Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suggestions for a motorcycle App ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
w2olves This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use an app and suspect I never will.

I also doubt the subscribers to this forum will form much of your target market.

I for one am a miserable, cynical, old fvcker.

Good luck.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

w2olves
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:31 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I don't use an app and suspect I never will.

I also doubt the subscribers to this forum will form much of your target market.

I for one am a miserable, cynical, old fvcker.

Good luck.

Thank you. I don't believe everyone will use an App with their ride. I know people who shun gps and smartphones.
Suit yourself but dont be miserable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really use apps when riding other than Spotify TBH, but I think some of those features could be useful.

I've lead large groups before where people have dropped off the back and no-one's bothered to flag up to the riders ahead so we've "left em for dead". That all came down to the people at the back not paying attention to who was there/wasn't there, but would have been good to know via any method it had happened....

w2olves
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:47 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
I don't really use apps when riding other than Spotify TBH, but I think some of those features could be useful.

I've lead large groups before where people have dropped off the back and no-one's bothered to flag up to the riders ahead so we've "left em for dead". That all came down to the people at the back not paying attention to who was there/wasn't there, but would have been good to know via any method it had happened....

What would be an ideal way for you to know ? See all your group mates as dots on a map ? Or just people that are beyond a certain distance ?

Also, thank you for this input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:53 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about having other safety features that are controlled by an app?

If you could make a wiper that's controlled by your app then motorcyclists would finally have wipers on visors. You'd save thousands of lives!!

w2olves
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:02 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
How about having other safety features that are controlled by an app?

If you could make a wiper that's controlled by your app then motorcyclists would finally have wipers on visors. You'd save thousands of lives!!

Now that is some out of the box thinking. Noted.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wipers on visors?
That would be awesome

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:53 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

w2olves wrote:
Noted.

It would save countless lives.

Driving a motorcycle in some places is so dangerous by the time you have read from the start of this sentence to here 2 people will have died in a traffic accident on a motorbike.

People are going to continue needlessly dying in rain related crashes until somebody has the balls to invent a wiper for visors and if it's controlled by an app then that would be even better.

Rain

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Driving a motorcycle in some places is so dangerous by the time you have read from the start of this sentence to here 2 people will have died in a traffic accident on a motorbike.

People are going to continue needlessly dying in rain related crashes until somebody has the balls to invent a wiper for visors and if it's controlled by an app then that would be even better.

Behave.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:32 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could call it precipitation buddy, or something similar.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

w2olves wrote:

Thank you. I don't believe everyone will use an App with their ride. I know people who shun gps and smartphones.
Suit yourself but dont be miserable.

Don't tell me what (not) to do!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You could call it precipitation buddy, or something similar.

Lol’d Laughing

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:54 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Wipers on visors?
That would be awesome

Why does that sound familiar

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:33 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a god mode type function for the group leader? Like with the ability for them to wipe other peoples visors at will and stuff.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:41 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I ride is to be alone; away from shit like our useless Tory government, bent police force, racists, GB News, Nigel Farage, Brexit, global pandemic and all the rest of it. Consequently the notion of a "motorcycling app" makes me shudder... no thanks.

deadbat
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:14 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would never use my phone when riding/driving. It's an unnecessary distraction.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a motorcycle App ? Reply with quote

w2olves wrote:
Turning to you guys to give me some inputs on a motorcycle/riding App.

Backstory: I ride a decent amount in USA and Europe and I have used many different apps but none were really satisfactory. So I have decided to make one.

Which apps have you used, and why were they unsatisfactory?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're riding in a group where you need an app to keep tabs on each other, you're riding in the wrong group.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:51 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
If you're riding in a group where you need an app to keep tabs on each other, you're riding in the wrong group.

Sounds like my ideal group ride. I don't have to interact with anyone else, they might all be at home or hundreds of miles away. I wouldn't bother with the bit about keeping tabs on them though.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 03 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like an app that makes a pinging sound in my helmet if someone replies to a comment I made on Dreadit, Twatter, Instaspam, WhatsCrap, WeShat, Dicktock or Fakebook. Even better if you could integrate machine learning and AI, so that it makes a different sound if someone is rude to me or threatens my online persona and reputation. And an alarm sound if my favourite YouTuber is streaming, and a mic with speech-to-text capability, and a notification if my smartwatch, phone, my helmet or any other wearables need charging.

Oh fuck it. May as well just stay at home, forever. At least that way I'll stay connected.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:01 - 04 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding with both hands on the bars while using an app on your phone?? Clever dick...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 04 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I'd like an app that makes a pinging sound in my helmet if someone replies to a comment I made on Dreadit, Twatter, Instaspam, WhatsCrap, WeShat, Dicktock or Fakebook. Even better if you could integrate machine learning and AI, so that it makes a different sound if someone is rude to me or threatens my online persona and reputation. And an alarm sound if my favourite YouTuber is streaming, and a mic with speech-to-text capability, and a notification if my smartwatch, phone, my helmet or any other wearables need charging.

Oh fuck it. May as well just stay at home, forever. At least that way I'll stay connected.

Zawinski's Law of Software Envelopment...

Quote:
Every program attempts to expand until it can read mail. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can.

TBH this app is sounding more and more like a solution looking for a problem Neutral

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a motorcycle App ? Reply with quote

w2olves wrote:
Free to use, no Pro version

Map and route suggestions with images from Google and Instagram

Speed and Coordinate Display

Route planner

This is just google maps. If you're not hooking into that functionality (or equivalent) in some way, I wouldn't bother, no point reinventing the (incredibly complex) wheel.

w2olves wrote:
Crash detection and assistance

Genuinely interested in how that's going to work.

w2olves wrote:
I am trying to make the App group focused, so if you are riding in a group, you can see all of your fellow riders in the map and be alerted if someone is falling behind or stopped.

Trying to be constructive, this is the original bit. I don't know of an app that does this (though that doesn't mean there isn't one), but I doubt you're the first person to have thought of it. But if you are, or you're the first one to get it out there, good for you. I definitely know people who would be interested in this, me included. However, there is no reason this should be bike specific. Anyone travelling in separate vehicles as a group would find it useful. Family holidays in multiple cars? Classic car/bike rallies? Delivery convoys? Loads of potential uses. So I wouldn't recommend limiting it to just being a "motorcycle app".

If you could make this easy to use, sign up, link and unlink people from groups, that sort of thing, I can see it having merit. If you can make this feature work well, even if it's basically just an overlay on google maps that shows the other members of the group as dots or whatever, you may have something. I'd try to get that working, and add all the other stuff later.

I suspect there are good reasons if this hasn't been done already though. Probably technical and/or privacy related. Especially if you're hooking into someone else's functionality.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a motorcycle App ? Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
w2olves wrote:
Crash detection and assistance
Genuinely interested in how that's going to work.

Well it's not a new concept; eg some(?) BMWs have it built-in, and there are other apps available like https://www.ridersmate.com/product/ridersmate/ and https://www.realrider.com/crash-detection/

Zen Dog wrote:
hooking into someone else's functionality.

That sounds like it could be very painful
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2