Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2030 The death of personal vehicular transport?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 13 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
But fuel duty is a percentage of the cost, therefore as the price rises the governments snout sucking creams off more money. When they say they havent put up fuel duty, what they mean is they haven't put it up over and above inflation.

Fuel duty is a fixed 57.95p a litre. Plus 20% VAT on that ..

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/fuel-duty

So the VAT goes up with inflation. They still snuffle up more money when prices go up.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:13 - 14 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when we put our hands up and stop using hydrocarbons as our energy source, tax will simply shift over to renewables.

Those 'two house' subsidies and trimmings for our MPs aren't going to pay for themselves.

The shower of kunts we elect to 'Look after things' will make sure that they're not out of pocket due to any of their decisions.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:35 - 14 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Robbie and MarJay make an interesting point regarding Pool vehicles.

In effect, we already have the design for pool vehicles, in the Hackney cab. Thats been designed to allow for kids, wheelchairs and trans people etc.

However, motor manufacturers are never going to go for it as they won't have enough differentiation between their vehicles and the "standard" design, to keep going with their brand.

You can't have the current level of 12 or so vehicles "platforms" and still hope to achieve a cost effective pool methodology.

I think this will come to nothing anyway, especially given China and India's lack of buy in it at Glasgow yesterday. They'll place economic growth before polar bears and blue whales aaaaaaalllllll day long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:49 - 14 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be a lot more concerned about the US than India or China.

China can change direction incredibly rapidly when it chooses to, and they do strategic planning in all things. Unfortunately for the world it looks they're planning more for 2 degrees and extensive mitigation than aiming for 1.5 degrees.

India, as we saw last year, has an increasingly powerful and joined-up lobby in the form of farmers. India is also going to be one of the earliest countries to get hit hard by climate change. A couple of years of failed harvests and I wouldn't be surprised to see a new government sign any agreement (after watching the previous being publicly executed).

US though. What a fucking mess.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shift of manufacturing to turd world kuntries allows the west to sit proud that they are not the polluters. Rolling Eyes
The turd world were late to the party and argue they need hydrocarbons to catch up their economies.

Just talk from all sides. Building up economies just means a few Arseholes become disgustingly rich.
And those making it happen starve.

Stop using hydrocarbons and stuff that's made by exploiting easy energy.
Then stand back and watch the world disintegrate.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:19 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
MarJay wrote:

There'll be a pool of cars with appropriate child seats, or the child seats will be properly modular where they clip into place within ten seconds.

Possibly, but I still think you might understand mums, particularly first-timers with babies.

The idea of using a child seat used by someone else without knowing it's been sanitised to the point of irradiation is a bigger problem than you may think. Even if your own car seat is well doused in all of the liquids expelled from a baby. Same reason they tend to buy brand new prams that cost as much as an MOTed 125 (or significantly more - spending a grand on a pram is not vaguely unusual).

Second, having a system where you clip a car seat in and out in 10 seconds exists and is pretty much standard, that's isofix. Still leaves you trying manoeuvre a bulky car seat and pram in the rain, or bulky car seat and toddler (toddlers are suicidal and have unlimited energy).

This is not an insurmountable problem - one of the useful things about black cabs is that you keep the baby in the pram and not have to use a car seat - but it is a bigger problem than simple logic would suggest. Logic does not exist for some people when a baby arrives. If anyone attempts to impress logic upon them, that person will have a bad day.

And that's why I got to finish restoring my old 250. Safer to hide in the garage for long periods of time.

Maybe self driving cars will be proven to be *so* safe that you can just sit in it without a seat/in a pram/ with no seatbelt? *shrug*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Maybe self driving cars will be proven to be *so* safe that you can just sit in it without a seat/in a pram/ with no seatbelt? *shrug*

I'm sure Tesla have many ringing endorsments about self drive. Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:44 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Tesla has never claimed to have actual self drive capability. The users just get confused and think it does. Just like the old story about the guy with the winnebago who set the cruise control and went in the back to make a coffee...

Also I don't think self drive will be legally allowed until it's proven safe, at which point it'll probably clear the way to be mandatory as it won't be compatible with meat sacks sitting behind steering wheels and pushing pedals to control things.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Tesla has never claimed to have actual self drive capability. The users just get confused and think it does. Just like the old story about the guy with the winnebago who set the cruise control and went in the back to make a coffee...

Also I don't think self drive will be legally allowed until it's proven safe, at which point it'll probably clear the way to be mandatory as it won't be compatible with meat sacks sitting behind steering wheels and pushing pedals to control things.

That's exactly why they added the word "beta" to it recently. The previous "Autopilot" name was slightly misleading to a lot of people.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:46 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Probably, eventually, and that would solve the problem.

Until then however, the problem remains. Full self driving appears to be at least a decade away just for the technology, and at least another decade after that for a decent amount of regulatory approval around the world. Another chunk of time after that for the oft-repeated doomsday scenario of us not being allowed to drive our own cars or ride our own bikes being being remotely feasible (from a technology, regulatory, public sentiment point of view).

By which point it won't matter for most of us.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe when 2030 arrives and the government of the day sees what a political pig phasing out internal combustion engines will be then the goal posts will be substantially moved/removed. After all "get the bus oik" is not a good slogan for getting votes.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:15 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of news items caught my eye last week which support the OP's contention.

Tory junior transport minister Trudy Harrison announced in Parliament last week that owning a car is outdated '20th-century thinking' and that there should be greater use of mass transportation systems.

A rail line between Exeter and Okehampton in Devon that was closed back in 1972 was reopened.- Apparently this is part of a wider plan to ressurrect local rail routes that were targeted for decommissioning by Beeching back in the early 60's (routes that were abandoned precisely because post-war mass car ownership and road haulage was reducing the demand for local rail travel).

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

droog wrote:
Couple of news items caught my eye last week which support the OP's contention.

Tory junior transport minister Trudy Harrison announced in Parliament last week that owning a car is outdated '20th-century thinking' and that there should be greater use of mass transportation systems.

A rail line between Exeter and Okehampton in Devon that was closed back in 1972 was reopened.- Apparently this is part of a wider plan to ressurrect local rail routes that were targeted for decommissioning by Beeching back in the early 60's (routes that were abandoned precisely because post-war mass car ownership and road haulage was reducing the demand for local rail travel).

This contributes to my theory that the aim of neo-liberal conservatism is to take us back to a victorian style of society. Hop on the charabang oik.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that the one with the crazy, who is supposedly a keen motorcyclist?

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/motorcyclists-now-have-voice-houses-parliament

Hmm, so I take it that this means that having tried to use the imagery of bikes to direct public perceptions in her favour as a bold and dynamic individual (a very 20th century way of looking at things) she is suddenly uninterested in bikes as well. Come to think of it, is there any evidence that she ever rode at all? Online, it appears she attended a couple of MAG events. I suppose she's been there and done that, now. Onward and upward to better things. It's obvious what those are.

I'm not having a dig at her - every creature acts according to its nature. A scorpion stings indiscrimately.

I will use this opportunity to have a dig at MAG though. How can you expect people to support you if you overlook what your eyes tell you, or if your strategic planning suppresses your gut feeling and experience?

https://www.mag-uk.org/does-new-motorcycling-minister-signal-a-bright-future-for-riders/

Last edited by Bhud on 18:25 - 12 Dec 2021; edited 1 time in total

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:47 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This contributes to my theory that the aim of neo-liberal conservatism is to take us back to a victorian style of society. Hop on the charabang oik.

Economic theorists like Yanis Varoufakis have posited the idea that the capitalism which delivered so much in terms of improvements in standards of living, property ownership and social mobility in the post war period has degenerated into a system which is monopolised and manipulated by tech giants, central banks and corporations and which is characterised by increasing economic inequality and the shrinking of the social and economic opportunities enjoyed by previous generations. Varoufakis calls this development 'techno feudalism' (a process which was accelerated/reinforced by the financial crisis of 2008 and latterly the pandemic).

In this sense it could be argued that the (genuine and real ) environmetal crisis is being used as a justification by governmental and economic elites to manage and control increasing social politcal and economic inequaltiy (as they do from the need to combat carbon emissions and regulate the global temperature).

I don't have the expertise and knowledge to get into a detailed argument on this stuff - but I do find Varoufakis's arguments compelling.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:52 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Isn't that the one with the crazy, who is supposedly a keen motorcyclist?

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/motorcyclists-now-have-voice-houses-parliament

On the plus side and giving her the benefit of the doubt she did only mention 'cars' - nothing about bikes Mr. Green

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

droog wrote:

On the plus side and giving her the benefit of the doubtshe did only mention 'cars' - nothing about bikes Mr. Green

She's a dead ringer for a girl I once knew, who has moved on to richer things now (well, actually many years ago). Kids go to a famous public school, husband is an English graduate bluffer who entered the insurance industry and then moved between a couple of startups that had the backing of some serious venture capitalists. Funny thing is, that was her plan all along. She was looking for a guy who could give her a leg up before it was too late (she actually told me this). I avoided catching the falling knife.

I'm not trying to bore you to sleep, but just mentioning this very ordinary and dull and average life experience because the crazy thing is in the eyes and all over the face. It's written right there. Anyone over a certain age can see that these are "sanpaku" eyes and the baring the teeth thing is major danger (psycho territory - someone who doesn't understand what a smile is). So it's all about Boris finding his match now. I can tell you that the motorcycles thing is ancient history and she doesn't give them a second thought (I doubt she ever did, anyway).

https://i.ibb.co/LCrcTsp/trudy.png%20

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cover up the smile the eyes don't match it, definitely the psychopath look.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:40 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bhud"]
droog wrote:

I'm not trying to bore you to sleep, but just mentioning this very ordinary and dull and average life experience because the crazy thing is in the eyes and all over the face. It's written right there. Anyone over a certain age can see that these are "sanpaku" eyes and the baring the teeth thing is major danger (psycho territory - someone who doesn't understand what a smile is). So it's all about Boris finding his match now. I can tell you that the motorcycles thing is ancient history and she doesn't give them a second thought (I doubt she ever did, anyway).

Yeah, I know the type you are referring to and have encountered a few of them over the years.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, the stuff some of you read into ordinary things. That’s a forced smile for the camera, they never look natural.

Back on topic, I watched ‘The Modern Age of the Coach’ yesterday, it was surprisingly good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00xf6xk

I reckon I could happily do without a car if there was a comprehensive bus service (in the sticks) but to get that there would either have to be large scale coercion (pricing or otherwise inconveniencing people out of car ownership) or massive pre-investment in the vague hope of making it the better alternative. So, in response to the OP, yes it’s inevitable that personal transport will decline, and although that makes sense on many levels we might consider ourselves to be in a golden age now. I’ll take a different view of that last point tomorrow morning when my car is crawling at 5mph on the way into Stevenage though.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Jeez, the stuff some of you read into ordinary things. That’s a forced smile for the camera, they never look natural.

Back on topic, I watched ‘The Modern Age of the Coach’ yesterday, it was surprisingly good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00xf6xk

I reckon I could happily do without a car if there was a comprehensive bus service (in the sticks) but to get that there would either have to be large scale coercion (pricing or otherwise inconveniencing people out of car ownership) or massive pre-investment in the vague hope of making it the better alternative. So, in response to the OP, yes it’s inevitable that personal transport will decline, and although that makes sense on many levels we might consider ourselves to be in a golden age now. I’ll take a different view of that last point tomorrow morning when my car is crawling at 5mph on the way into Stevenage though.

The last time I was on a bus opposite me was some twat adjusting his piss bag which was hanging out from the bottom of his cargo shorts. The incident reminded me of why I hate buses so much.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

So, in response to the OP, yes it’s inevitable that personal transport will decline, and although that makes sense on many levels we might consider ourselves to be in a golden age now. I’ll take a different view of that last point tomorrow morning when my car is crawling at 5mph on the way into Stevenage though.

In my view the golden years (for bikes) were the 70's to the 90's. 2 smokes, race reps, loony customs and the factories trying out all sorts of nutty ideas. RE5 anyone.

I don't know about cars of that era because I never bothered to take my test until 2007. I never wanted a car but I had to take my test then because I needed to drive when working abroad in the US. I enjoy it now but not in some rotbox 800cc city shittymobile. It's got to have a mediocum of power.

I agree that nowadays is the tail end of personal transport unles you are rich and even then, if these self driving jalopies come into use, the end for everyone.

You know, I'm fulcking glad I'm not a youngster growing up in todays shit world. Fuck I'm depressed today.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must read this forum to get ideas Laughing
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1535798/private-car-ownership-road-driving-changes-updates
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Wow, that's quite a headline. Lots of clickbaity stuff on the right-hand side, and I must admit I couldn't help clicking a couple of titles. So it's served its purpose and made someone £0.00004. Score! Laughing

There is a side of life in this country that everyone tries to avoid at all costs, but which many cannot. If you take away all hope from people, I just don't know what the political and social consequences of that may be. This forum, and I'm making an assumption here, does come out of that basic work hard play hard ideology, whereby if you work hard, play by the rules, save money, etc. and grit your teeth and get on the daily grind, then you can have a satisfactory life. It would all come together. People bought sportsbikes before they had all the essentials lined up. People got married and had kids before they had all their living necessities secured, etc. There was this idea that even if you were from an underprivileged background, you could nevertheless enjoy life and eke out a decent existence by making the right choices. At 17 learn to drive. At 24 or whatever, learn to ride. Buy a car, buy a bike, get a mortgage, etc.

What's being proposed just puts these aspirations on hold, if not indefinitely, then seemingly indefinitely. I don't know. It just seems that if you let people have an XR3i or whatever then they'll happily look forward to the day they buy a Range Rover. Realistic aspirations of a normal life. Whereas now the govt is telling them, be happy with your bicycle and the bus, but carry on being productive regardless, go back to your tower block flat, which you rent and which can't have an EV charging port installed, and watch a £4 million Aston on Top Gear, while asset prices go through the roof, etc. Whatever.. Just don't see how this would work.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

"We will use our cars less and be able to rely on a convenient, cost-effective and coherent public transport network."

Laughing Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall

In whose dreams?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4