Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Intercom choices

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:52 - 19 Nov 2021    Post subject: Intercom choices Reply with quote

Me and the wife have some cheap intercoms at the minute, they work ok mostly but their not great, the volume is quite poor, at any kind of speed I just cant hear anything, so we want to upgrade to some better ones

Id read something called Mesh, or DMC, was the best to look for, but it seems to me the extra range they advertise as having only applies if you have multiple riders all connected, some say 6+ ? Most of the time its just us two, but sometimes her dad comes too, do we need this Mesh/DMC, we want some with good range, but only for 2-3 of us

Also does anyone know which have the thinnest speakers, as the helmet im thinking of buying soon, the Shoei Glamster, doesnt have any cut outs inside iirc for speakers

i dont need music capability though listening to the sat nav from phone would be useful, dont need a radio

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 19 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Cardo packtalk bold with the upgraded JBL speakers, it's surprisingly good, much better than my previous Cardo set which was ~8 years ago, the technology moved on a long way in that time.

Biggest benefit of modern systems is the ability to use in-ear headphones though rather than hard wired or proprietary plugged speakers. Even with my JBL speakers (which I use most of the time for convenience) they're not as good as a cheap £20 set of in-ear headphones.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardo Freecom 4+ user here. Works very well. Voice control is good but sometimes misinterprets muttering as an instruction (not sure what it is I say, but it most commonly puts on the radio when I'm negotiating busy roundabouts). It can be turned off via the app though.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Intercom choices Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
Me and the wife have some cheap intercoms at the minute, they work ok mostly but their not great, the volume is quite poor, at any kind of speed I just cant hear anything

Some people might consider that an advantage Wink
I know several 'pillioned-up' riders who have terrible trouble getting the intercom function to work... it's always 'discharged', 'can't get the bluetooth to work', 'dunno what's wrong with it' etc etc

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is older radio type tech viable? When I was training a few years ago, the school were reliant upon ear-pieces that hung over your lughole and radio packs about the size of 20 cigs that went into a breast pocket on a hi-vis tabard with a pokey stubby ariel that protruded.

They had a short range, but they kind of worked. Last time I looked they were cheap as chips, as in way under £50 for a pair.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:36 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a low priced option with medium features I use the Fodsports M1S Plus/Pro, £70 each.

Advantages:
Connects 8.
Range is ok, 1/4 to 1/2 a mile I figure, depending on surroundings.
Battery last a long time, about 15 hours iirc, charges quick.
Automatic reconnection.

Disadvantages:
Dunno about others but if you need to follow directions, you cannot be on intercom and listen to phone audio at the same time, you have to press the button to switch channels.
Patchy in dense woody areas, bike to bike.
The volume is good but when the unit itself "talks" ("power on/off/whatever") the volume is always the same, which is too low if you're not spotted somewhere quiet, sometimes I dunno if I managed to turn it on/off.
When repeatedly going out of range it sometimes takes a minute to reconnect the rider or glitches up requiring a restart.

https://www.fodsports.com/m1s-plus/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1