Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DRZ400 needing filled up before tank empty.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Scatcat1994
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:02 - 17 Nov 2021    Post subject: DRZ400 needing filled up before tank empty. Reply with quote

Hi guys.

So I recently ran out of fuel after 70 miles, flipped to reserve and went to a fuel station.

I put in 7.25 litres until it was brimmed up 1.6 gallons. I had done 78 miles by the time I filled up so 78/1.6 = 49 mpg which doesnt seem overly concerning fuel economy considering I mess about.

My concern is that the supposed capacity of the tank is 2.6 gallons with most people reporting needing to flip to reserve around the 100 mile mark.

Essentially I'm getting ok fuel economy but my bike isn't using all the fuel in the tank.

Any ideas on what to look for or how to identify issues?

I'm guessing I should have a look at the petcock for blockages or something?

Thanks guys!

-Scott

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:23 - 17 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of a reason that would happen unless maybe the reserve was blocked but that's apparently working fine.

Your fuel tap has a brass tube attached to it which sticks up into the fuel tank, usually about 2" long. On main, it draws fuel through that tube. When the fuel level goes below the height of the tube, your bike cuts out and you switch onto reserve. When on reserve, fuel runs out through a hole hear the base of the tap so you can run the tank empty.

It sounds to me like you're going onto reserve too early. The thing that determines when that happens is the length of the pipe on the fuel tap. Perhaps someone has modified it or fitted a tap off a different bike? Looking on ebay, there seem to be taps with two different lengths of tube for your bike.

What I'd do is run it to nearly on reserve then have a look in with a torch to see if that tube is near the surface of the fuel. If it is, you can check what's left in reserve by draining the tank into a fuel can. You'll need to switch the tap to the "PRI" position to make fuel run out with the engine off. If you think it's too much, you could always remove the tap and cut a bit off the top of the tube so the reserve level is where you want it.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 17 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion is the bike ran out and had to be flicked onto reserve? Assuming the reserve take-off is fixed, the only other thing is was the tank actually brim-full? If on a side-stand some bikes (not familiar with this exact model) sometimes generate a large air-space on the "uphill" side of the tank. If it's level, quite a bit can fit in there (although a gallon sounds a big difference). Does it have a centre stand? If so, fill up with it on that next time and see what happens.

Scatcat1994
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:14 - 17 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have a look at the petcock and see if it's a standard DRZ one. And yes, the bike only has a sidestand. Some more investigation required.

I might fit a transparent hose under the carb to help visualize what's going on, something not right. Cheers!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:18 - 17 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mist transparent hoses aren't safe with petrol as they either breakdown or go brittle.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:14 - 18 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Mist transparent hoses aren't safe with petrol as they either breakdown or go brittle.

Not really true, there are plenty of transparent hoses suitable for petrol. Just make sure it is actually fuel line and not designed for something else.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 18 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ400 tank capacity 10 L (2.2 imp gal; 2.6 US gal)

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 18 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
DRZ400 tank capacity 10 L (2.2 imp gal; 2.6 US gal)

Those damned yanquis with their 16 floz pints. Laughing

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 18 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the DRZ tank is anything like that which is on my XR400R then it overhangs the spine frame.Once the fuel gets below a certain level then you are left with none on the tap side but an amount on the other side.
On the bigger tank that I used to have fitted for long distance greenlaning up in Wales,I drilled and tapped a hole and fitted pipework so that the side opposite the tap would empty first.This gave me the greatest range.
With the OEM tank when the bike goes onto reserve I can get off and lean the bike over to the tap side so that I can carry on with the ride until I can refuel.

https://i.postimg.cc/fLYbyY49/20201118-145503.jpg

Always have a 'Plan B'

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 18 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work out how many miles from full to empty.
(Take it out and have a pint bottle full of petrol for when it dies to get you to a filling station.)
Zero the Trip Meter or record/memorise the odometer.
Brim the bastirt.
Run till the bastirt dies.
Subtract the odometer at brimmed from dead to find out tank range for that fill.
In future remember what the mileage was when you fill and monitor as you go.
Leave the cock on reserve and don't fackaboot with the 'main'.
Easier to get a machine with a tank level gauge.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1