Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

trouble with the zx9r

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stumpy75
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:26 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: trouble with the zx9r Reply with quote

ok so i bought 1998 zx9r started and rode it fine about 50 miles parked it in the garage and a week later started it was runnin lumpy went ut and about 500yds she died as if out of fuel started it but wont pull off tho it seems to rev ok took the carbs off cleaned them changed spark plugs started it and it ran rode it a day went back next day will start run rev but when i go topull off it dies anyone have any ideas i need this for work and its frying my brain so far i have changed coils ignition pick us spark plugs cleaned carbs checked for brakes in the wires ect changed the fuelpumprelay fuel pump fuel pipes petrol tapis fine fuel pisses out when in on position.... i cant find anything

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:02 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cleaned the carb and it worked. I'm thinking it's E10 ethanol fuel eating a lining sealant in the fuel tank and now tiny particles of gummy snot are constantly getting sucked into the carb jets.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:33 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starts ok, revs, but won't pull a load. Sounds fuel related to me.
Double check fuel pressure. Could be a restriction, fuel pressure sensor or regulator. Does your ZX9R have a vacuum operated fuel valve? If so, a vacuum leak could restrict fuel from passing to your carbs. If not, try running the manual valve on 'reserve' see if problem goes away. Check your tank breather/purge valve/charcoal canister to make sure the tank is breathing OK. Maybe try opening the tank cap when the symptoms occur to see if it helps.

stumpy75
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:07 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a second set of carbs [ i have a whole bike for spares] it did it on
the original carbs also the fuel pump is also off the spares bike

its not vacume operated bit of a strange set up on the zx9r c1/2 te fuel pump only works when the bike is running/cranking as opposed to being primed ect when the ignition is turned on as on other bikes

it also has a cam position sensor but ime not sure if these do anything as i thought they were for fuel injected bikes not carbs

the bike does have a rocker cover breather valve as in picture a narrow pipe also connects to this thin metal tubein pic but is not connected to the fuel tap or the fuel pump

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d check for air/vacuum leaks at the airbox. I’d also suspect the fuel pump/relay but you’ve changed those. Then I’d look at electrics. Is the battery healthy? Is the charging system working?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:54 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had very similar symptoms on a CBR600 with a dead reg/rec, so it wasn't charging.

Running out of electricity feels very similar to running out of fuel.

Get it running, put a multimeter across the battery set to DC volts. You want to see 14.5V at around 4000rpm, and 13V at tickover.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:12 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

if none of the above works, try zx-9r.net if you haven't already - there is a lot of excellent advice there and the forums are still used quite regularly

https://www.zx-9r.net/viewforum.php?f=4

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mysteriass wrote:
You cleaned the carb and it worked. I'm thinking it's E10 ethanol fuel eating a lining sealant in the fuel tank and now tiny particles of gummy snot are constantly getting sucked into the carb jets.

..or water in the tank through condensation or other means.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:26 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds electrical. I'd be having another really good look for any hairline cracks in the coilstick boot and testing them with the multi meter.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:04 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That forum has went to shit tbh, you might still get some help but I wouldn’t bet on it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1