Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice needed for a newbie

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:21 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Advice neede by a newbie. What can I ride? Reply with quote

Thank you Scotsman,

your emboldened section gives the answer. That comment on the "gov.UK" site "(unless riding a motorcycle)" should have tacked on the end "and accompanied by a qualified instructor in radio contact". A simple addition that would not lead to confusion.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:39 - 18 Nov 2021    Post subject: Update #2 Reply with quote

Hi All,

another step towards a "proper" bike.

Just sat, and passed, my Theory and Hazard Perception tests. (98% and 75%).

Now to book the next step, a DAS course.

Will update you in due course.

Cheers
Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 18 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might get offers on during the winter months. No better time to learn either - learn in shit weather and you get to use someone else's bike on salty roads. Then it's summer time with a license Smile

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:03 - 18 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:42 - 20 Nov 2021    Post subject: Any comments on this bike? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I got in touch with my local riding school, the one that got me through the CBT, with a view to taking a DAS course, and was advised that a good first step may be a "taster" on a 600cc+ bike. Well they know better than I what is the best "next step" so I agreed to this, and booked for late on in January, the first date they had available.

I asked what bike I would be using and was told that it would be a Suzuki SV650. Can anyone with experience of this bike offer any advice on how it handles, things to be aware of etc? I have read the spec on on it and it seems, at first sight, to be quite appropriate for me. A reasonable ride height, a smidgeon lower my YS125, and fairly narrow, so I am not expecting it to feel uncomfortable to begin with.

I would welcome any comments that may help me on my way.

Thanks in advance,

Tony Norton

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 20 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have one for a couple of years for a period of downsizing, it is easy to ride and will not surprise you with powerbands or character-forming handling quirks.
I found it uncomfortable on back and bum for long rides and be wary of ambitious overtaking e.g. Trying to keep up with someone else as you can rather run out of power.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 20 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local school did a similar thing: ten quid to ride on one of their bikes for an hour or so. Yes, you can see what you think of a "big bike" on the cheap but also the instructors can get an idea of how much training you might require.

The SV650 is unlikely to get you into any trouble, good choice for a learner.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an SV650 (2015 model) for my DAS and I really liked it, you'll have no problems with it and it's easy to move around off the bike too (part of MOD 1 test).

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:27 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re; DAS and Suzuki SV650 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

thanks for your helpful, and encouraging, comments on the SV 650.

Can't wait for 27th Jan to come around.

Cheers
Tony N

deadbat
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:50 - 02 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done my DAS on MT-07 which would probably be similar to SV650.

I would recommend getting in touch with a few different riding schools, check the reviews, etc. so definitely shop around before you commit. And above all enjoy it.

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:21 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Update following SV650 "Taster" Reply with quote

Hi All,

have just got back from my 650 taster session. Plans have changed somewhat. The taster went reasonably well, if one discounts the couple of times are dropped it, both at 0mph as a result of "You didn't stop in a straight line and get both feet down.".

As far as the bike went, it was a lowered SV650 so I was able to get on and off with no more difficulty than on my YS125. I didn't like the fact that, compared to my YS125 I had to put my feet more towards the back of the back of the bike to find the pegs and there was, I had to admit, way too much power for me, an octogenarian learner, to safely handle. The merest touch on the throttle resulted in a kick up the arse, swiftly followed by an "oh shit" and a rapid closing of the throttle and the resultant engine braking causing an equally violent deceleration. Result, I was going up the road in a series of jerks. I felt I had to feather the clutch to bring it under smooth control.

In summary, way too much power and way too much weight.

Discussion with my instructor yielded the proposition that I look for a low seated lighter bike, up to 47bhp and whatever engine size comes within the forthcoming regulations. Keep it at home and my instructor would come round to mine and take me out for some supervised practice, until such time as he is happy that I could go for the A2 test, with a view to gradually working my way up the scale.

Research is now needed to ascertain what make and model bike might be suitable. I'm fortunate enough to be able to own 2 bikes at once, having a double garage, but what would be the second? That's a major question.

If you have any ideas I would be pleased to hear them.

All the best, and happy, safe, biking.

Tony N

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:33 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bike I learned on had quite a jerky throttle, but i learned to tame it, i wouldnt let one bad session put you off, the far stronger brakes take some getting used to aswell

plenty bikes you can restrict, then once your comfortable maybe put back to the original power

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/advice/best/a2-licence-motorbikes/

There's your list Smile

I think the SV650 would rate at the perkier end of the range whereas the Dull but probably less threatening CB500 would be at the other.

Clutch control as well as throttle control. Allow it to behave like a switch and you'll get that behaviour.

I always found the SV riding position a little too 'racer' fir me.

Last edited by UncleFester on 17:44 - 27 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:43 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to learn some finesse with the throttle.

A typical car cannot achieve the acceleration of events modestly powerful bike and every time I rode a 125 i used the throttle as an on/off switch.

The throttle on my rg125 (which was far faster than a ybr) stuck on full one day and I literally rode the bike 14 miles home, including all the way out of Bath and then through a nearby town using just the red on/off switch to control my speed.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, it's because you're used to the on-off nature of a 125. The SV650 isn't a powerful bike by modern standards, but it's still got at least 6 times the power of your 125 and loads more torque.

You will get used to it fairly quickly. Thumbs Up

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I noticed on my first day out on the actual road doing my DAS is that my little Zontes ZT125-U can be man-handled around roads a lot more than the Suzuki SV650 I was on could.

I found I was running out wider coming out junctions, the instructor told me it was because I need to control the throttle application more.

On my 125 I have wide open throttle for the majority of the time, on my 650 it take much more control and I find that I am actually just rolling/ decelerating a lot of the time now.

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:06 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Uodate 27-01-22 Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I didn't expect such rapid responses.

Brun, I'm not sure I can go for the idea of restricting a larger bike. At my age I don't think I can yet handle the weight of anything 500cc or above. I'm reckoning to look for something around 400cc for the time being.

I've downloaded the suggested list Uncle B and will sit and will peruse that. I've added it to my list of acceptable 400cc bikes from .gov.uk

Nobby, I am sure that ride home was, to say the least, "interesting". I would suggest that one would need several years' experience in the saddle to cope with that! Reminds me of the time when I had to drive my motorhome from Somerset to Bournemouth, trying never to use the brakes, because the pads were worn down to the metal. That wasn't much fun!

Cheers, and thanks again.

Tony N

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:08 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Uodate 27-01-22 Reply with quote

[quote="Tony Norton"]Thanks guys, I didn't expect such rapid responses.

Brun, I'm not sure I can go for the idea of restricting a larger bike. At my age I don't think I can yet handle the weight of anything 500cc or above. I'm reckoning to look for something around 400cc for the time being.

I've downloaded the suggested list Uncle B and will sit and will peruse that. I've added it to my list of acceptable 400cc bikes from .gov.uk

Nobby, I am sure that ride home was, to say the least, "interesting". I would suggest that one would need several years' experience in the saddle to cope with that! Reminds me of the time when I had to drive my motorhome from Somerset to Bournemouth, trying never to use the brakes, because the pads were worn down to the metal. That wasn't much fun!

Cheers, and thanks again.

Tony N

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:10 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: taster update. Reply with quote

Hi Scotsman,

I can relate to your experience. I don't think my instructor noticed just how often I was pulling out the clutch and coasting!

Tony

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my DAS 2 years ago on a cb650r which is fairly similar in weight I found it very difficult to move about to the point where I was really worrying that I'd fail the pushing part. My brother did it with me and had to be put on a Suzuki Gladius (pretty much an SV but smaller I think).
Once I passed I decided to get a lighter 150kg bike (CCM 644) but a year later I got a SV650 and now I don't struggle pushing it around at all. I think it's partly because I'm used to heavier bikes now, but I did spend my lockdown doing weight training and went from 70kg to 85kg so that probably helped too Laughing

Getting your own bike just for training seems a bit strange though, I'd have thought a good school could teach you the proper throttle control and with a bit of practice the weight becomes manageable and one you are moving smoothly you really don't notice it at all.. It would have to be at least 600cc if you were to use it for the test too.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:12 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himalayan, 185Kg

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/enfield/himalayan/2018/

only 24hp single so not gonna rip your arms off, pretty stable.

…and there is kit to drop the seat by 40mm if required, help keep both feet firmly on the ground Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT07 for my lessons & test, now I'm on its more refined brother, the XSR700 Smile IIRC correctly feathering the clutch on the MT07 was a thing. I couldn't even tell you what I do with the XSR as it's reflexive now.

From person experience I'd recommend you take a look at the Honda Rebel, it's the bike I had before the XSR. It's a modern faux-cruiser, nice and low, A2 bike and Honda smoothness on the throttle. Personally I don't care for pegs over foot plates for a cruiser but you might like it.

<addendum> There's also the Vulcan. 650cc might sound a bit to big given your previous comments on the SV650 but mostly I hear criticism of the Vulcan's desperately unexciting engine which you might conversely consider a boon.

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:15 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Easy-X,

"Honda Rebel, it's the bike I had before the XSR. It's a modern faux-cruiser, nice and low, A2 bike and Honda smoothness on the throttle"

Yes, I fancied this after looking at the MCN recommended A2 bikes. It was the seat height that drew me to it, and I like the sound of the Honda smoothness on the throttle. Having said that the comparable Yamaha is 22Kg lighter. The pictures all had riders aboard, except the Honda, and they all looked as though the pegs were somewhat rearward, as is the SV650. I can't see from the Honda picture exactly where the pegs are, but it looks as though they may be further forward. More to my taste as I don't want to have to emulate the MotoGP or WSB riders by leaning forward with my weight on the handlebars. I'm going to have to shop around and sit on a few bikes!

Cheers mate

Tony N

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:55 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Norton, this link contains a tool that you will probably find useful for estimating knee bend and riding posture.
https://cycle-ergo.com/

I have a YBR125, which is the direct predecessor to your YS125. When I got it, I noticed the footpeg position is significantly forward compared to most bikes (cruisers excepted). I'd guess that you've become accustomed to a bike that has ergos a bit outside the norm.

You might check out a Honda CB500F. I have ridden one and found the knee bend to be quite comfortable. Don't make assumptions of power and performance solely on engine size. The CB500F is very controllable and intuitive, no snatchiness in the throttle control, to my recollection.

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:39 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: cycle-ergo Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

that is a fantastic site. Doesn't include a lot of the current models, but as most are derivatives of their previous models, that isn't really a problem.

Thanks for that, very helpful.

Tony N
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9