Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK jobs, fuel shortgages etc. Brexit dividents?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 28 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how “the Brexit bus” took on such significance only as a petulant Remain meme. Get over it. Besides, you realise we’re still paying a (ludicrous) divorce bill.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-great-brexit-bus-delusion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefits of all Liz Truss "deals" hardly cover half of the price of her private jet flight to Australia now. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Brexit the gift that keeps giving BS.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/furious-farmers-lash-out-at-australia-trade-deal-with-stinging-criticism-of-liz-truss/ar-AATcl4G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:33 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS Val, you do know that should sound just as fanatic as Donk?

Just give it a fucking rest and thats coming from a fucking remainer.

It's doine. Fucking get over it. It's not like you live in the fucking UK and are affected in any way shape or form.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
The benefits of all Liz Truss "deals" hardly cover half of the price of her private jet flight to Australia now. Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/furious-farmers-lash-out-at-australia-trade-deal-with-stinging-criticism-of-liz-truss/ar-AATcl4G

I didn't vote for Brexit to get trade deals though Confused

There are absolutely economic benefits from Brexit like removing excessive bureaucracy and artificially subsidising British industry to better balance our economy, but neither have been done on any significant scale yet, so you can't say they have failed or not.

I voted for Brexit to slap the face of metropolitan elites who treat working class people like vermin which I see as totally unacceptable and had to be brought to an end.

And clearly, it worked like a charm as you remind us regularly Cool

RhynoCZ wrote:
Globalisation makes stuff cheaper and more convenient, available, to those for whom the price of a product/service is the deciding factor, in other words for the majority of people. We just got too spoiled to pay extra for a product/service made/done by ''our people'' in ''our country''.

Also, and this might be specific to Slavic countries, many of the blue collar families raise white collar workers, suited for clean office jobs.

Oh the EU has been amazing for Eastern Europe. The fact that some of them complain just shows that some people are never satisfied Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
FFS Val, you do know that should sound just as fanatic as Donk?

Just give it a fucking rest and thats coming from a fucking remainer.

It's doine. Fucking get over it. It's not like you live in the fucking UK and are affected in any way shape or form.

You're not a fanatic if you do it for $$$ Wink

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Val wrote:

There are absolutely economic benefits from Brexit like removing excessive bureaucracy and artificially subsidising British industry to better balance our economy, but neither have been done on any significant scale yet, so you can't say they have failed or not.

Not only have our new freedoms not been fully exercised yet, the predicted disasters which would befall us from Day One did not happen. We seem to be doing quite well. Very Happy

Union leaders are professional pessimists. However, the body of the article says,
Quote:
While critical of the deal he admitted that higher valued products such as in the dairy sector would benefit.

In total, the deal is expected to unlock £10.4 billion of additional trade.

Officials also say it will boost the UK's bid to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) of 13 rapidly developing countries.

As well as quotas being removed on imports, those businesses currently curtailed by restrictions on export numbers will be liberated.

Furthermore, if trade deals with more agriculture-focussed economies mean we can import enough food to survive and thrive I’m all for that. I’m sad that we’re not self sufficient in food but how many advanced economies are?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Not only have our new freedoms not been fully exercised yet

Care to share one new Brexit freedom that you personally have from Brexit Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

the predicted disasters which would befall us from Day One did not happen. We seem to be doing quite well. Very Happy

Ermmm: Define quite well? You mean literally walking into Brexit shits Laughing

Quote:

Huw Merriman MP steps in poo in Kent layby on Brexit lorry trip
As he stepped off the minibus he found what he thought to be terra firma but was actually human excrement.

Dover TAP has been deployed 13 times this month after new Brexit regulations came in, leading to Brexit queues that could be seen from space.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/minister-steps-in-human-poo-in-layby-on-brexit-trip-to-kent-261522/

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, we haven’t even applied our new freedoms yet, and the forecast disasters haven’t happened either. The sky didn’t fall. Remainers and the EU exaggerate their significance.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:35 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Quote:

As he stepped off the minibus he found what he thought to be terra firma but was actually human excrement.

Dover TAP has been deployed 13 times this month after new Brexit regulations came in, leading to Brexit queues that could be seen from space.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/minister-steps-in-human-poo-in-layby-on-brexit-trip-to-kent-261522/

TBH I count this as a 'win' for Brexit.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Val wrote:

TBH I count this as a 'win' for Brexit.

I will give you that one Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 31 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the vaccine dodging f#ckwits from eastern Europe would fuck off, theyre part of the triumvirate of idiots who plague the health and care sector. The other two are middle aged wifies whos entire source of information is "insta' 'n Facebook" and Africans similarly obsessed with social media who add praying to sky fairies as their chosen weapon against viruses.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:08 - 31 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Uk government should use its new freedoms to drop VAT on fuel right now, just because they can. Dropping the tax take from 20 to 10% in the face of a massive price increase won't cost them anything but will send the right message.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 31 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I think the Uk government should use its new freedoms to drop VAT on fuel right now, just because they can. Dropping the tax take from 20 to 10% in the face of a massive price increase won't cost them anything but will send the right message.

After today's showing in parliament it wouldn't surprise me if Johnson floats such an idea in an attempt to rescue himself.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 287 days between these two posts...

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 14 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Brexit benefit. The UK has lost 1.5 trillion

1 500 000 000 000

and France is number 1 stock market trader in Europe now

https://i.imgur.com/9mIzshh.jpg

I am sure all Brexit guys here have voted that to happen.

Project fear etc. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:45 - 14 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loss is probably the wrong term here though.

That would be like saying a shop kept 20 tins of beans in last month and only keeps 10 tins of beans in this month has "lost" 10 tins of beans.

It hasn't lost the money, people are buying and selling elsewhere, which isn't suprising because the stock of sour grapes flew off the shelves like hot cakes. I believe the French keep extra in the room out the back.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 14 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A government of Remainers slow to discard repressive EU laws while simultaneously raising taxes.

According to The Spectator,

Quote:
A large part of Paris’s out-performance can be attributed to a single business, Bernard Arnault’s luxury goods empire LVMH (indeed, Arnault reclaimed his place as the world’s richest man last year before losing it again to Elon Musk). LMVH’s share price has doubled over the last five years, powered by the insatiable demand in Asia for high-end brands, taking it to a market value of 350 billion euros (£308 billion).

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and France is number 1 stock market trader in Europe now

Another good thing; that’ll really annoy the Germans. Laughing

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best stock market and they're still getting on rubber dingys to flee the place
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Ste wrote:
Your tears make it all worthwhile. Dance!

Not crying mate it is schadenfreude Laughing

Just had a full tank at my local Aral petrol stations and there are no queues here whatsoever, also no fuel ration books either you can get as many fuel as you want Laughing

Not that I need it because my new German car is hybrid and I can drive pretty much only electric for the distances I do here.

https://i.imgur.com/lmWLmZh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Hex4OvA.jpg

The petrol station is literally empty:

https://i.imgur.com/L4M9zGz.jpg

And my boxer is happy too:

https://i.imgur.com/miJ8Fwo.jpg

Good luck with Brexit new bright future Mr. Green

Why did you buy a left-hand drive car?

The steering is on the wrong side mate.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 28 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Why did you buy a left-hand drive car?

The steering is on the wrong side mate.

Because of Brexit. The UK government is doing the same. Government's next fleet of ministerial vehicles will be made in Germany due to supply chain issues exacerbated by Brexit. Laughing Laughing Laughing

The Independent reports that the Metropolitan Police will be axing the armoured Jaguar XJs in exchange for Audi A8s - built in the German state of Baden-Württemberg - because no British car maker is “able to meet the requirements of the tender”.

Another Brexit gift:

2016: Brexit to give £350m. a week to the NHS
2022: Brexit costs the UK £750m. a week (Economist)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:46 - 28 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long time since Jaguar was a British car manufacturer. They are a branch of Tata which is Indian.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:48 - 28 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Because of Brexit. The UK government is doing the same. Government's next fleet of ministerial vehicles will be made in Germany due to supply chain issues exacerbated by Brexit. Laughing Laughing Laughing

The Independent reports that the Metropolitan Police will be axing the armoured Jaguar XJs in exchange for Audi A8s - built in the German state of Baden-Württemberg - because no British car maker is “able to meet the requirements of the tender”.

The article you're referring to is here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-ministerial-government-cars-made-in-germany-audi-b2250544.html

But that's behind a 10 foot paywall so here's a 12 foot ladder to get over the wall: https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk%2Fpolitics%2Fuk-ministerial-government-cars-made-in-germany-audi-b2250544.html

It's not a very useful article as there's no details about what exactly is meant by saying that no British car maker is “able to meet the requirements of the tender”. To understand exactly what the problem is, it would be helpful to know what requirements of the tender can't be met.

Despite being MSN News, this article provides more information.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-means-no-british-manufacturer-able-to-build-uk-government-s-ministerial-cars/ar-AA15Cu5i?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fd0f2448a5db439681460422d7906cc5

"Jaguar has provided British government ministerial cars for more than three decades but its plants have had to pause production at points over the past few years due to problems obtaining parts."

Now we're getting somewhere.

So what parts have Jaguar had problems obtaining in the past few years?

In April 2021...

"Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) is shutting its two main car factories temporarily due to a shortage of computer chips.

The difficulties at Britain's biggest carmaker echo similar problems at other manufacturers, including Ford, who have been hit by a global shortage of chips.

A mixture of strong demand and Covid shutdowns at chipmakers has also hit phone, TV and video games companies.

JLR said there would be a "limited period" of closure at its Halewood and Castle Bromwich sites from Monday.

Tata-owned JLR said in a statement: "We have adjusted production schedules for certain vehicles which means that our Castle Bromwich and Halewood manufacturing plants will be operating a limited period of non-production from Monday 26th April.

"We are working closely with affected suppliers to resolve the issues and minimise the impact on customer orders wherever possible." Production at a third factory, at Solihull, will continue.

The Castle Bromwich factory makes the Jaguar XE, XF and F-Type models, and employs about 1,900 people. Halewood makes the Range Rover, Evoque and the Land Rover Discovery Sport, and has about 4,000 workers.

The Covid-19 pandemic has driven up demand for semiconductor chips for use in electronics such as computers, as people worked from home, and suppliers are struggling to adjust.

There has also been a fire at a Japanese company, part of Renesas Electronics, one of the world's biggest makers of semiconductors for the car industry.

Also on Thursday, France's Renault warned that the chip shortage was worsening. On Wednesday, carmaker Stellantis, which owns the UK Vauxhall brand, said it would replace digital speedometers with more old-fashioned analogue ones in one of its Peugeot models, as the fallout continues.

Daimler, General Motors and Volkswagen have all suspended production lines at various times in recent weeks."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56841946

Could you explain how any of that was caused by Brexit?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 28 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh! The police are already driving all sorts of foreign-made vehicles, and since those require a degree of specialist conversion it was probably always going to coalesce to a limited number of suppliers able willing to meet the requirements of the tender.

As an EU devotee Val is probably wondering why we didn’t just bribe someone.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:12 - 28 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an official.jag engine works two pence and I know they haven't been British for years.

And yes I was presented with it in the Bridgend engine works after I toured the engine plant. At the time they were talking about the new engine for the Aston Martin that turned turned out to be the DBS.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 29 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Could you explain how any of that was caused by Brexit?

Sorry, Val's handler didn't provide that information.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12