Fast or slow on a long motorway haul?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:39 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Yeah, last trip to Cornwall it pissed down so hard I thought I overtook Noah at one point! Thoroughly miserable Sad The leg back made up for it though. I might go down again this month but I'll take the car this time Smile

Reminds me of a Journey from Fishguard to Hornchurch in 1998. 300+ miles on a CB500 in torrential rain, I was soaked before I even got to the M4 and then endured to most miserable trip of my life. I pulled out my cigarettes at a service station to find the pocket swimming with water and the fags turned into a packet of pulp. I had my mobile in the other pocket and that also drowned beyond recovery. To add insult to injury I got flashed by a speed camera going through docklands, fortunately an empty one as I was an ADI at the time and points would have resulted in a bollocking and a threat to remove me from the register if it happened again.

These days I won't go out even if the roads are damp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorways are just about getting them out of the way. Usually stick to 75ish, fast enough to not nod off but not too fast to get done with the fixed cams. Got cruise control on mine and apple play so the miles tick down quickly. Try and avoid them when I can.

OGR

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:29 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last long motorway hike I did en route to a spain tour we did Carlisle to Portsmouth. We put all three bikes in the back of a van and parked it up in the nearby airport parking. Think it probably worked out cheaper too by the time you'd paid three lots of fuel and tyre wear.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the all the replies. I think "go with the flow" is the way to go. Nice idea with the van, but I don't relish the thought of trying to get a 260kg bike into the back by myself! Plus, given it's only me, I don't think the economics would pan out.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I tend to settle at around 80mph on long motorway trips, which I find the best compromise for me between time, comfort and fuel consumption. I'll vary a bit within that, but 80 is where I tend to spend most of the journey where restrictions don't apply.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:45 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

You can do 90 in the fast lane but quite often you have to slow down bacause someone is dawdling at 70.

Errr, unless you're on a bike, in which case yes maybe you slow down to 90 if you're being good* Wink

*KPH of course, officer.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:03 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

You can do 90 in the fast lane but quite often you have to slow down bacause someone is dawdling at 70.

Errr, unless you're on a bike, in which case yes maybe you slow down to 90 if you're being good* Wink

*KPH of course, officer.

Or just about 95 before the mobile scamera van gets a bead on you...

Shifty

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Or just about 95 before the mobile scamera van gets a bead on you...

Shifty

Almost every mobile camera I see is forward facing and bikes don't have front plates. It's the reason I just blast through stationary cameras, then again I think sometimes the stationary ones don't detect bikes well because I have blown through some significantly above the limit and they didn't even flash.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Almost every mobile camera I see is forward facing and bikes don't have front plates. It's the reason I just blast through stationary cameras, then again I think sometimes the stationary ones don't detect bikes well because I have blown through some significantly above the limit and they didn't even flash.

Sometimes just to catch bikes, they put a freestanding second camera on the floor in front of the van, sometimes
there's one mounted in the cab. I'd quit that habit while you're ahead if I were you. Tut Tut

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/mobile-speed-cameras-guy-inside-van-gives-us-lowdown/

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:21 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have video cameras as well and in court that alongside the still and speed snap has you bang to rights.

Every time I've been done by one they've sent me a picture of the back of my bike when I know the speed they recorded was whilst I was approaching.

You could try arguing the case but all they'll have to do is put a TV in the court and show you going past on your distinctive bike with your distinctive clothing and helmet and the distinctive cars around with number plates on each end anx you'd get arseraped for taking the piss.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:55 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love driving on the M25 a night with the smart motorway cameras.
The flashes go off like xmas lights. Literally like 4-8 every few secs.
Amazes me how many ignore them.

That being said. A lot of the time they drop the motorway speed to say 40mph for no reason and a lot of people just ignore it without getting flashed.

I prefer to play it safe and just drop to whatever speed is on the signs.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck, fair enough. Every day is a school day!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Sometimes just to catch bikes, they put a freestanding second camera on the floor in front of the van, sometimes
there's one mounted in the cab.

ISTR someone on here talking about getting off a speeding fine because they were able to point out that the two photos provided in evidence (ie front and rear photos) were actually of different bikes?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like a bit of motorway riding, but then my weekend loop on a sportsbike encompasses all sorts of roads from motorway to single tracks with grass up the middle. On motorways, even long slogs, I prefer to pick off the traffic by being the fastest out there, rather than going with the flow. It’s also more fun, and I think it puts the bike in its happy place. I can think of a corrugated concrete A-road where the R1 in particular rolls smoothly across the surface at speed but jars when slower.

ATGATT including ear plugs.

UncleBFester wrote:
Handful of trips a year in iffy weather?
Hire a nice car.

I used to do that years ago. No car, so biking all year round unless icy, in which case I walked 20 minutes to the local Vauxhall garage and hired a car for a few days. Worked out nicely up until the last time when they said I’d returned the Corsa with a cracked windscreen (passenger side near the top, extending from the very edge) and I got stung for a new screen. Then they closed down, and I moved away soon after anyway. I recently thought about selling the car, pocketing the currently inflated prices for used cars and going back to bike-only again. There’s not enough profit in it, and I’m probably too old for 100% biking now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

That being said. A lot of the time they drop the motorway speed to say 40mph for no reason and a lot of people just ignore it without getting flashed.

Confused I think you must use a different M25 to me, I reckon I've seen maybe one HADECS camera go off in the last two years, and maybe 2 or 3 gantry cameras at most, but only with signage lit.

Certainly far from every journey, I must do a long M25 journey once (return) a month on average I reckon.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:49 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
adam277 wrote:

Confused I think you must use a different M25 to me, I reckon I've seen maybe one HADECS camera go off in the last two years, and maybe 2 or 3 gantry cameras at most, but only with signage lit.

Certainly far from every journey, I must do a long M25 journey once (return) a month on average I reckon.

Well I drive a HGV often for Tesco and Argos in Thurrock/Basildon so I'm on the M25 daily.
The flashes are not so obvious during the day but quite obvious at night.
A lot of hgvs I believe get done by them. As their limiters are often set to 56mph which will trigger a 50mph camera.

Most common area is between the dartford crossing and A10.

Another time I see them go off quite often is when the close a lane. For whatever reason I see so many drivers just ignore the red X on the gantries and just plow through. They don't always flash but quite often they do.

Personally, I dont get why people feel the need to drive in a closed lane. It's dangerous and stupid.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:19 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
...Personally, I dont get why people feel the need to drive in a closed lane. It's dangerous and stupid.

Probably because the issue that they put the 'X' in the lane for, is about 5 miles down the road, therefore we all know there is 4 miles to go before needing to move over. perhaps if they didn't warn so early we'd know to get over straight away. Just saying.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:39 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
adam277 wrote:
...Personally, I dont get why people feel the need to drive in a closed lane. It's dangerous and stupid.

Probably because the issue that they put the 'X' in the lane for, is about 5 miles down the road, therefore we all know there is 4 miles to go before needing to move over. perhaps if they didn't warn so early we'd know to get over straight away. Just saying.

Dumb will be dumb. It's a bit like people who try to cross level crossings and then wonder why their pickup gets twatted by a train.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the reason I just blast through stationary cameras, then again I think sometimes the stationary ones don't detect bikes well because I have blown through some significantly above the limit and they didn't even flash.

a biker was regularly taking the piss with a local speed camera by me a few years ago. so the traffic police started carrying a photo of him. it didnt take long for them to catch him, apparently they just matched his jacket and lid.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
apparently they just matched his jacket and lid.

And that boys and girls is why it pays to be a gear tart. Mix and match dahling.

(5 lids and about 7 jackets, several pairs of visibly different boots, at least a dozen pairs of gloves and for the
legs numerous leathers, kevlar jeans and textiles... And counting)

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
It's the reason I just blast through stationary cameras, then again I think sometimes the stationary ones don't detect bikes well because I have blown through some significantly above the limit and they didn't even flash.

a biker was regularly taking the piss with a local speed camera by me a few years ago. so the traffic police started carrying a photo of him. it didnt take long for them to catch him, apparently they just matched his jacket and lid.

Another classic example:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/caught-reg-handed-hunt-for-speed-222659

Obvious bike and very obvious helmet...

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I've travelled on the bike to Anglesey, I've always plotted a route avoiding the motorway. It didn't take that much longer, and going via Snowden, Llangollen, Llanberis etc is much more fun.

Well, fun if you aren't shitting yourself rocking a dark fly covered visor at night, running on petrol fumes in the valleys, with barely anything open after 7pm, and a mate whose bike decided to chuck a random check engine light.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I sit at around 80mph on motorways, fast enough to make progress and slow enough for the Police to ignore me.
If you go much faster you will need to refuel more often and you get tired quicker.

One of the biggest factors in how fast you go at this time of year is what gear you have and the weather.
Decent Gore-Tex and you will always be dry, add a heated jacket and you don't get cold so can maintain a higher average speed. It's no use going fast for an hour and having to spend half an hour to warm up because you have crap gear.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

One of the biggest factors in how fast you go at this time of year is what gear you have and the weather.
Decent Gore-Tex and you will always be dry, add a heated jacket and you don't get cold so can maintain a higher average speed. It's no use going fast for an hour and having to spend half an hour to warm up because you have crap gear.

Exactly this. I can also confirm that Sunblest bags placed over your gloves, with Royal Mail elastic bands securing them to you wrists, do not perform like the waterproof over-mits you might hope for.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:50 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on motorway, you may have no choice in the speed you do, we recently went over to Leeds and pretty much the entire journey there had speed cameras seemingly every mile

it was surprising tbh, their was barely anyone speeding at all and the traffic was all moving very nicely as everyone was doing the same speed, we saw the cameras go off at least 3-4 times so dont ignore them, they are on

some are mounted behind the signs on the gantry so you cant see them until your past, looking in your mirrors, but most were at the side of the road fairly visible, but noticed a few 'hidden' behind signs so be careful
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3