Security for bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:56 - 30 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

But all of this needs to be balanced against the true risks of GS ownership. Prostate cancer, and dementia.

I haven't ordered my polite high vis, full adventure style leathers and helmet and gloves. I gotta stuff a pillow down my jacket as well so I get the proper look of a mid life crisis overweight biker. Then I'll get all the panniers on. Only then will I be fully prepared for my grand adventure which will probably be a 50 mile trip to the nearest beach before I realize my back hurts and I'll turn back to put it in storage for another year.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:27 - 30 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

for chains and locks, Pragmasis

consider their anti pinch pin too, the super one, if it will go through somewhere

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this will be a little bit of a controversial opinion but it seems to me like all you're doing is making it harder for yourself to get to your bike.

Are you really going to be fucked with the hassle of looping two chains through wheels, frame and ground anchors and then popping on a disc lock too when it's pissing down with rain? Probably not. You think you will, but you won't. Hell, it won't even take rain to put you off doing all that, just laziness when you realise you're taking forever to get your bike locked/ unlocked from all that.

Then you're going to have to deal with those awkward anchors during winter when they don't drain well because you didn't put a proper soakaway under it. Rust after a few years is probably another issue.

You're doing all this at great cost just to cost a thief less than 5 minutes with an angle grinder to get through both chains and the disc lock. Yeah, it will be noisy and you think that you'll go down there to kick fuck out the thieves but when you do all you'll do is sit back and let it happen while your nuts recede back inside yourself because the only people doing this are professional thieves and will be tooled up to the teeth and more than happy to fuck you up in return.

To me, the more sensible option is just putting a RoadLok on it as they would have to cut off the lock itself as well as the front brake disc. It will probably take the same amount of time as two chains and a disc lock but it leaves them with a fucked bike with no brake to try and get away with and it means you only had to lock/un-lock a single thing as opposed to three.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:16 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on parking it up for a bit. So it wont be much bother.
As for the chains they will stay connected to the ground anchor when bike is in use.
I also think 5 minutes is very optimistic. For an angle grinder attack on 2 very heavy duty chains and a disk lock. I think it would be closer to 15 minutes.
They would also need ome of my vehicles moved to gain access to the bike.
As for confronting a thief. I can safely say I would. I've always lacked the self preservation instinct lol

Then again. It's all mainly for show. The point is for them to just find an easier bike to steal e.g. someone who has their bike chained up with a cheapo bicycle lock that can be cut with cable snips.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
I plan on parking it up for a bit. So it wont be much bother.
As for the chains they will stay connected to the ground anchor when bike is in use.
I also think 5 minutes is very optimistic. For an angle grinder attack on 2 very heavy duty chains and a disk lock. I think it would be closer to 15 minutes.
They would also need ome of my vehicles moved to gain access to the bike.
As for confronting a thief. I can safely say I would. I've always lacked the self preservation instinct lol

Then again. It's all mainly for show. The point is for them to just find an easier bike to steal e.g. someone who has their bike chained up with a cheapo bicycle lock that can be cut with cable snips.

When I got my first motorcycle I ran out there and bought a couple chains, good locks and a couple different disc locks then realised it was a massive pain and offered very little protection against a targeted attack so I actually don't bother now with anything except the rain cover and a disc lock on the Kwak and a chain round the back tyre to a gutter pipe on the Zontes (under a rain cover too). They haven't been nicked yet.

Maybe I am just very lazy and very jaded Embarassed

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:48 - 01 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a ground anchor, 2 big chains, 2 discs locks, they all go on once im home, recently added another lock to the garage aswell

those anchors set in concrete are good, but i wouldnt be using those outside, they will just fill with rain

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 06:32 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
for chains and locks, Pragmasis

consider their anti pinch pin too, the super one, if it will go through somewhere

My friend is looking at Pragmasis lock as well. Good to hear it is also recommended here. We'll finish installing the headache rack and undercover tonneau covers on his truck before being delivered this weekend. He'll use the bike to work, and there are a few incidents of carnapping in the area.

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:43 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said.. Pragmasis is the best security for bikes. Check out their website: www.securityforbikes.co.uk

Their sub-major ground anchor is Diamond rated on the Sold Secure scale. If you're wanting a decent ground anchor then only buy their one as it's the best.

I agree that two chains is OTT. One chain and a disc lock is probably the best compromise. Use the Pragmasis roundlock as a disc lock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2