BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Could this be the perfect bike (for me)? GSX-S1000GT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 03:11 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Could this be the perfect bike (for me)? GSX-S1000GT Reply with quote

Anyone else excited to see / test ride the new GSX-S1000GT when it hits the showrooms? Presuming it hasn't already??? MCN review says 2022 onwards, so... ???!!! Might be worth sauntering down to Laguna in Maidstone to see if it's in stock yet...

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/suzuki/gsx-s1000gt/2022/

I'm questioning whether buying an MT10 back in April was such a wise choice and whether there's a better suited bike for me out there?

Basically my criteria were (and still are):

LED lights all round

Cruise control

The 8 year old spec sheet warrior inside me was insisting on at least 150bhp (didn't fancy going down in power from my 2014 Fazer 1000)

Sporty and nimble for weekend fun, fairly lightweight ideally under 250kg wet but the nearer I could get to 200kg the better

Comfortable and practical enough for an annual trip to the south of France or Spain and also to not make me want to take the car instead of the bike for the 170 mile round-trip to Cambridge (there and back on the same day) once every few weeks, many of which will be wet and cold trips especially around this time of year now. So ideally an upright riding position with handle bars instead of clip-ons and a bit of fairing up front.

When I set out on my quest to find the perfect bike for me after I passed my test I was convinced a sports tourer would be the right bike for me. However having sat on a few, and despite a lot of people saying they find them very comfortable, I found most of them too crouched and leant over making it uncomfortable on the knees, hips and wrists. Even sat on a VFR which most people say is one of the more upright sports tourers out there but even that I didn't find very comfortable. And even most people who say they do find a sports tourer perfectly comfortable, I think most would probably agree there's comfier bikes out there for slow/stop start/town/city riding?

So I came to the conclusion it would have to be an upright naked (preferably with a bit of front fairing) or an ADV would be the bike to suit all purposes.

Started off with a FZS600 Fazer and moved up to an FZ1 Fazer and fell in love with both of them. Upgraded to an MT10 in April and while the thing is a fucking riot in no small measure (and I am in love with the bike just the same as, if not even more so, than the two previous Fazers), I'm still finding myself wishing I had just a tad more weather protection, even when the weather is fine I'm still finding my head being blown about a bit at near-triple-digit motorway speeds even though I changed the screen for a taller touring screen (not the tallest one they do, but still taller than the original). I'm confused because they actually do an MT10 Tourer edition (I just got the SP model and put some of the Tourer edition bolt-ons afterwards). Anyone else having this complaint with their MT10? Could you REALLY call the MT10 Tourer a bike appropriate for touring if it's going to give you a sore neck at high motorway speeds in spite of that taller screen? The beauty of the Fazers is they had that little bikini fairing which gave a bit more protection than simply having a taller screen on a completely naked bike does.

I was seriously considering the following but in the end settled on the MT10:
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100
BMW S1000XR
Ducati Multistrada 1200/1260/V4S
Kawasaki Z H2
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
KTM 1290 Superduke GT

In the end I decided I didn't think I was ready to move away from a Japanese brand for the following reasons:
Reliability
Lower cost and simplicity of maintenance, repairs and parts
Lower cost and better choice of aftermarket parts available

So the only one that was left in the running was the Kawasaki but I decided against it as a lot of the reviews were saying it was heavier, less agile and basically less fun than the MT10. Better in a straight line than the MT10, somewhat akin to a ZZR1400 / Hayabusa. The MT10 being the better toy to enjoy the twisties on. Also with the option of being able to just get the SP model and then buy the Tourer edition bolt-ons really sold it for me.

So yeah. No bike is going to be 100% perfect for all purposes is it? You're always going to have to make sacrifices somewhere or other. Either leaning towards more practicality and less fun... or more fun and less practicality.

So wondering whether the new Suzuki could be worth a look?

One thing I would say about the MT10, although this would never be a deciding factor for me in buying a bike as I don't really care what the thing looks like... is it can be said by some that they are fucking ugly! I think it's odd/strange/different/divisive. Not sure I'd go as far to say it the thing is outright ugly, but some do.

The Suzuki on the other hand, has to be said, is stunning to look at! Especially in that blue shown in the MCN review. Very very pretty. Worth a look? Perhaps. Probably going to be disappointed in the lack of engine character compared to the MT10's crossplane R1 engine but almost certainly going to have better touring credentials. Not sure, now I've experienced the MT10, I would ever want to go back to an average inline 4. Would probably want a crossplane I4 or a triple or a V4 or a V twin or something. Compared to the crossplane, any other I4 is just going to be plain boring in comparison!

If only Yamaha would do an ADV with that crossplane R1 engine or even just a semi-faired version of the MT10, but I guess those aren't fashionable these days are they? A bit like the Bandit had an N and an S version. The FZ/FZS had an N and an S/Fazer version. The SV650 had an N and an S version. You get my point! Would be nice to see I just don't think Yamaha THINK there's a market for a semi faired MT10, but I would buy one in a heartbeat!

Anyway, enough waffle. Thoughts on the upcoming Suzuki? Am I just boring the pants off you and talking shit? All input is welcome!

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/PageFiles/691779/1440x960/Suzuki_GSX-S1000GT_01.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get too carried away by MCN doing a glowing review. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 10:08 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL no don't worry I won't! A bike has to be pretty fucking awful to get anything less than 4 stars from MCN. I'd wanna test ride one first to make sure I like it. Mind you I didn't test ride an MT10 before buying one but I had so much confidence in Yamaha from my two previous bikes I couldn't see how I could go wrong with it.

But looking at the spec sheet, the ergos and the plastic bits stuck on the front... looks like a potential swap for me... IF I'm prepared to live with the slightly less powerful and less characterful engine Thinking

You've got to admit though, compare the two bikes, which one is the better looking?

https://cdn2.yamaha-motor.eu/prod/product-assets/2017/MT10DX/2017-Yamaha-MT10DX-EU-Silver_Blu_Carbon-Studio-001-03.jpg

Last edited by TravisBickle on 10:11 - 08 Nov 2021; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:10 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of waffle in there for a post that boils down to "Should I swap my MT10 for a GSX-S1000GT?"

I have absolutely no doubt the Suzuki will be a fantastic bike. How do I know? I have it's direct predecessor the overlooked GSX-S1000F. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 'F'. For what I want it for it does absolutely everything, and on top of that it happens to handle in an uncanny sporty and confidence inspiring way. Honestly? It might be up there with the Buell XBs, the Street Triple and the RGV250 amongst the best handling bikes I've owned. It's that bloody good.

The GT is simply my bike with a more modern fairing, a tougher subframe and an updated dash. The real downside to my bike is probably the slightly retro looking dash, but I don't really care about that. People moaned about lack of 'modes' and lack of hard luggage, and that the dash was old hat, and of course, the look... all of those things have now been fixed. The motor is smooth as silk, mega powerful and more than anyone could need on the road. It might be accused of lacking a bit of character, but I still adore it. I don't think it lacks character personally but horses for courses, and it's up against an MT10 I guess.

I have no doubt it'll be a great bike, it's just whether it's worth spending the £ on it I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 10:18 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
There is a lot of waffle in there for a post that boils down to "Should I swap my MT10 for a GSX-S1000GT?"

I have absolutely no doubt the Suzuki will be a fantastic bike. How do I know? I have it's direct predecessor the overlooked GSX-S1000F. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 'F'. For what I want it for it does absolutely everything, and on top of that it happens to handle in an uncanny sporty and confidence inspiring way. Honestly? It might be up there with the Buell XBs, the Street Triple and the RGV250 amongst the best handling bikes I've owned. It's that bloody good.

The GT is simply my bike with a more modern fairing, a tougher subframe and an updated dash. The real downside to my bike is probably the slightly retro looking dash, but I don't really care about that. People moaned about lack of 'modes' and lack of hard luggage, and that the dash was old hat, and of course, the look... all of those things have now been fixed. The motor is smooth as silk, mega powerful and more than anyone could need on the road. It might be accused of lacking a bit of character, but I still adore it. I don't think it lacks character personally but horses for courses, and it's up against an MT10 I guess.

I have no doubt it'll be a great bike, it's just whether it's worth spending the £ on it I guess.

Thanks that's a great reply!

Yeah I have to admit I did overlook the F purely for the fact it doesn't come with LEDs all round, or am I wrong? Can definitely be accused of nit picking there but if you have a wishlist of things you want on a bike, it's nice to get them all ticked off.

I'd be curious to find out how much it would actually cost me to swap. It could be very little, as my bike is a 21 plate with low mileage I think it cost me around £13,500 new with all the optional extras IIRC, and that's the other thing the bloody list price on the Suzuki is very VERY appealing for a bike with all that kit, arguably more bells and whistles than the MT10 has (has an up AND down quickshifter to mention just one, whereas the MT10 only has up) that price tag represents seriously good value for money at only £11,500! Yeah I've probably lost more than £2k on my bike from the purchase price, but hopefully not much more than that?!

Food for thought...

Just really wanted peoples opinions on the Suzuki as I already know what I personally think of the MT10. So it's really cool to get your insight on it Thumbs Up

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:19 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in the market for a sports tourer but if I was the new Suzuki would be top of the list. 150BHP from a well proven engine. Useable technology - cruise control, quick shifter etc.. The only down side for me would be there's no remote pre-load adjuster on the rear suspension but given the price, from where I'm sitting it looks like a real bargain Cool

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Could this be the perfect bike (for me)? GSX-S1000GT Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100
BMW S1000XR
Kawasaki Z H2
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
KTM 1290 Superduke GT

Given that it's pretty similar to and will obviously be a direct competitor to Kawasaki's 1000SX I wonder why that didn't make your shortlist?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The real downside to my bike is probably the slightly retro looking dash, but I don't really care about that.

If the basics are right, don't sweat the small stuff!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 16:18 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Could this be the perfect bike (for me)? GSX-S1000GT Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100
BMW S1000XR
Kawasaki Z H2
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
KTM 1290 Superduke GT

Given that it's pretty similar to and will obviously be a direct competitor to Kawasaki's 1000SX I wonder why that didn't make your shortlist?

Clip-ons and 'only' 140bhp.

Nit picking again, I know! 140bhp would be more than enough for anyone but like most things in life, more is betterer!

Wouldn't rule out a test ride though to see if I could be persuaded. Anyone ridden one of these care to share how the riding position and comfort (for someone who doesn't want a sporty riding position) compares to something like a bolt upright naked bike like a Fazer/MT or the Suzuki GT? Is it a bit more sporty than the GT or is it virtually the same just with clip-ons instead of handlebars in virtually the exact same height and angle that they would be on the GT?

Last edited by TravisBickle on 16:20 - 08 Nov 2021; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:20 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:
The real downside to my bike is probably the slightly retro looking dash, but I don't really care about that.

If the basics are right, don't sweat the small stuff!

Exactly, I've waxed lyrical on it before, but the basics of my bike are very right. The complaints the press, mags and youtube massive had were all saying it didn't have 'modes' or a fancy dash or factory luggage. It seems that those things are now fixed, which should make for an epic bike. Suzuki deserve to sell a boatload.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never even learned my way around the dash on my 2011 Street Triple, and I guess that'd be considered quite basic by today's standards Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:38 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I never even learned my way around the dash on my 2011 Street Triple, and I guess that'd be considered quite basic by today's standards Laughing

The GSXST's dash has been called 'one of the most user friendly' in all the reviews, and often the reviewer will smirk or write an aside saying "It's definitely not like a Triumph dash!" as if the Triumph is a standard for dashes with pointless modes etc.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

The GSXST's dash has been called 'one of the most user friendly' in all the reviews, and often the reviewer will smirk or write an aside saying "It's definitely not like a Triumph dash!" as if the Triumph is a standard for dashes with pointless modes etc.

And it didn't have a feckin fuel gauge, something that would actually have been useful! Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:
Every bike is a compromise. If you want to do everything at the highest level, buy more than one bike.
Not being the best at something doesn't mean a bike is no good. I have come to the conclusion that if only owning one bike, then one that does most things to a good standard is better than having a bike that does one thing really well, but is crap at everything else, unless you only do that one thing on a bike.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Could this be the perfect bike (for me)? GSX-S1000GT Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
GSX-S1000GT

I really like it, looks a lot better than the new Tracer anyway. I am totally at a loss what my next big bike is going to be. I am slowly turning the ER6F into a bit of a "sport" (not really sporty though) tourer.

When this hits I think I will get a test ride booked.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:21 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would be disappointed buying a new GSX-S1000GT.

Just wait some years until the second hand prices level out and it joins the rest of the suzuki fleet. Not very interesting but great workhorses.

At least with this, its nice to see Suzuki managing to breathe some life back into their current range.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:38 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't they just lob a GSX1000 motor into a modernised Bandit chassis, minus most of the electronic nonsense, paint it in old school Suzook colours and sell 27 million of them?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:40 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
Why don't they just lob a GSX1000 motor into a modernised Bandit chassis, minus most of the electronic nonsense, paint it in old school Suzook colours and sell 27 million of them?

Err... that's what they've done... that's what the GSX-S1000 is.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
You've got to admit though, compare the two bikes, which one is the better looking least ugly?

Surely?
And I’m still struggling.

Edit: OK, I’m a dinosaur from what I’d call the ‘90s heyday.
Laughing Crying or Very sad

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:05 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I disagree. They've lobbed some touring bags on a GSXR. Not the same thing at all.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:23 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I disagree. They've lobbed some touring bags on a GSXR. Not the same thing at all.

Nobody would buy it as a Bandit. You're wrong about the GSXR-ness. It's a totally different frame, bespoke for the GSX-S. The only shared component is the swinging arm.

It's a clothed GSX-S, not a naked GSXR or a touring GSXR or anything like that. It's a Bandit but a Bandit with an alloy instead of a steel frame, and up to date suspension and brake components. It's half the price of a GSXR. It's half the price of pretty much any superbike. What does that remind you of? A Bandit.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 00:00 - 09 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the popcorn
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1