Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best procedure to lubricate clutch cable

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Best procedure to lubricate clutch cable Reply with quote

I need to lube my clutch cable, i did it a few years ago by just blowing out muck with some degreaser then putting some light oil down the tube. Just repeat? Or is there a better way?

Cheers.

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really much else you can do.

There's a proprietary tool that can help oil the cables. -> https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/MaQAAOSw0IBcZvPC/s-l225.webp

The other thing you can do is hold / tape the cable up vertically. Then put plasticine / blue tack near the cable hole and create a funnel out of silver foil, using the plasticine as the seal. Then fill the funnel with light oil and let gravity force the oil out of the funnel down into the cable. If it's sealed right then there's nowhere else for it to go. Wiggle the inner cable to suck it down there.

Or just use a small plastic funnel rather than the silver foil and seal it onto the cable.

Once you've done that then it might be worth putting one of those rubber boots onto the cable / lever to stop road crap from sticking to the oil and schlorping its way down into the cable. You can get generic sets for a few quid -> https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/B7YAAOSwNnZeYlqb/s-l225.webp

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Lubricator tool and suitable lubricant. (Spoiler alert: Usual 'Old Engine Oil Aficionados please chyme in here)

I've not had any issue with cables.
I cut a small strip of cloth/kitchen roll, wrap the strip around the end of the cable cover (together with the red tube from the spray can), scoot the lube into the cable in little blasts.
Work the clutch to help the lube creep through the cable.
When you see it dripping from the other end you're done.
The tool might be simpler. But something else for me to lose. Rolling Eyes

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought them days were gone oiling cables and modern cables are hard plastic lined?
I would replace it because it sounds like the lining is breaking up.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
I thought them days were gone oiling cables and modern cables are hard plastic lined?
I would replace it because it sounds like the lining is breaking up.

I agree, you might squirt something on the exposed end of it.
If your bike usually lives indoors I don't think you need do much more and could even make the cable stick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:30 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oiler tools are good and are pretty cheap, the ones with two screws are best, the single screws struggle to make a good enough seal. Light oil for a conventional outer. Silicone spray for a nylon lined outer. The oiler tools are designed to work with an aerosol but a good old fashioned pump oil can firmly pressed against the opening works well.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks people. Sort of confirmed my thoughts, i will have to order a new oiler as ive lost the last one.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:19 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old fashioned way was to tape a small funnel to the outside of the cable outer, fill it with oil and wiggle the cable until oil dropped out the bottom.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The old fashioned way was to tape a small funnel to the outside of the cable outer, fill it with oil and wiggle the cable until oil dropped out the bottom.

Plasticine was often used - every house had some somewhere Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:42 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Plasticine was often used - every house had some somewhere Smile

Tried that, did not work well, landed up with sloppy oily plasticine all over everything.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play-Doh would be better as it is water based. Can be DIYed too.

Plasticine is oil based so most lube would interfere with it
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1