Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Will a FZ6 reg/rec work on a Street Triple?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Will a FZ6 reg/rec work on a Street Triple? Reply with quote

So, the bike wouldn't start tonight but after a good charge it did. Checked the volts and it's not charging, just steadily dropping. Have ordered a new reg/rec but won't arrive till Friday. Borrowing a bike for tomorrow's commute, but can only use it tomorrow.

So, i was wondering....could i nick the reg/rec off the dormant FZ6, just to get me to work for a couple of days? Or would the electric fairies have an issue with that?

Cheers

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 20 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a straight swop?

Would you risk it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363352280534?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Check the feed back on REGULATORS RECTIFIERS.

Could take 3 weeks ??????????

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 20 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Is it a straight swop?

Well, i don't know, which is why i'm asking.

Quote:
Would you risk it?

If someone knowledgeable about these things here said it was ok, then probably, yes. But as that hasn't happened yet, then no.

Quote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363352280534?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Check the feed back on REGULATORS RECTIFIERS.

Could take 3 weeks ??????????

The one i've ordered is this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224501544489

Bit of a gamble as his feedback's not great, but if it turns up on Friday and works, then i'll look for an OM version at a decent price later. I just wanted to know if the reg/rec from the FZ6 works, i could use that to get to work tomorrow.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:53 - 20 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's no volts to charge it its more likely the stator has packed up than the reg/rec.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 20 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it can't be that.

As in, yes, it might be that, but they're over £300 new...so it can't be that.

Oh, FFS. Really? I know there were problems with Triumph's reg/rec's, so i just assumed it was that. I'll have to pull the r/r out and test it and see, i guess.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 20 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test dont guess

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 20 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inner workings are probably much the same but with different connectors because they can - get that wrong and it could cause further damage. It would make more sense to trickle charge it overnight and take the fuse out of headlight if you can't turn it off until your part arrives.
Then hope it is that.
They are a bit vulnerable as they need good air flow to cool so are out in the crap. 90% chance you're right that's what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to get the multimeter out.

I had a mate change his striple regrec, battery. Didn't fix it, had to take it to Triumph and they changed the stator and burnt out wiring. It's quite a common failure point, so much so that non standard rewinds are done to prevent it going again.

E.g. https://www.westcountrywindings.co.uk/ have knowledge about this issue, and would be cheaper to repair than oem replacement.

On his bike it would run, then cut out, dash went mental then it would need recharging.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:56 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the regulator rectifier will essentially be the same, but the number of wires and the connector may be very different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is, i now have a spare rectifier! Bad news is....it isn't the rectifier Sad

So, looking somewhat disapprovingly at the stator now. I'll take it out tomorrow night and see if there's anything obviously wrong, and in the meantime find out how to test it, but at least i've got a spare reg/rec in case that was what caused it.

Oh well.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty easy to test a stator …

With the multimeter set to lowest resistance value, test between each output wire, should see very low values. If it’s open, your stator is shot.

Test each wire to ground, if it doesn’t show open circuit, your stator is shot.

With the bike running, test between each of the output wires on AC to the other output wires, you should see 20-50 volts and they should all read about the same value. IE: terminal 1->terminal 2, terminal 2->terminal 3, and terminal 3->terminal 1.

Edits in italic for clarity

Last edited by xX-Alex-Xx on 15:36 - 25 Oct 2021; edited 1 time in total

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i've tested the stator...open circuits between terminals and battery negative...so all good. Tested between the stator terminals...all low values...so all good too.

Tested the output while running...and nothing. Maybe 0.01v but that's it.

Pulled the stator cover off, and the stator looks fine. Looks like it's got a bit warm at some point, but otherwise looks ok.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/stator/stator.jpg

Also, managed to connect TuneECU and checked two error codes;

P1968 Sensor 5v supply error
P0705 Transmission range error

Not sure if there are just a result of whatever the problem is, or if they're related somehow.

The important thing is though is that there's no AC voltage coming out of the stator, but i'm buggered if i can figure out why Sad

EDIT: Just realised i'd checked the output with the multimeter on the DC setting. Once i put it on AC (as per pic) the terminals register 0.3 - 0.7 and 1.4

Is that good? Is that what it's supposed to be?

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/stator/meter.jpg

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ reset codes in tuneecu, if codes come back after your charging issue is fixed then check them out.

Presume you are testing ac volts, not dc by mistake, did the headlights get brighter when the rpms increased? No, then its possible the reading is correct and there is no output at all.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC volts is normally 20-50, so no f. good. Get it rewound, or chance a second hand unit.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you testing between the terminals and ground, or the terminals to different terminals?

Test:
terminal 1 - terminal 2
Terminal 2 - terminal 3
Terminal 3 - terminal 1

Should see 20-50 volts across all of them with only minor variations between the three.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
^ reset codes in tuneecu, if codes come back after your charging issue is fixed then check them out.

They haven't come back in the shortish time i had it running.

Quote:
Presume you are testing ac volts, not dc by mistake,

Embarassed At first i was testing DC, until i realised it was the wrong setting.

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Were you testing between the terminals and ground, or the terminals to different terminals?

The 0.3, 0.7 and 1.4 readings were between the three terminals and ground. I don't think i checked between terminals (other than the resistance tests, which were fine) as i thought they'd all be + , or the same polarity at least, so they wouldn't be making a circuit..?

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
AC volts is normally 20-50, so no f. good. Get it rewound, or chance a second hand unit.

I've already ordered a new stator which should arrive on Tuesday. I'll swap it out when it's here and try again.

Oh, that westcountrywindings site you suggested doesn't appear to work, btw. Just says it's not secure and won't load. Tried it on Firefox too..same thing.

Last edited by Mr Hammers on 16:45 - 24 Oct 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:45 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get AC through each of the pairs of the terminals. There is no connection to ground.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You get AC through each of the pairs of the terminals. There is no connection to ground.

Ah, i see. Well, i see what you mean...i think...but i'm not sure i understand why that is.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:59 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because to the rectifier they are 3 seperate circuits and so it can accept AC on all the pairs which it then converts to DC.3 set seperate inputs smooths the resulting voltage to an extent.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's because to the rectifier they are 3 seperate circuits and so it can accept AC on all the pairs which it then converts to DC.3 set seperate inputs smooths the resulting voltage to an extent.

I get the 3 phase, i get the 3 separate circuits, i get the smoothing out. What i don't get is how two terminals can be + and - ...? Do they alternate between....ahh...alternate..... Thinking

So...am i right in thinking that two terminals will be (or should be) pumping out voltage...but there's no + or - as such....it's just 'volts'...? Because it's AC?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try https://www.westcountrywindings.co.uk/applications.php if you need it in future, hopefully not!

(http, not https - seems http links posted here are converted to https)

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 30 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

All working again!

New stator eventually arrived. I'll keep the old one and maybe send it off to get rewound (cheers, Hong Kong, site works without the 's') or, if it's not too difficult, maybe have a go at doing it myself.

Anyway, it arrived yesterday and so i fitted it today. Bought a new battery too, as the old one might be knackered after being run all the way down.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/stator/stator-bat.jpg
https://www.planetash.net/bcf/stator/housing.jpg
https://www.planetash.net/bcf/stator/newstator.jpg

Put it all back together and i'm getting a good 14+ volts at the battery again. So, no more 2's up on a little 125 with a very tall mad frenchman for my commute!

Cheers for all the help, guys, much appreciated Thumbs UpVery Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1