Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

help with sons DT125 charging

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

darrenma
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:20 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: help with sons DT125 charging Reply with quote

My son has restored a 1975 dt 125 a few years ago but has never charged the battery properly and hes away at school now but would like to fix it for him when he returns for Christmas.
I am in the need of some carbon brushes and I suspect the volt reg is bad. any suggestions on where to source another reg and brushes? Reg doesn't have to be original style,can be new tech.
Thanks all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:28 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrexworld.co.uk do a variety of voltage regulators.

Brushes part number: 1018111110.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324890015458

darrenma
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:00 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks stinkwheel, will check these links out. Have you used these regulators before with success?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also:

https://yambits.co.uk/parts_for_yamaha_dt125.html

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:16 - 28 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrenma wrote:
thanks stinkwheel, will check these links out. Have you used these regulators before with success?

Yes, but looking more closely at a wiring diagram, you've got a 6v 12 dynamo with a switch-type regulator so it's a little different and electrex don't do one. I should have realised this when you said it had carbon brushes. Very few Japanese bikes use this system although it's common on classic brit stuff and communist era Eastern European bikes.

For a (more) modern alternative which is solid state rather than points, Wassel make one and Boyer make one. Wassel is cheaper, Boyer is better. I'm unconvinced that the Boyer is three times better though (it IS three times more expensive).

Wassel Part: 100221N. Boyer part: PBOX00306

Last edited by stinkwheel on 11:48 - 01 Dec 2021; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:52 - 28 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also occurrs to me that you might even be able to fix the existing regulator. If you can get the top off, there's a set of points inside that might just need the contact face gently filing.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 28 Nov 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

I do not remember dt's having charging system brushes or a "dynastart" engine starter system ( Suzy yes), but CMSNL do list a dynastart model, USA .

Check your wiring diagram for the wires and control box.

A dynamo system of that era will have a control box with contacts....possibly 4 on the dynastart system...

The wiring diagram may show control box internals....

I am sure the dt forum will know exactly.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 28 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a UK model for that year it'd be a DT125E where the starter does double-duty as the generator.

darrenma
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:29 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,thanks guys. So I'm a bit embarrassed in the fact I had nothing to do with this rebuild, except for the engine. So this is all new to me but would love to have it charging for him for Christmas when he comes home from school. Because it has a 12v battery in it I thought it was a 12v system, so its a 6V?
And yes it has a switch type reg with points in it.
So maybe I should buy a 6V battery and see what happens?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:45 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrenma wrote:
Wow,thanks guys. So I'm a bit embarrassed in the fact I had nothing to do with this rebuild, except for the engine. So this is all new to me but would love to have it charging for him for Christmas when he comes home from school. Because it has a 12v battery in it I thought it was a 12v system, so its a 6V?
And yes it has a switch type reg with points in it.
So maybe I should buy a 6V battery and see what happens?

Damn, you're right, it's 12v. I'd made an unwarranted and incorrect assumption that it was 6V by its age and cc.

Ok, boyer part: PBOX00312

Or I found this neat little one: https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product/negative-earth-6-12v-solid-state-dynamo-regulator-100w/

One of the "metal box" bosche ones they use on older BMWs should also work.

Now, the other thing is, you can do a rough and ready check if it's functioning. If you're getting 12v at the brushes, it ought to be charging. If there's 12v there, it's probably not the regulator.

darrenma
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:18 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,so I will source some brushes hopefully local, because if I remember correctly he said one was not in good shape, and fire it up and check for 12v at the brushes where they mount to the plate I assume?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Is this a dynastart unit that normally is a dynamo, and, when the starter function is used, the dynamo becomes a starter motor ???

If your wiring diagram is the correct one it will show you this and what voltage the system is ???

If just a dynamo only, depending on system, the control box will have at least one set of points, the "cut out" points as they are known.

Post a picture of the "dynamo" and the control box before doing anything else.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

I think it would be a good idea to find your exact bike on CMSNL and post the exploded view of the Genny area of the engine...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:39 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrenma wrote:
Ok,so I will source some brushes hopefully local, because if I remember correctly he said one was not in good shape, and fire it up and check for 12v at the brushes where they mount to the plate I assume?

Tell you what, it's a complex system because it's trying to do two things with one componant (starter and charging) and it's a dynamo not an alternator. The regulator is probably the simplest part because it's effectively just a relay.

There is a very detailed testing procedure for the whole system in the workshop manual.

Attached in a .zip file.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 02 Dec 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Hi stinkwheel, my internet phone won't open the file, is there a way to view it on here, in the he manuals or wiring diagram section maybe as I am sure it would be an interesting read, please ?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:40 - 02 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: T Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Hi stinkwheel, my internet phone won't open the file, is there a way to view it on here, in the he manuals or wiring diagram section maybe as I am sure it would be an interesting read, please ?

No, it's too big to upload. It's just a .PDF in a compressed folder but it's 20MB and you can only upload up to 8MB .pdf files.

If you have something like google drive, you should be able to download it to there and extract and view the file.

darrenma
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:59 - 02 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the bike fired up last night and no volts going to reg, so I followed instructions on how to check the output of dynamo, no power there either. Checked continuity on the yoke to various parts, brushes, points,etc and everything is grounded which I dont think is right. Next step is to pull dynamo off and check wiring for shorts and overall condition.

darrenma
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:32 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

so went through all the cleanliness connections a brushes and all seems good.I am and always have been wondering about the connections, what is connected to what tab.
The light green, orange,white and black are straight forward as indicated on the housing, but what about these fellas, see pic. I cant find any close up shots o
showing these wires, hoping someone here can help confirm location.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1975+yamaha+dt+125+power+dynamo+wiring+diagram&ei=gOStYf_gH-2ChbIP3tG0-AY&start=0&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwj_oKif-s70AhVtQUEAHd4oDW84ChDy0wN6BQgBEOkB&biw=1440&bih=735&dpr=1

darrenma
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:58 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think the smaller wires in question are for the shunt coils and I think the small wire(shunt?) on left goes to the dark green(F) terminal and I think the shunt/? wire on the right may go to the white (A)??
I have seen one decent pick from a place that sells electronic ignition kits, vape i think, but of course it doesn't show everything clear.
I don't want to hook things up without confirmation because I think I could cause some damage.
Also I cant seem to find info what terminal the + brushes connect to, white (A) I think.
everything I look at seems good, even ohm readings and continuity readings, I think its just the wiring hooked up incorrectly.
Hopefully someone can supply some clarity.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

If you have the correct wiring diagram then you have the info...

Following "british" convention, F suggests Field

A suggests Armature..

Any letters on the control box ?

Any concise info on the yam dt forum ?

darrenma
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:00 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bikenut, that clears things up a bit,A for armature,F for field.No letters on the control box can be seen. Funny thing about the manual, I remember looking over my sons shoulder when he was trying to figure this out and not seeing any clear wire terminations. Looked at the manual we have again , and no clear info as to where which wire goes where.
With some fuzzy pics I think I figured out the left small wire in the pic goes to the dark green wire(F), but the other wire is still a mystery, no clear info.
Is there a DT125 specific forum on here? sorry ,new to this.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Not wanting to besmall this place, Google "Yamaha DT forum"...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the guys you want to see:

https://www.yamaha-enduros.com/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1