BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Windows 11

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Windows 11 Reply with quote

Is it just me or is Windows 11 just an excuse by Microsoft to get us all buying new laptops unnecessarily! Evil or Very Mad

I've not got a new laptop, but it's only a couple of years old - I've replaced the hard-drive with an SSD drive making it much quicker, it's got 8GB RAM and an Intel core i5 7th Gen processor - yet MS in their infinite wisdom have decided this isn't good enough for their precious Windows 11 version, my processor isn't good enough.

I know I don't have to do the upgrade, and I won't be - but it just annoys me the expectation set to keep with the latest Windows version.
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they’ve typically supported old hardware but old hardware means less security. They’re pushing forward with virtualisation based security which means newer processors, TPM, and secure boot.

Windows 11 in its current form is shite anyway. I had it on my work laptop for all of 2 days before I rebuilt it with Windows 10.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got offered this upgrade and Microshite can shove it
the only reason I've stuck with them up to Win 10 was Adobe creative suite and admittedly being too damn lazy to go down the Linux/Wine/VM/Gimp route.

I'm told Win10 will be supported to 2025 anyway so no rush.

It appears you will have to have a microsoft account to run Win11
whereas currently anyone can install a win10 ISO and easily obtained
code.
I don't profess to be anything other than an enthusiastic amateur
but it looks like they want Win users to be even more locked in than they are now.

Edit:
This looks interesting
Linux with a win11 'feel'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDHBQl6L0nk

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can force it on from a ISO download but risk no further updates, most likely eventually it will be further rolled out but there isn't much to be anxious to update for anyway except to try it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I

It appears you will have to have a microsoft account to run Win11
whereas currently anyone can install a win10 ISO and easily obtained
code.

ive just updated to 11. i dont have a microsoft account.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:12 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
...This looks interesting
Linux with a win11 'feel'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDHBQl6L0nk

..and as long as you don't expect Wine to run your desired Windows progs..

No doubt it'll run shite you don't care to use, but as in usual, and in Unbuntu for instance, it won't emulate the windows environment for most Windows progs.

Can't understand the 'having to look like windows' mentality. Like most progs there is a learning curve, just deal with it, the reward is greatly underrated.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:20 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop is older than Gen7 i5 and its installed fine.

I wouldnt be using it now though, bit shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some issues with my Dell Optiplex, it's about 4 years old.

Microsoft initially told me to do one.

But then I looked at the specs and saw the TPM 2.0 requirement.

There was a BIOS update, which was a bit trickier than usual as I had to clear TPM owner and do some pokery with Powershell. Saying that if I'd have had a USB Windows PE to hand it would have been a doddle.

Anyway, it's okay, the interface is nice.

Though I miss my tiles, I used this and I hate the nee widget thing.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just been upgraded to Win10 at work, a month or so ago. So no Idea about 11. The win10 roll out is still underway in the NHS here.

Only upgraded from XP at home 3 years ago. Still got maaaaany years of 7 ahead of me..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:22 - 02 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Win 11 upgrade checker thing and the tech is all fine on my laptop, but the BIOS lacks one tiny security setting which means I can't do the update.

I might be able to update the BIOS but I got bored of trying to figure out how. Windows 10 is perfectly adequate for me. The default apps are atrocious (Groove Music, Photo Viewer, etc), but I don't really have any desire to upgrade to a whole new operating system.

My main gripe is more to do with how everything these days is subscription based. I don't want to pay monthly/yearly for software, I want to pay once and keep it, then pay again later when a major update is released, if I want the update.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:31 - 02 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks and feels like the WindowsME of 2021 - it's a no from me. Nothing wrong enough with 10 to warrant the aggravation.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:32 - 02 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Looks and feels like the WindowsME of 2021 - it's a no from me. Nothing wrong enough with 10 to warrant the aggravation.

Peeps won't think that after a few Win10 updates later when things start to not work/slow down, with the old chestnut that is 'the latest software isn't compatible with older OSs' and has been optimised for Win11'.

It won't be like XP, MS have total control over Win10, and it they say you won't keep using it, you won't, least not online. Not sure if you can use it indefinately offline.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 02 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

By which time I'll be older and grumpy enough to move to Mint full time.

10 will be here for a while yet.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:36 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is Windows 10 still feels new to me.

Then again, I also still feel like any internet speed over 2Mb is cutting edge.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:50 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's TPM and why does Windows 11 want it?
Windows 10 was bad enough with spyware so now they are trying to foist windows 11 with whatever worse features they have in store.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
What's TPM and why does Windows 11 want it?
Windows 10 was bad enough with spyware so now they are trying to foist windows 11 with whatever worse features they have in store.

Trusted Platform Module. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/tpm/trusted-platform-module-overview

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've forced it on my two year old dell laptop which had 'unsupported CPU' with no problems.
Things seem to load fast and layout has changed a bit here and there but nothing too worrying once start menu is put back to the Left side.
https://github.com/coofcookie/Windows11Upgrade
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinkered with it a bit more. Quire like it.

Good excuse to upgrade the CPU at home as there were other issues that this fixes.

It's definitely smoother on graphics and faster on boot.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Good excuse to upgrade the CPU at home as there were other issues that this fixes.

One of the few bits of software I've actually paid for recently was Start11, just because I hate the stock 11 start menu that much. Well worth a look if you prefer the Windows 10 (or earlier) start menu.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start11/

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat. The only one I've paid for is Display Fusion from BinaryFortress . Had it for years now.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:23 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

One of the few bits of software I've actually paid for recently was Start11, just because I hate the stock 11 start menu that much. Well worth a look if you prefer the Windows 10 (or earlier) start menu.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start11/

Do you really use the start bar enough to just not set it back to the left and be done with it?

I can't remember the last time I clicked start!

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of a full right click menu and half the new start menu showing "recommendations" is enough. Microsoft's definitely taking Apple's "you'll do it our way or no way" approach lately.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:59 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
The lack of a full right click menu and half the new start menu showing "recommendations" is enough. Microsoft's definitely taking Apple's "you'll do it our way or no way" approach lately.

Perhaps its how with how you use it vs me, but I haven't actually noticed a single difference Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2