Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DRZ400SM Low Beam not working, Bulb tested and is ok

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Scatcat1994
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:56 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: DRZ400SM Low Beam not working, Bulb tested and is ok Reply with quote

Hi guys, I've got an issue with my drz.

Dipped beam headlight isn't coming on. I have tested the bulb, it is an H4 with 2 elements for dipped and high beam.

The dipped beam should come on with the key, it does not.

The high beam is also not working unless I hit the pass switch on the left hand switch.

The high beam doesn't come on with the rocker switch on the left handlebar switch either, only the "pass" button brings it to life.

Honestly I can use a multimeter and stuff and do the basics but I'm a bit out of my depth with this one. Anyone come across anything similar?
Thanks, -scott

Scatcat1994
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:41 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck it, I'm just going to attach the live wire for the side light to the live wire for the dipped beam, I cant be arsed spending hours tracing wires back under the tank and stuff

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

""The high beam is also not working unless I hit the pass switch on the left hand switch."""
I would be checking the switch / wires that does not work.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be as simple as the headlamp fuse Headlamp flasher is often from a different fuse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a wiring diagram for the DRZ400SM on goggle images or for a better view scroll halfway down the page from the link.From what I can see there is only the one fuse so as others have suggested it does sound like the switchgear has a connection problem

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1301185-drz-400-brake-light-help/

Always have a 'Plan B'

Scatcat1994
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:21 - 17 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it,

I tested the switch on the left hand side which contains the dipped/high rocker and that was all ok in terms of continuity, but no voltage was being sent.

I then traced the wires back to the right hand switch where the ignition button is.

The connection between the switches on that side was bad. I dismantled the switch and cleaned the connections, very fiddly as it contains springs and a small bearing and stuff. The entire assembly is about £40 however so well worth it, definitely worth checking this connection if anyone has a similar issue, cheers guys,

-Scott
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1