Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Your weapons of choice?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:46 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Your weapons of choice? Reply with quote

I want to put together a tool kit for keeping on the bike for emergency field repairs, maintenance etc.

What does everyone keep in their on-bike tool kits?

I'll likely get a tool roll, but curious to know any secrets on which tools are an absolute 'must have' vs, just a 'nice to have'?

Does your on-bike tool kit change from day rides to a longer trip? How does it change?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and learning from those with much greater experience than me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:52 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone and the number of my recovery company.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to carry a tyre plug kit (that I had no idea how to use) but these days with tubed tyres on both of my bikes, even that doesn't come with.

The BM is quite funny - you need a special tool to even top it up with the oil it will invariably drink and that resides.... under the seat....for which you need a special tool to remove. It was a very special tool that thought of all that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am disappointed Crying or Very sad , I read the title and was all ready to tell you how I like an Uzi or a big revolver!

How ever emergency tools depends on what bike you’re riding.
My bikes have fairings so I’m not going to be doing a lot engine or frame repairs on the roadside.

I always keep some cable-ties on my bike, also the tool kit that came with the bike.
My best aid for roadside troubles is my RAC recovery card.

EDIT: I always carry a couple of chain links if I’m going touring (not very often).

Last edited by pepperami on 16:01 - 26 Sep 2021; edited 2 times in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:59 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do carry a tyre plug kit (which I do know how to use) simply because 1) often lorry drivers will stop when they see you have a flat and offer use of their air line and 2) recovery will either take me to a garage or home to replace the tyre and if I plug it I just need to ask them to bring me some air.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have a basic Oxford kit which pretty much mirrors a standard OEM toolkit. Pretty much all that’ll fit under the seat as my alarm takes up the rest. Anything needs more than that and I’m calling a flatbed.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puncture repair kit (have used), some spare fuses (never used) and the tool roll which came with the bike, although I’d really only have need of the socket which removes the seat. I once found I’d left the battery terminals loose which then vibrated off. There isn’t much else you can fix at the roadside, especially without spares. RAC card for the win.

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:22 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
under the seat....for which you need a special tool to remove. It was a very special tool that thought of all that.

HaHa... sounds about right

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:27 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear so many value RAC / recovery services... I think i'll go get some!

And a puncture repair kit by the sounds of it. Very Happy

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre plug kit. Fuses. Minimal set of spanners. Anything more complex gets recovered to home via the RAC.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike. On mine I'd favour a set of hex tools over spanners.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtually nowt - just some zip ties and fuses, and a small, really sharp knife

the rest is just stuff to clean visor

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:38 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone number to your insurance company lol

Had to use it two days ago. My NSR, that damn bastard died on me. It couldn't even ignite the starter fluid (yes there was a spark and a new battery). Top end rebuild coming...

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre plug kit + compressor.

Compressor is a £5 job from ebay where I removed all the plastic gubbins so it fits under the seat.

Put a TM1 connector on the end so it can plug into my Optimate charging plug.

Have used it to great effect......just mind your fingers. But it does take 15-20mins to fill a tyre

On top of this, a 225mm breaker bar + 8-17mm sockets, screwdriver + allen bits and a 1/4 spanner + 1/4 socket to fit the bits.
Hacksaw to remove rear disc lock when I inevitably forget its on again.

Small fold up pliers.

Small Multimeter.

Shock preload adjuster.

Spare rad expansion cap.

Spare rad cap.

Spare set of cables + USB ciggy adaptor / charging kit.

Spare phone.

Spare clutch cable......but a cable fixing kit would probably be a better hedge except I haven't looked into it.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:31 - 26 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had nowt.

Got the heebie-jeebies from hardened biker stories of valve clearance adjustments in horizontal rain on the A42 resulting in a victorious return home.

Bought a tyre repair kit, stuck it in a bag on the back.

Got a flat 15 miles outside of no-fekkin-where in Shropshire. AA - no. Recovery - ‘reg no?’ - oh NO, that’s only got TWO wheels. Time? 17:01 - every garage gone home (the one I left a message with still hasn’t’ phoned me back!)

My failure to “practice” using the repair kit (how?) meant I struggled to fix the flat. Also 3 tiny cylinders of CO2 - currently worth £471.15 each! - struggle to give you enough puff to re-inflate a tyre, hunt for the cause, plug it, then re-inflate it.

Net result?

Herself stopped & pumped me up with a fag lighter compressor, wobbled home and got taken up the wrong’un for a new tyre.

Promptly bought breakdown cover.

Discovered everyone else already had it.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 03:37 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a motorcycle courier before road recovery was worth a damn and I got in the habit of taking WAY TOO MUCH spare shit and tools with me "just in case" and I still do out of habit. Too many times I wound up fixing punctures or mending something at the side of a dark, rainy motorway in the middle of nowhere but it's what we used to do. Now I'm not even a courier any more but I still probably carry as much weight as a pair drunken midgets in my panniers.

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:00 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Tyre plug kit + compressor.

Compressor is a £5 job from ebay where I removed all the plastic gubbins so it fits under the seat.... But it does take 15-20mins to fill a tyre.

I hope you're never in a hurry with inflection times like that Laughing Thanks for the kit list though, very helpful!

Keithy wrote:
My failure to "practice" using the repair kit (how?) meant I struggled to fix the flat.

That's something i'd very likely suffer from too! Good advice, although I second the 'how?' comment. Maybe just carry the manual around?

Thanks everyone else for the useful insight. I've got very little experience on bikes right now and so this is all very helpful. I've been car driver for 17+ years but bikes are a whole new exciting world for me to learn about. Very Happy

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard Honda/KTM bike specific under seat tools, string kit, electric tyre inflator, needle nose pliers, sharp knife for cutting string.

If you leave the string sticking out like a tampon there's a high chance it will get dislodged.

Otherwise I've limped home with a dodgy set of points in the fuel pump of the CBR, screwdriver helped there.

Failed to get home with dodgy trapped wiring on the KTM, snapped clutch arm on the CBR, snapped clutch cable on the same bike another time.

The snapped clutch cable is the only one I could have sorted at the roadside if I had the part or a repair kit.

Otherwise I've sorted three flat rear tyres away from home, that is why I always carry the tyre kit.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also carry way too much tools with me. Hand pump as well as electric one.. Tube patches, tubes, all the usual stuff.

I don't bother with oil or water though- Unless I'm on the 2t.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:18 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

35YO Honda Fusion, when on tour:
- plug
- CDI
- coil pack
- bulbs
- wheel bearings
- exhaust manifold
- exhaust gaskets
- oil
- coolant
- carb cleaner
- fuel filter
- chemical metal
- fuel pump
- drive belt
- fuses, Scotchloks, spare nuts and bolts, tape, folded wire coathanger, chemical metal etc.
- tools, tyre pump, plugging kit
(of course none of this is needed if on board and, yes, the one time I didn't bother it broke hundreds of miles from home and yes, the boot is huge).

DN-01
- nothing.

tl;dr - modern bike? Don't sweat it.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre plug and pump, zip ties, length of copper pipe flattened at one end to use as a lever.

OGR

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:51 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard tool kit and a sticky string puncture kit with loads of CO2 capsules.

And breakdown cover.

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:19 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
a sticky string puncture kit with loads of CO2 capsules

How many CO2 capsules are needed to inflate a typical bike tyre? Most tyre repair kits seem to have 3 capsules, but is that enough to inflate from empty?

1claire
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 04:14 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually have a tool kit on my bike, but after getting into an accident I decided to purchase Cruztools and bring it during a long drive.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike; on the VFR it has the factory toolkit (which is actually rather good) and is sufficient in theory to do basic adjustments, including chain tension, although undoing the pinchnut with a 5" spanner is probably an interesting experience. I include a small plate with pre-measured chain tension range on it to act as a quick measurer and a few nitrile gloves. This never changes irrespective of a short ride or a tour.

an innertube, a bicycle hand pump, bicycle tyre levers, nitrile gloves and possibly a few other things. Innertube tends not to come along on short trips (it lives in the topbox which I don't always put on it). Haven't done a tour on it yet, but did a 200 mile daytrip and the kit was above - don't think I'd change anything for a tour.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1