Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 12 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

'91 - Put a charged battery in her. Changed oil (no nasty surprises). Replaced random assortment of bolts on fairing with something more uniform. Carbs need balancing (she knocks on idle, quite common). Brakes need a clean (she's been stood). Reconnected rear indicator wire. I suspect she would go through an MOT once brakes are sorted.

'96 - replaced crappy 2 part clamp with a stainless Turbo V-Band.

jonquirk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 12 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a Scott Oiler to my BMW G310R.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 13 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

'91 - pulled calipers, cleaned, added fresh grease. Still binding so we looked at the lever. The bastid is sticking. Sort that tomorrow. Gave her a wash and basic polish. Replace more random fasteners. Failed to remember it has a fuel tap, starved it of fuel.

https://i.imgur.com/GIRH7ccl.jpg

'96 - looks like the starter clutch is playing up. I have a spare, will add it to the list of shit that needs doing.

jonquirk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 13 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike has been cleaned (not by me I hasten to add) and treated with ACF50.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

After replacing the base gasket on the project, which was leaking in air, the bike now idles nicely and reliably and revs with small throttle input without revving to hell and not coming back to a more acceptable idle.

Then I realise the carb is over-flowing. One of the floats has the tiniest hole in it (can't find it at all), but is full of petrol. I have a spare somewhere.. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 16 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

China dash bulbs arrived earlier than expected, it's comforting to have that incandescent glow behind the clocks, much more soothing than bright LEDs and they're more reliable in my experience.

Having a working oil pressure light stops me having niggling doubts too.
Not that a 90s era Honda would ever dump its sump!

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 17 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
After replacing the base gasket on the project, which was leaking in air, the bike now idles nicely and reliably and revs with small throttle input without revving to hell and not coming back to a more acceptable idle.

Then I realise the carb is over-flowing. One of the floats has the tiniest hole in it (can't find it at all), but is full of petrol. I have a spare somewhere.. Cool

Installed spare (new) float. Old one had perhaps seen some stress fracture from interference, the brass had 4 cracks in the same area. It's also just generally old and not lived in nice conditions. The bike has been off the road since '83 and disasembled, at what's more was in a food in '18 (or '19). So it was not a nice environment inside that carb when I first opened it up.

Anyway. Test ride was semi successful. Carb needs some more tuning, but engine seems to pull nicely (strong and linear torque delivery), but amongst the other niggles, one more serious.. The clutch IS extremely difficult to pull in. Need to take that clutch cover off and see what's happening. Not sure if a bearing issue (I wouldn't have thought so), or the clutch thrust system is having issues. I definately think so!

EDIT: Took the clutch apart. The clutch thrust bearing is beyond it's life i'd say! Laughing Nothing else seems wrong with the clutch mechanism.

https://i.ibb.co/jfDfBWJ/clutchbearing.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 21 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got talked into going to visit Aylesford H.D. yesterday, and ha a little sit on their new Sportster, only been out two weeks.

Looks very "Tron".
14K before add-ons, though Shocked ... so, maybe not.

Might take it out for a little ride next time I am down that way, anyhow, just for teh lulz Thinking

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:57 - 21 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to see how that new sporster sells.
It should have decent power and handling now. Problem is that I doubt it will sound or feel like a proper Harley, now that it's a water-cooled engine with overhead cams.

So it's overpriced compared the Japanese bikes that it's like (on paper) but not Harley-ish enough for many Harley fans.

Also, 14k. One of the selling points of the last generation of sportsters was that they were relatively cheap, I think they started at 8k.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 28 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the "new" bike the other day with a view to balancing carbs. It reeked of petrol. a quick look see showed the braided fuel supply hose was wet all the way to the tap, so tap was leaky. Managed to snag a tank, sender and tap in decent nick as a unit. Went to fit today after the wind and rain had fecked off... Should have looked closer.
https://i.imgur.com/ZxMrg7wl.jpg
Turns out the fuel line was so perished the fuel had wicked up the braid and soaked it. They had also rammed 8mm line on an 11mm filter.
https://i.imgur.com/uzS2TGol.jpg
Had some fuel line in my toolbox, so that was fitted. Can't believe they were riding it like that, it was literally dripping.
https://i.imgur.com/eRmcoZJl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Gv9scdHl.jpg

Also looked at bodywork. Lots of bad fibreglass repair. I forsee heavy use of the kilo of black ABS and a Soldering iron in my future, see if I can salvage it before it's completely fucked.
https://i.imgur.com/A528UDYl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fPxoNwTl.jpg

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 28 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Went to the "new" bike the other day with a view to balancing carbs. It reeked of petrol. a quick look see showed the braided fuel supply hose was wet all the way to the tap, so tap was leaky. Managed to snag a tank, sender and tap in decent nick as a unit. Went to fit today after the wind and rain had fecked off... Should have looked closer.
https://i.imgur.com/ZxMrg7wl.jpg
Turns out the fuel line was so perished the fuel had wicked up the braid and soaked it. They had also rammed 8mm line on an 11mm filter.
https://i.imgur.com/uzS2TGol.jpg
Had some fuel line in my toolbox, so that was fitted. Can't believe they were riding it like that, it was literally dripping.
https://i.imgur.com/eRmcoZJl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Gv9scdHl.jpg

Also looked at bodywork. Lots of bad fibreglass repair. I forsee heavy use of the kilo of black ABS and a Soldering iron in my future, see if I can salvage it before it's completely fucked.
https://i.imgur.com/A528UDYl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fPxoNwTl.jpg

That fuel filter should have a rubberised shroud around it, that keeps it upright, and connects to the bracket that it's currently running horizontally through. Beware of aftermarket fuel hose, where it's located is tight, and any bends in the run can become kinks when you lower the tank. It starves the carbs of fuel when the throttle is opened up, sometimes enough to drain power after the float chambers are emptied.

For those reasons I ended up buying the OEM set.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 28 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
That fuel filter should have a rubberised shroud around it, that keeps it upright, and connects to the bracket that it's currently running horizontally through. Beware of aftermarket fuel hose, where it's located is tight, and any bends in the run can become kinks when you lower the tank. It starves the carbs of fuel when the throttle is opened up, sometimes enough to drain power after the float chambers are emptied.

Yeah the fuel line routing is... fun...

Think I managed it with the exception of something rubbing on the fuel tap. This is more to stop it leaking (and stinking) though, I need to order a new filter anyway, so I'll get some line while I'm at it. I can only really see the same reinforced FI line that I already had, which adds bulk, is not ideal, but I doubt anything with a thinner wall isn't going to like E10 much.

Wasn't aware of the rubber mounting. I cable tied it. Will see if I can find one.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 29 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a semi-successful test ride on my '74 MZ ES250/2 on Saturday covering 55 miles (last ride was in '82), despite the wind and cold I at least didn't break down (at all, but mostly said..) for electrical reasons! (I think I am lucky all the electrics are not broken down, ie coil, etc)

There are some things to sort- the speedo has stopped working, so will have to take that apart, but currently the cables are all in the process of having some heatshrink around some of the gaps of broken outter sheaths, and being lubricated. I have a number of spares cables from other models of mz's but they may not be appropriate- however they'll be test fitted before putting the originals on.

Also have a lead as to why the bike is running a bit lean, so that'll be no problem to resolve.
Great handling bike though.. comfortable.. and a torquey thing too, even for the 4 gears.

https://mzriders.com/download/file.php?id=6718&sid=6424d1201a9baf636f18d0689086b4bd&mode=view

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 30 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Yeah the fuel line routing is... fun...

Think I managed it with the exception of something rubbing on the fuel tap. This is more to stop it leaking (and stinking) though, I need to order a new filter anyway, so I'll get some line while I'm at it. I can only really see the same reinforced FI line that I already had, which adds bulk, is not ideal, but I doubt anything with a thinner wall isn't going to like E10 much.

Wasn't aware of the rubber mounting. I cable tied it. Will see if I can find one.

It's number two here.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5055701/vfr750ft-1996-e/fuel-tank-vfr750frfsftfv

I forgot you've got two of these buggers, so you can hopefully see the correct routing on the other one. The whole fuel run from tank to carbs is finicky on the CBR6, this looks the same, just a wrong filter length, or something not angled just right can kink the fuel delivery hose.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 30 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I forgot you've got two of these buggers, so you can hopefully see the correct routing on the other one.

The 4th gen is slightly saner, as the tap faces the RHS, so you don't have the initial 180 bend on a tight radius to worry about. I suspect a lot of people/dealers bitched about it on the 3rd gen to get it changed.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The frame for the old Triumph project is back from the powder coaters:

https://i.imgur.com/1UGTtyN.jpg?1

We just need to get the tyres done and hopefully it'll be rolling by the end of the week Smile

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics, but got around to wiring in the aux lights. What a faff for something supposedly "plug n play". Fairings off, wiring looms spliced in multiple places (following an awful lot of prodding around with a multimeter to work out what does what). At one point it looked like spaghetti spilling out of the side of the bike. Got there eventually though and all is good now, apart from the Denali crash-bar mounts which have a stupid (and crude) allen key adjustment, the type which will tend to easily loosen if you twist it slightly. As it's a recessed bolt, no space for a washer either. Will have to see how that one pans out . . .

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
No pics, but got around to wiring in the aux lights. What a faff for something supposedly "plug n play". Fairings off, wiring looms spliced in multiple places (following an awful lot of prodding around with a multimeter to work out what does what). At one point it looked like spaghetti spilling out of the side of the bike. Got there eventually though and all is good now, apart from the Denali crash-bar mounts which have a stupid (and crude) allen key adjustment, the type which will tend to easily loosen if you twist it slightly. As it's a recessed bolt, no space for a washer either. Will have to see how that one pans out . . .

Threadlock?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threadlock?[/quote]

Yeah on all of the threaded connections that didn't have nylocks on, but even so - the bolt went into threaded alloy, so there's a limit to the force I can apply. But any slight torque on the bracket has the ability to loosen the joint. It's a bad design. I've tried a thin rubber gasket on one side to see if that helps as it should help resist movement of the bracket by adding friction between the two surfaces.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient fusebox with glass fuses replaced with a modern one, with bladed fuses. Not because it's better but because the copper contacts on the old fuse holders get corroded over time, creating heat and resistance. I'm going to do some further work on the electrics, and start hardwiring some stuff, in order to do away with old connectors.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

'91 Viffer.

Poked the jet visible with a cleaner in the hope the knock at idle is a jet blockage and not carbs out of whack. It wasn't.
https://i.imgur.com/YiQq3gol.jpg

Next we attacked the sticky throttle. First time I've seen paint and copperslip inside a throttle tube.
https://i.imgur.com/LagWR3ol.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bqggMbUl.jpg

We then plastic welded a bit on the fairing. It's had extensive, but not great, fibreglass repair in the past. One had failed, it's a known weak spot anyway, fairing is very thin at that point.
https://i.imgur.com/T4leI5sl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jvxrmH5l.jpg

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:31 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

washed and dried, full of ACF50 and Muc Off HCB1, locked up

hopefully use it again a few times over winter

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 22 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project Scrappy Hyosung is making progress.
The engine is now running, thank you Seastar Super Bikes.
I’ve got both brakes to give an overhaul.
Braided hoses whilst this is done.

I’ve found a crinkle on the frame, however it’s not structural, it’s below the foot peg .
There’s a tiny tiny bit of corrosion.
I’ve banged and prodded the frame and all feels strong and sound.

Working on getting a handlebar lever for the choke (not easy).
The rear seat lock is fubar, but that can wait.

Slow progress is slow, I don’t mind.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:39 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the old Triumph is still in my father-in-law's kitchen. "Fuck it, I'll just lay down some of those foam squares and we'll work on it here." Smile

Got as far as putting in the headstock bearings and front forks. Unfortunately upon inspection the old bobbins from the swing arm are in a poor state so won't get it rolling till some new ones turn up.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:15 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered a pair of these (EL800). be here later in the week, hopefully for fitting the weekend...

Put a pair on the last bike, bloody brilliant.

These however, got put on and promptly taken off (tech-7 Bar Muffs)....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 13 of 47