Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HONDA CG125: What have I bought?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

RedHondaCG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:29 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: HONDA CG125: What have I bought? Reply with quote

I recently passed my CBT (UK) and bought my first bike, which is a HONDA CG125 2001...apparently.

Pics - https://imgur.com/a/Lvae8uU

On the bikes DVLA papers from the former owner and on the bike frame itself, the VIN is only 11 digits long and starts with CE125. I know this is too short, and I wondered what the reason might be? Also, on the frame, the VIN is marked as CG125, not CE125, although the following numbers are the same.

The DVLA papers also say the 'bike model' is a CT125!!? The bike doesn't look like a CT model, and I can't figure out why it's registered as one?

The DVLA papers register the 'body type' as a 'Scooter Combination'. Is this normal?

After riding the bike, I found that the gear system worked differently, as it only has four gears, and the top option on the gear lever is neutral, and you press down for gears 1-4. You also have a back lever to come down in gear (see in pictures). I know this isn't standard on most CGs, but I'm aware there are specific older models and models manufactured in other countries that have this (i.e., Brazil, Japan, Pakistan).

The bike passed its last MOT.

Any help would be great. I've searched the VIN number in online databases and have had no look as it's not 17 digits. I've also looked at the Honda bike registry and can't seem to match any information to a specific model or year.
<table width="351" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: middle; text-align:left;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-family:helvetica, arial;; text-align:left"> <span><span style="margin-right:5px;color:#000000;font-size:15px;font-family:helvetica, arial">Joe Honda</span> </span> <br><br> <table cellpadding="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"><tr></tr></table> </td> </tr> </table>

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get a definitive answer you might reach out to the Honda Owners Club or Honda themselves and see if they can shed some light on it. Does sound as if you've got an import but unless you're intending to keep the bike for a good long while not too important if it does the job.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:00 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVLA have listed it as a 'scooter combination' because they think that it's a CT125, probably the politest way to describe a CT. Laughing
That doesn't help you at all but might clear up that bit.

They might be thinking it's a CT because the VIN number they have matches a CT not a CG, could be a DVLA glitch, could be that someone has messed with the VIN. Presumably the number on the V5 matches exactly the number on the steering head?

I'd hazard a guess that it is a grey import, possibly a little older than 2001 (which might be solved by checking for differences in parts plans for different years but you'd have to be fairly keen to go down that road!!) and I'd be taking a very close look at the VIN for signs of tampering.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to wikipedia the CG125 has been in Japanese production, largely unchanged, from 1976 to 2008 Shocked Every day a learning day Smile

So maybe it's not an import? Anyhoo, with regards to the frame/engine numbers the reason they're too short for a VIN is 'cos they're not VINs and just factory serial numbers given the design is decades old. (The more recent fuel injected CBF125 would have a VIN.)

In which case I wouldn't panic on the CB125/CE125 differences between the frame an the engine. However as this is definitely not a CT125 I'd focus on getting that corrected at the DVLA. If they have the correct frame number listed on the V5 it's just an error. I suspect they'll ask you to produce a letter from Honda or another authoritative source to update the records.

In the event of an insurance claim it might complicate things* but I'd imagine there's very little difference in cost between a CG125 an a CT125.

*For comprehensive, third-party insurance would have to work regardless

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure, we had Brazilian made CG125s in stock at the Honda dealer I had a saturday job in when I was 17,
so 1990 or thereabouts... I had an older Japanese one for a while until I T-boned a couple of underage TWOCers in a
nicked fiesta which failed to yield on give way lines where I had priority, aka pulled out on me. Shame, that fucking ruined
that little bike, front wheel hit the driver door dead centre and trashed my forks and yoke. I went over bars and broke driver
window with my lid, also totalled a brand new pair of reebok pump basketball boots which I had just bought on me mums
catalogue, they were about £120. Silly money back in those days. The two teenage scummers in the car just ran off and left me
in the road. Aaah Dagenham..... Wub

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a CG, and there are a few around here with the 4 speed box. It's earlier than a 2001 though (first of the electric start models, normal 5 speed gearbox), or at least it's not a standard UK 2001 model.

Contact David Silvers, they'll be able to shed some light. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they used to import CGs.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a Brazilian bike have "Made in Japan" on the case? Were the engines made in Japan and the Brazilians just assembled them?

RedHondaCG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:20 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
To get a definitive answer you might reach out to the Honda Owners Club or Honda themselves and see if they can shed some light on it. Does sound as if you've got an import but unless you're intending to keep the bike for a good long while not too important if it does the job.

I've come to the conclusion it's the Japanese nostalgia model. I also spoke to Honda today and gave them the bike VIP and engine code, they said they will work on tracking down the original manufacturer and send me the manual, it will cost £30 but would actually like to own it. 
<table width="351" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: middle; text-align:left;color:#000000;font-size:12px;font-family:helvetica, arial;; text-align:left"> <span><span style="margin-right:5px;color:#000000;font-size:15px;font-family:helvetica, arial">Joe Honda</span> </span> <br><br> <table cellpadding="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"><tr></tr></table> </td> </tr> </table>

RedHondaCG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:23 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
DVLA have listed it as a 'scooter combination' because they think that it's a CT125, probably the politest way to describe a CT. Laughing
That doesn't help you at all but might clear up that bit.

They might be thinking it's a CT because the VIN number they have matches a CT not a CG, could be a DVLA glitch, could be that someone has messed with the VIN. Presumably the number on the V5 matches exactly the number on the steering head?

I'd hazard a guess that it is a grey import, possibly a little older than 2001 (which might be solved by checking for differences in parts plans for different years but you'd have to be fairly keen to go down that road!!) and I'd be taking a very close look at the VIN for signs of tampering.

I think you're right about the import, and the V5 matches the VIP on the bike. I think the current VIP might be something do with it being an old model, but not certain. Hard to tell if it's been tampered with tbh

RedHondaCG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:30 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
It is a CG, and there are a few around here with the 4 speed box. It's earlier than a 2001 though (first of the electric start models, normal 5 speed gearbox), or at least it's not a standard UK 2001 model.

Contact David Silvers, they'll be able to shed some light. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they used to import CGs.

I've read about a 'Japenese nostalgia model' produced in the 90s that used the 4-speed gearbox, and they never took off in Asia so they were exported abroad. I'm sure my CG is one of these. I'll give David Silvers a ring and see if they can shed any more light, thanks.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:55 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have you bought? Pain and anguish accompanied by lack of speed and depression.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedHondaCG wrote:
I've read about a 'Japenese nostalgia model' produced in the 90s that used the 4-speed gearbox, and they never took off in Asia so they were exported abroad. I'm sure my CG is one of these. I'll give David Silvers a ring and see if they can shed any more light, thanks.

If it's really a 2001 CG, then it's either the Japanese nostalgia model, the Turkish-made M-model, or a Brazilian model. I can tell from looking at it that isn't the Turkish M-model, or the Brazilian model. The Japanese nostalgia model didn't have any black painted or lacquered engine covers, and the handlebars were typical and not like the bike pictured, I believe. However, it did have a tank like that one.

Honda will definitely be able to tell you if that's one of their bikes.

The V5C should read "BICYCLE" as the vehicle type/class, and say nothing about scooters.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it's Pakistan made repro/nostalgia version
(Who gets nostalgic for shite 6v lights, piss poor brakes and low power?)
Just get on and ride the bloody thing.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Would a Brazilian bike have "Made in Japan" on the case? Were the engines made in Japan and the Brazilians just assembled them?

They were CG125-BR as I recall.
More here… https://www.motorcyclesurvey.com/reviews/honda/cg125br/

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
However as this is definitely not a CT125 I'd focus on getting that corrected at the DVLA. If they have the correct frame number listed on the V5 it's just an error. I suspect they'll ask you to produce a letter from Honda or another authoritative source to update the records.

Not being sarcastic here, is it really worth trying to get a sensible result from the DVLA?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the weird Turkish model they made with the flip flop gear changer
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
However as this is definitely not a CT125 I'd focus on getting that corrected at the DVLA. If they have the correct frame number listed on the V5 it's just an error. I suspect they'll ask you to produce a letter from Honda or another authoritative source to update the records.

Not being sarcastic here, is it really worth trying to get a sensible result from the DVLA?

TBF the DVLA seem to be working albeit very, very... very! slowly Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1