Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking for a direction

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Looking for a direction Reply with quote

I've had my Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 for about 9 months now, I've loved the bike for it's speed and presence on the road. For a sit-up bike the acceleration just puts a smile on my face every time.

The downside is the weight of the bike and it being top heavy, it's just so heavy squeezing it in and out of my garage past my caravan on a slope. Then at slow speeds balancing is a bit precarious, especially on corners - I've got a lot better at this the more I use the bike but it still puts a touch of fear in me.

I've been looking at other sit-up styles (the only type I'm interested in) and liking the look of Honda XL650 Transalps - and I've had 650's before. They're a lot lighter and nimble, easier to control and easier to get in and out of the garage.
BUT - I just don't want to lose that power, there's a reason I decided to change from a BMW F650 to the Capo 1000.

Anyone know of anything in-between that might suit both worlds? I'd be spending £2-2.5k.
What would you do?
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:49 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I finally gave up licking my kneecaps & scratching my arse with my elbows I tried my Brothers 650 Transalp for a few weeks, but I just couldn't live with that sense of strangled power.

I settled into a Z900RS, which with handle bar risers & lowered footpegs suits my new riding style (& the old age) almost perfectly.

TeDiuMs seem to be the one to go for if you must have that style of bike.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:39 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:22 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiver?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202107114909508

95hp

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly none of these bikes are within your price range, but this webpage might give you some ideas.
https://www.hotcars.com/fast-and-fun-naked-bikes/

Norts1531
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Kawasaki Z1000 (recent version) and a Suzuki 1200 Bandit. Both were very sitty uppy, and both made plenty of power to give you a grin. Didn't find either bike to be particularly heavy whilst pushing them round the garage. £2k should find you either if you look around.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:09 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norts1531 wrote:
I've had a Kawasaki Z1000 (recent version) and a Suzuki 1200 Bandit. Both were very sitty uppy, and both made plenty of power to give you a grin.

Test rode a 1200 Bandit once. Cranked the throttle wide open, made me pucker. Shocked . Might not be the fastest bike out there, but too fast for me.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

frottle goes both ways innit m9

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tracer 700 for a couple of years, light, easy to move around, sit at 80 with no real wind blast, good acceleration and not too complicated.
Might not get one in your price range though.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:57 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

Test rode a 1200 Bandit once. Cranked the throttle wide open, made me pucker. Shocked . Might not be the fastest bike out there, but too fast for me.

You want to try riding one when there's snow on the ground...

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:20 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that kind of bike for 2-2.5k

Vstrom650/1000, versys 650, kle,

Nothing wrong with the Alp's compared to those either.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good options there, I'm very much taken by the TDM900 option, lighter, still tall and good performance specs.
I haven't come across the Shiver before, quite like the look of that - although looks like if I fitted a topbox the exhausts would be pointed up at it! Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update.
After much searching around and checking on the stat's, I've narrowed it down to the following:
Triumph Speed 4
BMW F800ST
Yamaha TDM900

Triumph is the lightest and quickest but looks more like a 'hooning' bike and less comfortable for a passenger.

BMW I think I like the look of the most for style, it's also pretty quick, got many extras and is also belt driven - a maintenance bonus!

Yamaha is the slightly heavier of the 3, but taller - maybe more comfy for my 6'2 round stature!

Anyone got any recommendations between these 3? Thumbs Up

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Quick update.
After much searching around and checking on the stat's, I've narrowed it down to the following:
Triumph Speed 4
BMW F800ST

My dad quite fancied the F800ST and test rode one, but he said the engine character was bland. He grouped it with the Deauville and NC700 as bikes with joyless engines. But it seems to have a decent reputation as a commuter (like the others in that group) if that's what you want.

Speed 4 is an interesting choice. Not hugely popular when new and only made for a few years so relatively rare now. I always think of them as a proto-Street Triple (despite being IL4). Is price the reason you're considering one rather than just getting a Street Triple, or do you just really like the ram air intakes?

TDMs are massively popular on the continent, but never really caught on in the UK, I think just because they were ahead of their time in terms of UK biking mentality, rather than any inherent flaw. They were never stellar from the spec sheet, but owners seem to really rate them. Probably a solid choice for a cheapish bike in that style.

Tdibs suggestion of the VStrom is probably worth considering too, like the TDM, owners seem to really like them, and they're available in your price range.

None of the above is direct experience I'm afraid, but there you go.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Anyone got any recommendations between these 3? Thumbs Up

soz but i really don't rate that bmw lump - rode a new one for half an afternoon and it was disgusting....reluctant to rev, vibey, not much in the way of torque and just all round gutless, i thought - and bear in mind i was coming off a cb500 at the time, so my expectations were pretty modest (the r1200rt was great though)

Out of the three, I'd be looking at the tdm - like you say, the 4 is fine providing you're only riding a 50 mile round trip solo

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:13 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You talked about a passenger - if you are going to be riding 2 up id take the TDM all day out of those options.

Speed4 is a tt600 without the fairings, still quite a physically small sports bike at its base - I would not really put it in the same class at the rest of these machines.

Vstrom 1000 still worth a look too.

One other option, xj900, can easily get one with luggage already setup in that budget. Not the most interesting machine, but big value for money if you want to do 2 up with full luggage for low money.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks
Thanks for your ideas, interesting replies about the F800ST - I was properly liking this but the only thing left to do is a test ride, which by the sound of it might put me off too!

I've owned an XJ900 before, it was a lovely smooth and quick ride but just too heavy for what I'm after - and the same reason why I'm getting rid of my Aprilia Capo 1000. It's a lovely ride, very lively but the bike is just too top heavy.

I'm not planning on long journey's with a passenger, my daughter likes rides out so I just want to make sure she'll have a comfortable seat for those odd days out into the Peaks.

I'm now wondering if the TDM900 would be a better match... Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I say if you go in a shop and get seduced by the looks of and Aprilia Shiver, just don't. We had two in the group I rode with before lockdown and both were typical Italian, beautiful and troublesome, Just like MV's.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1