airtags

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:23 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: airtags Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3zMWWG9W14

Anyone tried these? You can buy one for like £34 on eBay.
I know its not the best tracker out there but it is cheap. Also if someone is gonna steal your bike they usually stick it somewhere like a garage or somewhere underground. In which a GPS signal will not really work.
As you know though everyone has phones and a lot have apple phones. So there is a good chance of getting a ping.

What's your guys thoughts? Bear in mind it is cheap and I believe the battery lasts for about 1 year.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the similar tile which seemed to have potential if there was widespread uptake and people were prepared to keep Bluetooth on. The idea was you could flag a tile as stolen or missing and then anyone passing by with a tile app would unwittingly report your item’s new location. Without that widespread uptake it was just a short range Bluetooth locator. I can’t remember if the app was directional but you could make the tile ‘chirp’ when you were in range. I tried using one on a trail camera in woodland but it wasn’t very good. The battery lasted up to a year but was not replaceable.

Of course, if it had been adopted widely as an anti-theft device it would then have been the first thing a thief would look for, and it wasn’t small enough to hide well.

The ‘tile’ company got the hump when Apple predictably came out with their own version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about this before. It'd be a good idea to stick one in a box like this to make it a bit more stealthy too..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324970091578. (no affiliation, just something I found).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apple one has to be the best one as so many ppl have iPhones. Depends on the area and its footfall. Works well for airport luggage!

My own GPS system has been working well (tracker on the Kwacker) and doesn't seemed to have flattened the battery prematurely Smile

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:10 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was an iphone person, I would have one on the bike. I wouldn't treat it as a substitute for a tracker, but for that money and with iphones being that prevalent, it could work.
Depending on how much data apple would release, it could also provide some interest forensic data if the tile was pinged by one of the thieves phones.

For competent thieves, forget it. The signal is so weak that I'm not sure if an effective range bluetooth signal jammer would even be illegal.

FYI, proper trackers tend to use a combination of GPS, GSM, GPRS, 3/4G, and even longer wavelength radio on some models. A variety of shielding/blocking/jamming methods would have to be in use to work on all of them at the same time. Nothing screams "I'm a thief" like a white run simultaneously running a GPS and GPRS jammer.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:16 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think most bike thefts are local.
Might not do much if a pro takes your bike but for the money it doesn't seem to bad.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article on tv there other night about these I-tag things.
It was about how criminals are covertly sticking them to top of the range cars in order to locate them/follow them in order to find the best opportunity to steal them.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

FYI, proper trackers tend to use a combination of GPS, GSM, GPRS, 3/4G,
Nothing screams "I'm a thief" like a white run simultaneously running a GPS and GPRS jammer.

Enlighten me please.
GSM ?
GPRS?
white run .

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll just leave this here Thumbs Up
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KJIbrT7QWhE.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works on women too Shocked

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10364499/Women-TikTok-reveal-strangers-using-Apple-AirTags-track-them.html

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:08 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Enlighten me please.
GSM ?
GPRS?
white run .

GSM - 1G mobile phone networks
GPRS - 2G

As a rule, the older technologies use smaller data packets and will operate on a weaker signal, or greater distance from a mast.

Phone signals also work on a large band of frequencies compared to GPS, which uses some very narrow bands. So jamming GPS is very easy, very common and relatively hard to detect, you have to be nearby. Jamming mobile phone frequencies affects a wider band and need a more powerful jammer, so more people around you lose their reception.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:44 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

these airtags just use bluetooth right? and any Apple phone can pick them up and report their location.
So it's reliant on there being a fairly modern iphone nearby or similar apple product.

That being said iphones are everywhere these days.
I doubt these airtags would be good in the countryside but in London could be very useful.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but whilst Bluetooth allegedly doesn’t use much battery power I don’t think many people have it on all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple turns it back on if you turn it off.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Apple turns it back on if you turn it off.

Only if you do it through quick settings. If you do it via the main settings menu it stays off. I don't know anyone who does though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 102 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1