Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Has the pandemic hit live music venues hard in the US? Is it something that feels under threat? Has it felt under threat even before Covid for other reasons/trends?

Moving there soon?

No.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

EPIC

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:35 - 28 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

It'd be a shame to lose live music in any of it's forms, even the dire buskers who can't hold a tune.

Has the pandemic hit live music venues hard in the US? Is it something that feels under threat? Has it felt under threat even before Covid for other reasons/trends?

I think so, small events have been of little issue but the big gigs have been scarce until fairly recently. How it has affected the venues themselves I'm not too certain, obviously revenue will have been down but many events are held in sporting stadia, which aren't going broke anytime soon!
The place we saw James Taylor and Jackson Browne is an event center proper (although they do put on basketball matches occasionally) and I think they've had a harder time of it than some, although they have had no problems with regular sellout concerts for country and western artists all this year - at least, for the ones who don't refuse to play venues requiring masks and vaccines. Rolling Eyes

Does it feel under threat? I'm not sure that is any more threatened now than since streaming became popular. I've gone from living on Tampa's doorstep, a place that is a huge draw for all kinds of artists, usually on their way to or from Miami and Orlando, so hard to gauge if events are threatened nationally. To living in hicksville, South Carolina where it ain't happening, nor ever was, if it isn't country or bluegrass. Laughing So, again, hard to tell.

As a rule, the Deep South doesn't have a bar/live music culture in the same sense as the UK and much of Europe. We have found a dive bar modelled as a 'Celtic pub' (which means that it has a dingy interior with flags of the Celtic nations hanging from the ceiling. Rolling Eyes ) that hosts live music. It's the closest thing to what I'd call my 'local' despite the fact that it's in neighbouring North Carolina and not 60 miles away as I mentioned earlier - Google says 102 miles, so not somewhere I drop in for a quick pint whenever the urge takes me!!

And, as already mentioned, I think the age of streaming has had far more detrimental effect upon live music than the pandemic ever could, that and a bloody plethora of 'wannabe' tv shows hosted by Simon Cowell, etc...

Am I the best one to ask about the general state of live music in the US, probably not. Laughing My stepson used to play guitar in a death metal band and has morphed towards some kind of hop-head electronic genre, apparently, has a few albums under his belt and is still doing the pub circuit in Florida and I bought my banjo playing missus a banjolele for Christmas - in the eternal hope that I'll be treated to topless performances of George Formby classics... Shhh! Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:57 - 28 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go to a lot of venues as a younger person, both small and large, I stopped going to small ones when you were forced to sitdown, I liked bouncing around (couldn't call it dancing Laughing ) As my youth consisted of the 70's and 80's, most of the bands I loved are dead and buried or a sad shadow of their past, doing the rounds in pubs and clubs.

Nowadays would much prefer to go and watch/listen to a classical orchestra (I used to play the viola to national youth level before I fucked off to sea) and my love for classical music has continued whereas modern day culture music leaves me cold.

Wifie however goes to a lot of live stuff with her friends, I'm sure she's thrown her knickers at Tom Jones in the past, poor chap.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 28 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

And, as already mentioned, I think the age of streaming has had far more detrimental effect upon live music than the pandemic ever could, that and a bloody plethora of 'wannabe' tv shows hosted by Simon Cowell, etc...

I think so, but I do think the pandemic has had a big impact here, by closing venues that were already under pressure, final nail in the coffin and all that.
I don't really understand why streaming hits live music though. I mean, people have always had plenty of access to music at home or wherever, but live performance is something very different. What am I missing? Maybe it's just that the popular genres of music today don't lend themselves particularly to live performance? For one thing, half of it seems to be cheating now with autotune and suchlike.

I'm seeing an interesting trend in younger folk doing reaction channels on YouTube though, where many seem to realise that really good music played on actual instruments is something that is being lost - something that was of value.

Interesting perspective you've given there for where you are Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:43 - 28 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I used to go to a lot of venues as a younger person, both small and large, I stopped going to small ones when you were forced to sitdown, I liked bouncing around (couldn't call it dancing Laughing ) As my youth consisted of the 70's and 80's, most of the bands I loved are dead and buried or a sad shadow of their past, doing the rounds in pubs and clubs.

The last time I was in that kind of scene wasn't that long ago - when I lived in Oxfordshire up to the end of 2015. The small town of Witney had a pretty vibrant music scene with rock and blues acts regularly in a couple of venues, plus jam nights, and theatres in Oxford itself that hosted bigger names.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 28 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played anything past a youth orchestra as a kid, so my experience in front of a crowd is very limited. I do still like to get out and watch a band though - if anything just for the excuse to get out...

Not a massive fan of the arena 'experience' because I don't see the point of paying loads of money to look at dots in the distance and a large screen. Having said that, one of the best gigs I have ever been to was Nick Cave at Manchester Arena a few years back (just after the bombing), because the sheer presence and intensity of the man was enough to draw the whole crowd in. Never experienced anything like it before in a big venue and as they become increasingly sanitised I doubt I ever will. I prefer a tent in a field round the back of a pub these days...

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 28 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

I think so, but I do think the pandemic has had a big impact here, by closing venues that were already under pressure, final nail in the coffin and all that.
I don't really understand why streaming hits live music though. I mean, people have always had plenty of access to music at home or wherever, but live performance is something very different. What am I missing? Maybe it's just that the popular genres of music today don't lend themselves particularly to live performance? For one thing, half of it seems to be cheating now with autotune and suchlike.

I'm seeing an interesting trend in younger folk doing reaction channels on YouTube though, where many seem to realise that really good music played on actual instruments is something that is being lost - something that was of value.

Interesting perspective you've given there for where you are Thumbs Up

To blame the decline of live music on streaming itself is too simple a view. Since the dawn of live streaming people have shut themselves off from society, tuned into whatever little black box they call a phone and picked out individual songs that they like, rather than face real people they'll shake their booty and warble in short pointless trashy performances on Tiktok - try that in a pub and you'd get laughed out of the place (or worse in some of my old haunts)!
Around the same time, the cost of drinking down the local has gone through the roof, pubs have turned all that usually unoccupied free standing space into dining areas to keep their heads above water and squeezed the pub singer into decreasingly fewer venues and are there as many youth playing proper instruments as there were, say 40, years ago?

Something I was really blown away with when I moved over here was the strength of music programs within schools, especially the sporting ones. A strange link but schools with strong sporting programs tended to have strong arts programs, every self-respecting good team has a band and a cheer team and dance squad which means the school needs good music programs and dance programs with enthusiastic staff. My wife's old school in Florida had approx 1900 kids and I remember at the first end of year music recital being put on by the kids that there were three jazz bands - three, you'd be lucky to find enough kids in the average British school to form a four piece, let alone three consisting of at least 8 kids apiece. That's in addition to the orchestra and small strings, wind groups etc.
The cheer and dance squads were impressive in their routines and acrobatic skills. Friday nights in (American) football season was an all night affair with 1000 or so bums on seats, half time dance/band show, all for 5 bucks a head. When I was at school you'd have been lucky if all the parents of the soccer team turned up as spectators let alone a 1000 people and then they'd have been stood around the pitch not in 40' high stadium seating!

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live music for me is a massive part of my life. It's one of the happy places I have. I tried to explain it once but nothing really comes close but here is what I said.

There is just something about it, the anticipation as the gig day gets closer, then the day itself, the drive to the venue, as you get closer the excitement builds, the butterflys start in the stomach and you start to feel that buzz. Then its the standing around like an idiot in a lightweight top you can tie around your waist inside. Freezing cold in winter waiting for the doors to open. Catching the odd note from the sound check.

Then the doors open, tickets checked and the mad rush to get front of stage in smaller venues, front of sound tent in larger venues (best place to be in a big arena) and then the waiting. The chatter, the chill.

Support bands come on, if they are good, great, if not, meh. then its back to the wait. The ambient music the chatter, mad dash to the toilet if needed or the bar.

Then the lights go out, the scream from the crowd around you as the band walks on stage, then what feels like 10 minutes later you find yourself walking out 2 hours later, covered in sweat, not all of it your own, deaf with a sore throat from screaming and singing along, driving home on the high that can only be got at a gig.

Its a feeling you cannot bottle, you cannot manufacutre, its only available at a gig and I live for it.

Live music started again and I went to see Esoterica as a first gig, Ferocious dog 3 times on the same tour, theese septic stars (local metal band) and I am looking forward to next years mayhem. Ferocious dog a few more times, and as many more as I can cram into the year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss decent blues nights.
In very/small venues, which actually I prefer over stadia.

I was very upset (i.e., annoyed) when the blues bassist I decided might be worthy of dating, up and topped himself early on in the 2020 lockdown.
I was looking forward to boozy bluesy nights in Soho Sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I miss decent blues nights.
In very/small venues, which actually I prefer over stadia.

I was very upset (i.e., annoyed) when the blues bassist I decided might be worthy of dating, up and topped himself early on in the 2020 lockdown.
I was looking forward to boozy bluesy nights in Soho Sad

Blues bassists seem to be a bit funny that way. The bassist in the band I was trying to get off the ground was great, for a while. Enthusiastic, wrote his own material, which I then worked up to fit in more with our band's blues roots, which he seemed to be happy about. Then he took me aside and admitted to a smack addiction. As soon as he'd admitted it, he became totally unreliable, and that was the end of that band. No idea what happened to him after that, although you'd have to guess it wouldn't have been a pretty story.

Blues seems to come and go, but there're always a few hardcore fans ready to pick it up if it comes back into vogue. I think the music just reflects on the human condition, and that'll never change. Other genres just don't express it all so well.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another thing the Metaverse will replace, all autotuned of course. Crying or Very sad

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Wifie however goes to a lot of live stuff with her friends, I'm sure she's thrown her knickers at Tom Jones in the past, poor chap.

Reminds me of someone i used to know who worked as a night porter in small hotels, he said the worst giests were when Daniel O'Donnell was playing, all these ladies of a certain age would book in then come back pissed after the show then spend the rest of the night calling room service and trying to rape him when he turned up with the sandwiches.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Just another thing the Metaverse will replace, all autotuned of course. Crying or Very sad

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. I'm seeing a lot of younger folks going back to older music and saying it's way better than the new stuff they're being fed. A lot are commenting on how they'd like to have been at some of the live performances they're watching on video too.

Otoh, music companies are buying up the rights to all the old artists' music. So they either think that's where the good money is going to be, or they want to bury it forever. But music has always had a "pirate" component to it, where those who actually make it stick two fingers up to the industry behemoths. That might even be the best thing to have happen.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N47KnuP8B9Q

This video sums up the live music experience.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:53 - 03 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I'm seeing a lot of younger folks going back to older music...

As a 50-something off to see Bob Dylan in April would I fall into that category? Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2