Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ER6F 2007, Intermittent running on one cylinder!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:55 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: ER6F 2007, Intermittent running on one cylinder! Reply with quote

Christ after only just fixing the dead relay, I've now all of a sudden developed a intermittent lost cylinder!

Found it out while doing 60 on an A road.... That was bumpy :/

Not really sure when I can take the tank off to take a proper look at the spark plugs. It only happened yesterday...

But in the mean time. Can anyone give me ideas of what to troubleshoot?

Also when the relay died, some one mentioned it could be the regulator going. Could that also break something to do with sparking?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: ER6F 2007, Intermittent running on one cylinder! Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Also when the relay died, some one mentioned it could be the regulator going. Could that also break something to do with sparking?

Both cylinders? Probably. But as it's just one, probably not Smile

I'd imagine it's either the coil, HT lead or the spark plug that's failed, first places to look anyway.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:17 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has stick type ignition coils on the plug caps so you could probably switch them over and see if the problem changes sides as a diagnostic tool (uhnplug, change sides, plug into that sides wiring, not just switch them over). If the misfire switches sides, it's the coil/cap. If it doesn't its elsewhere..

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:13 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strong diagnostic tool is ' What happened last?' ( "I just filled my car up with petrol" "No you didn't mate, you filled it up with diesel") for example.

You've just had the tank off - maybe something got dislodged putting the tank back - a loose connector has come off, HT lead jumped off going over a bump, check out the simple things first.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:47 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
A strong diagnostic tool is ' What happened last?' ( "I just filled my car up with petrol" "No you didn't mate, you filled it up with diesel") for example.

You've just had the tank off - maybe something got dislodged putting the tank back - a loose connector has come off, HT lead jumped off going over a bump, check out the simple things first.

Good points, I did wonder if the fuel line could be kinked but i was pretty careful putting it back on... I got new plugs and will fit them tomorrow anyway... Ill give the whole bit a once over.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno... You could end up replacing the whole bike's electrics if you go down this route. You won't like it if you found out it was a loose connection. Laughing
To me, and I'm not a pro bike mechanic, it sounds like a loose connection more than anything. This is because I've had this problem before. Riding along, pop pop bang, running on one cylinder or no cylinders. It's getting fuel. What's strangely confusing is that you wait, and sometimes it will start up and everything is fine. And you're riding along, wondering what it could be, and your thoughts go to all sort of things that might need replacing... Nah, replace nothing. Test stuff first. Test your current plugs by taking them out, holding them against the engine and see if they're sparking.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:39 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i replaced the spark plugs today... And the problem was persisting. Spoke with my local mechanic he thought my coils might be shorting as its a known issue. Gave me a cheap quick short term fix solusion. wrap the coil sticks with insulation tape....
Sadly that didnt fix the problem.

Last ditch effort to fix the bike so i can go to my friends NY do tomorrow...

Drained the tank and ran the left over fuel down...

The thing is I know water has got into the tank in the past as the drainage hole has been blocked before.

Maybe the water level finally reached the pump inlet and the hickups was water in the line.
That or the injectors were blocked.

Anyway i seem to have cleared the problem for now. Did a 5 mile test ride no more hickups... So hopefully would be good for the 150 miles i got to do tomorrow.... wish me luck!

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
So hopefully would be good for the 150 miles i got to do tomorrow.... wish me luck!

Good luck to you. Very Happy

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:12 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What coil type does it have? sticks or ht lead/cap? It only takes a tiny hairline split for the spark to arc and you drop a cylinder. Insulation tape im sceptical is going to do much.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:28 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
What coil type does it have? sticks or ht lead/cap? It only takes a tiny hairline split for the spark to arc and you drop a cylinder. Insulation tape im sceptical is going to do much.

Sticks. Yeah tape might not have worked in that instance. But I was out of ideas...

In any case I got to my destination without any issues. I'm now heading back home today.
Halfway home now still about 80 miles left to do. And so far so good. No more drops or spikes in power.
Maybe it really was a blocked injector clearing itself or water in the fuel...

I'll keep an eye on things for a while. And I'll get some new coil sticks. I saw some new ones going cheap, but from China. Given my old ones are old and the paints corroding. It might be worth swapping them anyway.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1