Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Drill bits - which for snapped bolts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:46 - 09 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Drill bits - which for snapped bolts? Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

@Stinky where are you buying carbide centre drills cheap enough for abuse in a cordless?

Ebay. Tenner. Shit drills but it's not like it's delicate machining.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 10 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Drill bits - which for snapped bolts? Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Yeah? Ever seen one?

Literally drilled and tapped eight M8 x 1.00 - 6H threads yesterday so yes?

In the same piece also turned a M48 x 2.0 - 6H (left-handed) thread.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late to this party, But if they snap below surface so you cant get a nut on, Ive been using some door hinge drill bits,
They have a sleeve that centres the drill in the hole of the broken thread, makes drilling them out much safer imho.

Link is just an example.
https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/door-lock-hinge-drill-bit-set-self-centering-hinge-drill-bit-for-wood-plastic-26366545
https://cdn.manomano.com/images/images_products/15043011/P/26662979_2.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:10 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Bit late to this party, But if they snap below surface so you cant get a nut on, Ive been using some door hinge drill bits,
They have a sleeve that centres the drill in the hole of the broken thread, makes drilling them out much safer imho.

Link is just an example.
https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/door-lock-hinge-drill-bit-set-self-centering-hinge-drill-bit-for-wood-plastic-26366545
https://cdn.manomano.com/images/images_products/15043011/P/26662979_2.jpg

The other one you can do is make a specific drill guide. If you still have one of the studs functional, you drill two holes in a block of alloy or steel with the same hole centres as the studs. Bolt it on with the existing stud and use the other hole as a drill guide.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got snapped studs out from 5mm below the surface of the head with a mig welder. You need to keep building up the weld by blobbing more on top. Eventually you'll get enough to grab on to with mole grips. Nuts are optional.

Hand drilling stainless in situ can cause the stud to harden, as you're heating it up rather than drilling due to lack of pressure. There's also the risk of the bit wandering, as the snap is never even, and then you're shelling out for inserts.

On top of that there's the risk of having the hardened and brittle easy-out/extractors snapping off in the hole.

For those reasons I don't even bother to think about drilling any more.
Even if I had the head out and clamped tight on a pillar drill, I'd still not bother drilling as I've had a lot of success with the mig.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2