Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:33 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a slidy-pictury-thing here:

https://autobala.com/2022-yamaha-xsr900-announced-for-europe/232185/

It looks like the same engine but everything else is new: frame, swing arm, forks, etc. I think I prefer the old one Thinking

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

It looks like the same engine but everything else is new: frame, swing arm, forks, etc. I think I prefer the old one Thinking

It's nice to know that they consider power/torque to be required.

horsepower 117.3hp at 10,000rpm (required)
Maximum torque 68.6 lbs at 7000 rpm (required)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
horsepower 117.3hp at 10,000rpm (required)
Maximum torque 68.6 lbs at 7000 rpm (required)

"That's a spicy meatball!" as Yammie Noob would say Laughing

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

"The Yamaha press kit included a photo of the Christian Sarron with the fairing removed and his Grump Relayer to show inspiration for the new XSR900"
So that explains why it looks like someone crashed it and removed the fairings Laughing

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2016 MT09 for a few years, sold it last year. It was the updated model, (identified by the black frame, TC and ABS etc) and I really liked it in stock form.

Great engine (best bit about it), great seating position even for a short arse like me, get the comfort seat as it's a worthwhile upgrade for your behinds sake, lovely wide bars, poor wind protection (I tried a few screens but none were brilliant), stiff rear shock (couldn't get the required sag I needed and it had soft front forks with poor rebound damping, I'm 11 stone in gear. Your experience may vary.

It had the ECU/fueling updated by Wiz Performance before I bought it, but I'll be honest I never had any issues of poor fueling, I do prefer a cable operated throttle, but as far as throttles go it was fine.

All 3 maps were useful, I left it in standard mode most of the time.

Power wheelies were easy in second with the roll on/off approach, not that I'm any good at them!

I did upgrade the suspension all round to ktech kit at considerable expense, got a bit caught up in it all ...

I fitted IDS20 internals with springs to suit my weight up front, carefully selected the correct oil to use in each fork leg, slightly lower viscosity oil in the compression leg for example. Set it all up with the recommended air gap and found it all very stiff on bigger bumps, it felt like it would lock up, I tried increasing the air gap but it didn't help. I think the issue was with the shim stack being set up too firm and more suitable for a bike on track. Not that I'd be tracking an MT09!
I fitted a KTech Razor R at the back, this was superb.

I did remove it all before I sold it, if I was to do the custom suspension setup on any bike in future I think I'll just go to Maxton.

But overall opinion of the MT09 are that it is a bargain of a bike with great performance, the street triple though is a better all round package and would be my choice if going for another triple again.

Cheers

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
grr666 has (had) one, the Tracer version I think. He seemed to like it from what nI remember when it wasn't in a ditch. Laughing

Not a Tracer, but the very limited edition Sport Tracker model. It is the one and only Sp-acker! Laughing Made a few small
mods to it to go with the model specific special parts but it's styled in a flat tracker/retro style. I'm of the belief that the
design was used to test the market for the XSR900 as it pre dates that and there's a few similar styling cues.
As Nobby says, she's been laid up for a good while now. It's a 2016 bike that has yet to be submitted for it's first ever MOT.
I do miss the old girl. Hopefully next year will see it back on the road. It's a stupid, loud, lairy bike that threatens to off
me every time I ride it. It's fucking hilarious especially with a stubby carbon Akra can and full race exhaust system.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:15 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had good 50 mile test ride on the MT09 the other day and frankly, I'm not sure.

It's a nice enough bike: Easy to get on with, comfortable enough for me (apart from the overly firm suspension, but I could live with that). Nice fuelling, dripping with tech and decent performance (although not as fast as the claimed power and weight figures might suggest).

I've ridden the XSR900 and several previous incarnations of the MT09 and the 2021 is the best yet. Gone are the fuelling glitches, odd riding position and wayward handling. Yamaha have undoubtedly addressed all of the previous shortcomings of the model and it's a much better bike.

But, well... I dunno. Maybe I'm a Luddite, but I was kind of put off by all the tech and it just felt a little bit... well, cheap. Except that it's not cheap at over £9k.

If I'd liked it just a bit more, I'd have opened the chequebook there and then but as it stands I'm not sure that I like it that much. Which is a bummer 'cos I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 2013 street triple and test rode a 2018 765 street triple R, both much more refined than the 2016 MT09, not as lairy but much better suspension and slightly sportier riding position. Ideal A road machine.

I'd happily have either engined model of the street triple next.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:22 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, the striple is a bit small for me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2