Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car park bump advice.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Car park bump advice. Reply with quote

Had a minor prang in the car this evening, just trying to get my thoughts straight.

I reversed out of my bay and a young lad in a BMW reversed out of his, we gingerly touched tips in the middle but being moderns cars they're all crunchy and easily scuffed so even at walking speed the damage looks fairly bad.

I'm pretty certain we're 50-50 on blame, but he says fully my fault. I've already caught him lying about witnesses and called him out on it (although he denies it and insists he still has one).

I'd happily live with the damage to my car because it's a bit of a shitter, so I suggested we both pay for our own damage and move on with life. I'd guess his bimmer is worth triple my Megane so you can imagine he is less keen!

Anyway, young laddy is first year of driving so very keen to avoid insurance if at all possible. Realistically I'm not forking out four figures in cash to fix his car (I suspect even if we agreed 50-50 blame that half the damage is going to be north of £1k). I don't see professional repair of my own car being much cheaper so it's not a cheap prang.

I suspect I'm going to insist on going through insurance if he doesn't want to repair his own car out of his own pocket. I'd also much rather avoid claiming if I can but it feels like the only option.

Just after your thoughts really, maybe I'm missing some obvious option.

For now we've agreed to both get quotes for repair of our own cars and go from there. I've given up discussing fault as we clearly see it differently.

What say you, o wise BCF?

p.s. quick look back at the pictures and it looks like an illegal tint on his windows, I wonder if that would play into my favour with insurance.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own view is as soon as it isn't a case of sorting your own cars out, go through the insurance. It's just, in my view, a shed load of pain dealing with another human who's convinced hes in the right and doesn't want to go through insurance.

Also, wait for the add ons to appear. Oh, I've got whiplash. Oh, it's damaged the chassis. Oh, you definatly wern't looking. etc. etc.

Just let the insurance sort it out. Hope you got a lot of photos.

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:39 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the threat of calling insurance over his head. Don't waiver or deviate, just say you're going to do it. Be confident. You've got the upper hand. He might fold and hope you back down.

Insurance will only put you up a few quid a year. Big deal.

However, they'll tear his heart out, eat it and then shit what's left of it back down his neck.

If he wants to be a cunt. Well, let him learn what that's going to cost him. Little bitch probably thinks he can act all tough guy on you knowing daddy will be footing all the bills for his twatishness. Let's hope he gets spanked by daddy and the insurance company.

Keep your cool. Let him start bawwing. You tried to do the decent thing, he took that as weakness and went on the offensive, so take him for everything he's got the stuck up little bastard.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:47 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mysteriass wrote:
Stuff

Funnily enough you've pretty much typed out my gut instinct word for word, quite reassuring.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:12 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: Car park bump advice. Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
p.s. quick look back at the pictures and it looks like an illegal tint on his windows, I wonder if that would play into my favour with insurance.

Unless its on his windcreen or front side windows, you can have whatever level of tint you like on the rear of a car

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:14 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's being a dick, just stop talking to him. Inform your insurance and leave it at that. Dicks gonna dick and why waste your time and mental space on them.

Up to you if you want to claim for the damage to your own car. If you don't, make it clear that you aren't accepting liability because from experience, they sometimes take you not claiming as an admission of liability (Didn't claim for the £35 of damage to Mrs stinkwheels bike and her insurance admitted liability and paid out over £3k to the owner of the range rover she collided with with no communication or even asking her what happened).

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: Car park bump advice. Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Unless its on his windcreen or front side windows, you can have whatever level of tint you like on the rear of a car

Unrelated to the OP's issue; but out of interest: last time I took out a new car insurance policy obviously I was asked about modifications. One item on the tick list was 'tinted windows'. I said 'yes' to this, because. Next question was whether these had been originally fitted when the car was new, or whether they'd been fitted after that. "I have absolutely no idea - how should I know, or how could I even find out? I'm the third owner of the car"?

Turns out that if the windows were installed afterwards, the premium would be hiked by 39p/month (no kidding); versus nothing if they were OEM-fitted. Insurance companies... Rolling Eyes

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: Car park bump advice. Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
we gingerly touched tips

Bad aids/only ghey if balls touch

Delete as appropriate.

If I'd read beyond that point I might have had some really sage advice, but I didn't so I don't.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notify your insurers.

Suck up the Loss of NCD for the next few years on any vehicle you insure. (That's where the butt hurt comes in, if you insure a car and bikes etc.)

Refer all contact from the turd party to your insurers.

Be more careful when parking. Reversing into the bay is all round win win.
Cold engine performance can affect low speed manoeuvring.
Poor visibility leads to prangs.
Smug, I-Told-U-So comments help too. Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a private car park then whether the car is roadworthy or not is neither here nor there.

If you both reversed out at the same time then it's 50/50 unless one of the parties admits liability or there's definitive evidence one of the two parties were controlling their respective vehicle erratically. One party blaming the other party? Sorry, sunshine, insurance doesn't work like that: admitted/proven liability or get bent.

Oh? You have an expensive car? And it'll be very expensive to fix? What a shame, here's a box of tissues. Your choice of car, your choice not to be careful with it. Try and prang a Lamborghini next time.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:56 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Reversing into the bay is all round win win.

So how does one get the shopping out of the trolley and into the boot? (VW Beetle owners need not reply).

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Be more careful when parking. Reversing into the bay is all round win win.

Frustratingly that is what I was doing, it was a narrow car park so I nosed in to the opposite bay to reverse into the one behind me.

BMW lad reversed out of one on the side I nosed in to and back around towards me, essentially across my path (although the bays are staggered so I was also moving slightly in his direction too.

Far arse on a Megane coupe gives dreadful rear view. Still bad obvs on my behalf. Whatchagonnado. Lesson learned.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Megane coupe

String-backed driving gloves? Please say yes.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

Reversing into the bay is all round win win.

So how does one get the shopping out of the trolley and into the boot? (VW Beetle owners need not reply).

Men who design Carparks are bastirts.

There's a school who want to make as much revenue off parking spaces so use the smallest 'acceptable' sizes for demarcation.

There's another cunch of bunts who believe that making spaces smaller will encourage folk to buy smaller vehicles.

I have a 520 BMW ( Cool ) that means I have to do a horizontal limbo out of the door to get out/in the bastirt in most carparks.
I prefer to park in the Badlands on the outskirts of the popular spaces not next to the fcking doors. Some folk would drive into the shop if there was space.
Less trolley carnage.
More spaces.
Less chance for some arse to bang the door of their jalopy agin my shit.
Some quality exercise for my fat arse.

As to shopping and carparks.... I try not to shop where they don't have space to park and load/unload my car/bike.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
c_dug wrote:
Megane coupe

String-backed driving gloves? Please say yes.

You should see the faux carbon fiber dash with red go-faster stripe and sports badge, it's enough to give any 17 year old a raging semi:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img-20210924-wa0012.jpeg

Stop judging me Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:55 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance 100% - tell him you are going down the insurance route because thhe internet said so, best outcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:04 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I prefer to park in the Badlands on the outskirts of the popular spaces not next to the fcking doors. Some folk would drive into the shop if there was space.
Less trolley carnage.
More spaces.
Less chance for some arse to bang the door of their jalopy agin my shit.
Some quality exercise for my fat arse.

However, you can garauntee that if you park in the middle of nine empty spaces, when you get back, someone will have badly parked a shitter right next to you so you can't open the door.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:40 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked on askmib.com to see if the car is insured?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Men who design Carparks are bastirts.
There's a school who want to make as much revenue off parking spaces so use the smallest 'acceptable' sizes for demarcation.

There's a notorious multistorey in my town which not only has really narrow spaces, but the turns to drive up and down a level are incredibly tight and you actually need to line your vehicle up quite carefully to get round them in one go. Needless to say, the pillars on all the corners are absolutely multicoloured from top to bottom, from the number of cars that have scraped them. The collective damage over the years must run into £millions by now.

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

There's a notorious multistorey in my town which not only has really narrow spaces, but the turns to drive up and down a level are incredibly tight and you actually need to line your vehicle up quite carefully to get round them in one go. Needless to say, the pillars on all the corners are absolutely multicoloured from top to bottom, from the number of cars that have scraped them. The collective damage over the years must run into £millions by now.

Have you seen those action camera's that take freeze frames of people's expressions when they're on rollercoasters at amusement parks. You get off the ride and there's a usually a big TV set right at the exit with the freeze frame on it and everyone's "filled pants" face.

Imagine the cracking shots you'd get from a camera like that in those multistory parks. That instant: "£200 EFFING QUID!" face.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Yup, one of the first things I did, it is insured.

The kid was ~18 driving £10k of BMW, I suspect it is a parents car and probably insured in their name hence the desperation to avoid insurance.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Ste wrote:

Yup, one of the first things I did, it is insured.

The kid was ~18 driving £10k of BMW, I suspect it is a parents car and probably insured in their name hence the desperation to avoid insurance.

So he might not be insured, or insured as a named driver who the insurance companies do not like when its a 'i drive this car all the time' scam.

Just go in with insurance.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:45 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it's on a PCP plan and he's about the get arse raped for a huge damage waiver.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 176 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1