Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 174, 175, 176  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've reopened a section of the old hospital that was used by 2 GP practices for ours.

In, sanitise hands and change mask (the latter not necessary if you're wearing a surgical mask already), check in and give your details, join the queue (i.e. play musical chairs for a bit), go in answer a few standard vaccination questions, get jab, sit in waiting area for 15 minutes and off we go. The whole thing took around 25 minutes. Thumbs Up

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

I have them on my Mazda and pardon the pun, they are brilliant! I have the full adaptive lighting package on my car
and the headlights are BY FAR my favourite thing about the whole vehicle.

Yeah. Agree with all of that tbh. My Z1000 has led lights and they are fantastic to ride with.

My issue is diabetic eyes, after 30 years of it they are just not as good as they were.

Stuff on next car shopping list will include those lights as well as a slush box. I'm done with changing gears. But it will be a 2nd hand car, cars are just too expensive.

Still looking at a new Z1000SX instead and sticking with current cars for another year or two.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other half's daughter staying for the weekend along with her toddler. He keeps finding and picking up valuable/breakables (no we're not a kiddy-safe house) but rather than gently take them off him, they both just watch him carry stuff around until he lets them crash to the floor. Driving me insane...

Just now I watched mum standing in the kitchen with her rugrat on her hip... she let him reach out and pick up my landline handset from the back of the worktop "aw bless he wants to ring his dad" and next thing it lands on the tiled kitchen floor. Leaving tomorrow Evil or Very Mad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I love it when wifie drives the Jag at night and the lights change up or down on the cars whim, it's 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING, I DIDN'T TELL YOU TO DO THAT.' I do chortle.

Laughing Laughing

I'm not allowed to drive the Jag.
Yet.
Shifty

Mind you, I quite like being Carted About like Lady Muck Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
My other half's daughter staying for the weekend along with her toddler. He keeps finding and picking up valuable/breakables (no we're not a kiddy-safe house) but rather than gently take them off him, they both just watch him carry stuff around until he lets them crash to the floor. Driving me insane...

Just now I watched mum standing in the kitchen with her rugrat on her hip... she let him reach out and pick up my landline handset from the back of the worktop "aw bless he wants to ring his dad" and next thing it lands on the tiled kitchen floor. Leaving tomorrow Evil or Very Mad

My grandchildren have been pretty good so far. They know where the toys are and they know my toolbox is full of "ouchies" Smile Kids need clearly defined boundaries.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Kids need clearly defined boundaries.

Damned right... trouble is, this one isn't my grandchild so I just have to bite my tongue and smile sweetly

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
Kids need clearly defined boundaries.

Damned right... trouble is, this one isn't my grandchild so I just have to bite my tongue and smile sweetly

Not when your stuff is being damaged you don't.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I feel your pain!
I’m in a similar situation.
I made the mistake of making my feelings known, it did not help.
Now I am ALWAYS the bad guy , ALWAYS blamed for anything negative when they are about.
Thankfully that’s not to often.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 05 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The youngest is toddling about. It's that falling into a run that kids do - throwing themselves forward and hoping their little legs can keep up Smile

Anyhoo, she wandered over to me one time and with a big grin stuck her hand out to steal some chips off my plate.

No.

Not shouting, just clear and firm. She ran off screaming like the sky had fallen in. Mean Grandad!

Never too early to define boundaries Smile

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Bath racecourse vaccine Centre stuff.

Balls to that. Thank allah it's not compulsory... Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:24 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Bath racecourse vaccine Centre.

I went through the NHS and social care vaccination clinics, bloody marvelous

We were there for ages, it was more than an hour I think.

I suspect that something didn't didn't go according to plan for the vaccine centre people that day as it can't have been meant to be running the way it was.

Bath Racecourse Vaccination Centre will be avoided if possible when it's time for the next booster dose. Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Bath racecourse vaccine Centre.

You have to prebook so would expect its a reasonably quick process.

In reality, you have to queue to have your details checked.

Sound like a palaver - I dropped by a local chemist after work (well 4 pm) No appt. 10 mins wait and a shot of Moderna.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to knock out an old concrete shelf in a cupboard. Floor to under shelf clearance 81cm. Fitted fridges 81.8cm Crying or Very sad So it has to go!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower back pain and a cold characterised by fits of sneezing. Bad combination!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Bath racecourse vaccine Centre stuff.

Balls to that. Thank allah it's not compulsory... Laughing

it will be soon enough if people just keep letting them push the boundaries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for call saying new tyres are in so they can be fitted prior to MOT.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Trying to knock out an old concrete shelf in a cupboard.

concrete shelf? sure it's not structural.

Easy-X wrote:
Floor to under shelf clearance 81cm. Fitted fridges 81.8cm Crying or Very sad So it has to go!

I'll get you a tape measure for Christmas. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:20 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Trying to knock out an old concrete shelf in a cupboard. Floor to under shelf clearance 81cm. Fitted fridges 81.8cm Crying or Very sad So it has to go!

Couldn't you just fit thinner rubber feet on it? Or remove the plastic top which you won't see anyway?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:21 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or put it on it's side.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A concrete shelf?! For someone to make it out of concrete, it must have had a significant purpose.

8mm isn't much - as said, can't you do something with the feet? Or even remove them completely and just use a few spacers to get it level (assuming there isn't a need for ventilation underneath).

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
Trying to knock out an old concrete shelf in a cupboard.
concrete shelf? sure it's not structural.

I've seen this before - years ago I refurbished an ex-council house (post-war vintage I'd guess?) which had a large brick-walled cupboard in one corner - a larder I assume - and inside at worktop height was a concrete shelf just like the OP describes.

Turned out that the whole cupboard - concrete shelf and all - was non-structural, and I was able to rip the whole lot out with no issue.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
A concrete shelf?! For someone to make it out of concrete, it must have had a significant purpose.

8mm isn't much - as said, can't you do something with the feet? Or even remove them completely and just use a few spacers to get it level (assuming there isn't a need for ventilation underneath).

Pantries in very old houses had concrete shelves to help things like butter stay cool, before everybody had a refrigerator.
My great grandmother had the same in her kitchen. Her house was built in 1905. Probably not structural.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had a cold shelf in a kitchen cupboard made of concrete. It came out in one piece when I demolished the cupboard and became a temporary ramp to get my motorbike into my metal shed before I built the ground up. The bike cracked it in the end but it had rebar inside so it stayed in one piece.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I've seen this before - years ago I refurbished an ex-council house (post-war vintage I'd guess?) which had a large brick-walled cupboard in one corner - a larder I assume - and inside at worktop height was a concrete shelf just like the OP describes.

Turned out that the whole cupboard - concrete shelf and all - was non-structural, and I was able to rip the whole lot out with no issue.

Right on the money, I think the house was built in 1954. Our neighbours over the road have an identical house and knocked theirs out so I know it can be done without the house collapsing Smile Pretty much everyone else has too round here when I mention it.

As for the size... Free-standing fridges are a standard 84~85cm which is way too much. I've tried to source something I can take the top off of but after studying numerous manuals the door hinge is usually integrated into it. The fitted fridges are all 81.8cm or taller and I just haven't turned up anything in stock I can steal some height from.

There was also a lot of space wasted in the cupboard and I can put in a lot more wooden shelves at some useful heights. It's such a tiny little kitchen I can probably stick the microwave and kettle in there. It's already vented before anyone asks Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:20 - 07 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/rhttf67ss/russell-hobbs-rhttf67ss-appliances-freestanding-fridge
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 174, 175, 176  Next
Page 56 of 176