Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More and more boat migrants

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177 ... 205, 206, 207  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Yes, in the same day that the Royal Yachting Association is advising people to report and stand off rather than rescuing people at risk of dying, because the new law proposed by Priti Vacant would make their members criminally liable for people trafficing if they do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59406355

There's a sort of low cunning with that you have to admire Smile

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Yes, in the same day that the Royal Yachting Association is advising people to report and stand off rather than rescuing people at risk of dying, because the new law proposed by Priti Vacant would make their members criminally liable for people trafficing if they do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59406355

There's a sort of low cunning with that you have to admire Smile

That wouldn't stand up in court. International maritime law requires any vessel to make a rescue attempt when another vessel crew and/or passengers are in danger.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irrespective of that, no sane person could sit and watch a stranger drown.

I could possibly watch a couple of people I've met drown, but I imagine we could all do that...

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Irrespective of that, no sane person could sit and watch a stranger drown.

I could possibly watch a couple of people I've met drown, but I imagine we could all do that...

Well exactly.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:41 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

That wouldn't stand up in court. International maritime law requires any vessel to make a rescue attempt when another vessel crew and/or passengers are in danger.

You really think this will make any difference to Priti?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Islander wrote:

You really think this will make any difference to Priti?

Nope, she's a sociopath, but it won't stick. International law trumps national law.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Interesting philosophical question.. my ex-wife and her boyfriend spring to mind. Could I?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong argument. The correct one is how to stop them getting into small boats to make the crossing in the first place, especially when the French turn down every offer of help to do so, even though they aren't capable of doing it themselves it seems. They don't seem to care if lives are lost. One could be forgiven for thinking these migrants are just pawns in a political game for the French government. Disgraceful.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Wrong argument. The correct one is how to stop them getting into small boats to make the crossing in the first place, especially when the French turn down every offer of help to do so, even though they aren't capable of doing it themselves it seems. They don't seem to care if lives are lost. One could be forgiven for thinking these migrants are just pawns in a political game for the French government. Disgraceful.

I agree, and I imagine that we would behave in the same manner if we had camps in Dover full of people wanting to go to France...

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

I agree, and I imagine that we would behave in the same manner if we had camps in Dover full of people wanting to go to France...

Im not sure we would. For all we brits think we're a bit chaotic and have an islander mentality we can be remarkably sensible. Fir this reason we've been far better at integration of immigrants compared with France which continues to ghettoise immigrants with all of the problems that has brought them. I suspect we would clear any unauthorized camps amd then make some kind of better accommodation. Of course there would be the usual idiots who would decry such moves but its those kind of voices which seem to hold sway in france.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
people wanting to go to France...

Don't be silly Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to go to France.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I want to go to France.

And I'd love to send you, but I can't afford your ticket. However, I know where you can get a small dinghy for free... Razz

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:
I want to go to France.

And I'd love to send you, but I can't afford your ticket. However, I know where you can get a small dinghy for free... Razz

I appreciate the kind thought Smile

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not convinced organised crime is trafficking illegal immigrants across the Channel. It’s a device to divert guilt away from the invaders. Sure, the odd unfortunate fool who flogs a dinghy to a passing foreign fellow or takes them half way on his fishing boat might get prosecuted but that’s not the same thing, and it’s not hard to steal a dinghy.

If you’ve ever watched, “Can’t Pay, We’ll Take It Away” you’ll have noted how local council housing departments have very little to offer evictees, so how are we accommodating thousands of illegal immigrants/asylum seekers (apart from ex-army barracks which the ungrateful immigrants have declared unsuitable).

I’d immediately float/fly them back to France or their country of origin, gratis. If every border they’ve illegally crossed on their journey across Europe had stopped and turned them around or processed their claims we wouldn’t be where we are. The urge to reach the UK does tell us that the EU must be a place devoid of opportunities though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
...so how are we accommodating thousands of illegal immigrants/asylum seekers (apart from ex-army barracks which the ungrateful immigrants Labour Party agitators have declared unsuitable).

FTFY Wink

On International Maritime Law how far does that apply? In territorial waters? Estuaries? Half way up the Thames?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
On International Maritime Law how far does that apply? In territorial waters? Estuaries? Half way up the Thames?

Nobody knows. Let’s test it. Like I said, they've breached numerous “borders” yet somehow it falls to us to take responsibility. Enough.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Nobody knows. Let’s test it. Like I said, they've breached numerous “borders” yet somehow it falls to us to take responsibility. Enough.

International maritime law only applies in international waters. In territorial water national law applies.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 26 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do the ones they pick up actually go and how do they keep taking such numbers day after day.
Even if you have sympathy the practicalities of even feeding and bedding so many are hard to fathom.

It seems likely at least as many again don't get picked up but somehow melt away unseen (but to where, do they have something set up in advance this side)

When it was a big deal they arrived in Italy or wherever they all seemed to be penned up Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 26 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They end up in various hotels and B&Bs around the country until their asylum claims are processed (i.e. years and years if at all) and from there they just disappear into the modern slave trade.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 26 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Where do the ones they pick up actually go and how do they keep taking such numbers day after day.
Even if you have sympathy the practicalities of even feeding and bedding so many are hard to fathom.

It seems likely at least as many again don't get picked up but somehow melt away unseen (but to where, do they have something set up in advance this side)

When it was a big deal they arrived in Italy or wherever they all seemed to be penned up Laughing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8631499/Up-50-hotels-Britain-benefit-4billion-ten-year-contract-house-asylum-seekers.html

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 26 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it part of The Grand at Scarborough is *occupied*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
A few days ago, Polarbear wrote:
17000 have made it across the channel this year.

It's 18,000 now.

On the bright side for you 200 000 EU citizens have left the UK in the last year only:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/eu-exodus-from-uk-continues-new-data-finds/

That leaves you 182 000 free jobs to fill with new migrants. Some of them may be a lorry drivers to join the 3 lorry drievers from the EU that has taken advantage from Johnson generous visa scheme attracting brains in the UK Laughing

Good luck.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
However, the principle that refugees should seek asylum at the first, safe border crossing apparently doesn’t exist

Correct. Brexit means the UK left the EU and Dublin protocol so there is no such principle. I am sure you already know that and you voted for that to happen so no worries here Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
However, the principle that refugees should seek asylum at the first, safe border crossing apparently doesn’t exist

Correct. Brexit means the UK left the EU and Dublin protocol so there is no such principle. I am sure you already know that and you voted for that to happen so no worries here Laughing

You’re suggesting Brexit brought that disadvantage with it, but the principle was already widely ignored across the EU anyway. How do you think they wind up in Calais?

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Brexit means the UK left the EU and Dublin protocol so there is no such principle. I am sure you already know that and you voted for that to happen so no worries here Laughing

Yeah, 'cause it worked really well when we were still paying shitloads of money to be part of the club, didn't it?

Edit: Beaten to it by K J.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177 ... 205, 206, 207  Next
Page 176 of 207