplenium! (if anybody wants some, just let me know, LOL) Might put in some toad lilies for a bit of colour. Maybe a couple of iris for the springtime. Wub

God, I love gardens. I just hate the creepy crawlies. Puke

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

But the fern section promises to be quite successful, as there is a downpipe that doesn't *quite* connect to the pipe that goes under the wall/pavement down into the gutters. So its always a bit damp there. I've put three ferns there at the moment

https://i.postimg.cc/d0GN1pf8/20211011-120146.jpg

Wilko sell drain pipe pot holders...

https://www.wilko.com/clever-pots-drain-pipe-pot-holder-charcoal/p/0430946?msclkid=c6b4333a16d2174267b85257daa717a6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA%3A%20Garden%20%26%20Outdoor%20Living%20-%20Brand&utm_term=4576992032916132&utm_content=Garden%20%26%20Outdoor&gclid=c6b4333a16d2174267b85257daa717a6&gclsrc=3p.ds
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that Kanye West has copied Ste.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Fucking weirdo. He'll be a symbol next Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:14 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Hand

He's changed his first name and got rid of his surname, I haven't done anything like that.

Sometimes I'm Ste, some days I'm Stephen and on other occasions I'm Steve.

tl;dr I win.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Sometimes I'm Ste, some days I'm Stephen and on other occasions I'm Steve.

How about 'Stephe', though?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
He never stops pottering, brought his loppers up on the train and we cleared my back garden

That's not some filthy euphemism is it.....

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
hellkat wrote:
He never stops pottering, brought his loppers up on the train and we cleared my back garden

That's not some filthy euphemism is it.....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:48 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the latest conspiricy covid nutter to contradict himself and destroy his own argument in the prosess.

It's the small things....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I got the latest conspiricy covid nutter to contradict himself and destroy his own argument in the prosess.

Fuck me, and I thought I didn't have a life Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:47 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Fuck me, and I thought I didn't have a life Laughing

I'm forced to work from home so can't even leave the house for 8 hours a day. Staring at the same.4 walls has to find it's release.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I'm forced to work from home so can't even leave the house for 8 hours a day. Staring at the same.4 walls has to find it's release.

Thinking I think the key might be in the word "work" Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can tell Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a tattty six person pine dining table.
With some sawing, drilling, screwing and a big dose of bodgery, I now have a nice strong, much smaller workshop table.
Strong enough to hold an engine without any problems.

AND I finished it in a day without breaking anything! Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:23 - 20 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday evening? Oh, you better believe that's a paddlin'.

https://i.imgur.com/48MZVy7.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:40 - 20 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's the last Wednesday paddling of the year so I can get back to the serious business of drinking on my Wednesdays rather than having to ferry ste and no. 2 son there and back.
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:37 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

How many Kleenex does this releasing yourself over me on the Internet require?

Surprised Sick

That's a paddling

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding out that we're an E10 exempt area and won't be getting any of the stuff in our pumps. Dance!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding out that it is only an ABS sensor that has gone faulty and it will only cost £10.67 to fix and less than an hour.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 21 of 101