Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Very Exciting International Shipping Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: The Very Exciting International Shipping Thread Reply with quote

[Merchant] seamen disappearing into a dark hole?

China's disappearing ships: The latest headache for the global supply chain

tl;dr The Great Firewall of China now encompasses the tracking systems for container ships Thinking

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:19 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like classic media sensationalism to me.

Quote:
But analysts think they've found the culprit: China's Personal Information Protection Law, which took effect November 1. It requires companies that process data to receive approval from the Chinese government before they can let personal information leave Chinese soil — a rule that reflects the fear in Beijing that such data could end up in the hands of foreign governments.

So it's a new data privacy law, and one which could take a while to iron out because every company will need to obtain a red stamp of approval before they can get back to doing what they were doing.

EU has its own data privacy hoops to jump through too.

This is also interesting:

Quote:
For example, during the pandemic Xi has doubled down on his push for self-reliance, stressing the need to create "independent and controllable" supply chains to ensure national security.

I was going to make the point that China simply doesn't care about global supply chains, because they're a hermit nation with their own booming internal economy (albeit with a lot of foreign buyers in some sectors). It could well be a mistake, but China is so culturally insular that a lot of people - including those in government - truly do not care about how such things might impact the wider world. It isn't evil, it's ignorant. Also, if they can successfully turn their economy into a closed system with minimal reliance on global trade, they've pretty much won the game.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 25 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

But! But! It's CNN! What are you saying?! Laughing Laughing Laughing

But interesting assessment of China's attitude. I seem to recall the US was very insular up until the World Wars Thinking

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 26 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: The Very Exciting International Shipping Thread Reply with quote

Quote:
[Merchant] seamen disappearing into a dark hole?

*crosses legs sheepishly*

Oh, I, uhhhh, didn't think anyone would notice they were missing
Shifty

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 26 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

But! But! It's CNN! What are you saying?! Laughing Laughing Laughing

But interesting assessment of China's attitude. I seem to recall the US was very insular up until the World Wars Thinking

I think I was a bit wrong to be honest. China might want to be a self-contained economy, but it also has 6 of the largest ports in the world, surely for international trade.

So I dunno. I think the primary reason for it all is probably the data privacy thing. It's funny really. Western haters of China will look at it and say "How dare China do a thing which we can interpret as evil China-china-china!", while also hating on China for previously not doing the thing (data privacy).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 26 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I get where you're coming from. China just want to be entirely self-sufficient and then sell surplus stuff to the world on their own terms - the exact opposite of the Globalist Conspiracy™ - the problem being their lack of certain natural resources (coal, iron) and technical expertise (machinery, semiconductor products.) The latter will cease to be a problem over time but the former starts heading towards the Lebensraum problem Thinking

But back to the problem: everyone knows Big Data is the currency du jour and everyone is doing their best to hang onto it: Russia, the EU, now China. And with regards to shipping we've recently woken up to how it literally keeps the global economy going and it doesn't take much to tip the boat over.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1