Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance: how long license is held for a2-full upgrade

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fred3606
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Insurance: how long license is held for a2-full upgrade Reply with quote

I've been looking at new bikes recently and checking insurance for various bikes. I've noticed that almost all comparison websites ask what license I have (full license from A2 upgraded last month) and how long I have held it for.
I think it looks a bit worse than it is when I looking for a insurance on a 600-1000 bike on apparently only a months experience when in actuality I've been on an SV for over 2 years and have 5 years NCB.

Also, not sure if this is right but, since the options are usually full or provisional license, for previous insurance quotes I've said full license for A2 under the view that it is a full license for that size of bike. Could I carry this logic over now!?

Does anyone know of any insurers that take A2 license time into account?
Thanks

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best to ask the insurers themselves via phone? At least then it's recorded so if there's any quibbles later you've got it officially from them.

jpmiller
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:22 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is no.
My son went through progressive access (A2 to A) a year or so back.
The reasoning behind is this:
You had a full licence with an A2 restriction.
You now have a full licence with no A restriction, that is the licence you hold now (from the date you passed mod2).
If that makes sense.
All the insurance companies he tried sympathised, but could only go by the date of "A" test passed. He did have all his NCB, but actually he paid more due to time licence held, the only bonus was A licence at 21 and not 24.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with the old A2 scheme (where you past on a 125cc and were restricted to 33bhp for 2 years).

What I did, I used to always put the date I passed the A2 test.

Though when my licensed renewed it showed the date of my test "plus 2 years".

Not sure that would work now as it doesn't upgrade.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the back on my licence it has "A" and a date. That date is all the insurance ppl will be interested in.

Fred3606
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the responses!
Guess I'll bite the bullet and see a minor insurance increase. I'll see if I can help anything over phone calls. Was just wondering if any of the companies took the A2 license into consideration.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1