MCE Insurance - tits up

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
MID is irrelevant, but insurers will know you've had a claim, and you'll be legally required to declare it. Meh, you've been riding for a tiny amount of time. Depends if you want your bike fixed or not I guess?

This is probably showing how noob I am but making a claim on a motorbike is going to adversely affect me when renewing my car insurance too isn't it? I would only lose the NCD I have on my bike policy and not the NCD on my car policy?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will; it's a pain, but they're mutually inclusive in that respect - claim on your car and your bike insurers want to know about and vice versa, but you get precious little benefit if you're a new rider but a long-term and clean-insurance car driver.

Multibike policies; I wouldn't personally. I've never found them good value, particularly if the circumstances are different for each bike (e.g. commuting adds ££ to the premium, so if you only commute on one bike but have a multibike, you pay for commuting cover on both). If you have two separate policies, you can build up NCD separately on each too - so although first year rates with a 2nd bike make multibike policies seem attractive, that benefit can soon be nullified.

Lastly, claiming - I wouldn't do that either. Take into account your excess and the impact it'll have on you as a fairly new rider and it'll hurt you for the next 5 years. I bumped a rented vehicle 8 years ago and it massively impacted my car insurance for years. Bizarrely though when I mentioned it to my bike insurers they said "it isn't relevant for us". Felt like they were missing a trick there, but hey ho.

Last edited by ThunderGuts on 15:42 - 12 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:40 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

This is probably showing how noob I am but making a claim on a motorbike is going to adversely affect me when renewing my car insurance too isn't it? I would only lose the NCD I have on my bike policy and not the NCD on my car policy?

It depends how they word the question but I think you have to declare it. It shouldn't affect your NCD but your risk profile is different to that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ThunderGuts @MarJay

Thanks gents, I won't bother making a claim.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:59 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversely, the claim for theft of the FZ made next to no difference to my insurance.

Getting 6 points for speeding actually made it lower.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I need to insure both my bikes again, does anyone know of a decent insurer that does multibike policies?

BeMoto get my money, they were cheapish for two bikes and they didn't rip me off when declaring mods, plus no admin charge for changes.

I'm garaged though, so I might fit their profile better than you, but they're worth a punt.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

It depends how they word the question but I think you have to declare it. It shouldn't affect your NCD but your risk profile is different to that.

They always ask about claims (and will know about it if they look as they share that sort of info) but as you say, how they ask about previous "incidents" varies; some ask if you've had any "collisions", for which you could argue a bike knocked over wouldn't count as it wasn't the rider who had a collision etc..

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
BeMoto get my money, they were cheapish for two bikes and they didn't rip me off when declaring mods, plus no admin charge for changes.

I'm garaged though, so I might fit their profile better than you, but they're worth a punt.

By contrast, BeMoto were utter turds to me; they drew me in from a comparison site with a competitive quote, but after a 15 minute conversation to buy the policy, dropped the bomb the "price was incorrect" and wanted to charge me nearly double.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have been able to look into, which is limited, any policy after 9th nov has been underwritten by Sabre. Anything before was underwritten by MCE Gibraltar and its them who have gone tits up.

I have already priced up new insurance and surprise surprise MCE is still the cheapest, meaning you can still insure through them. So...I'm currently in a waiting loop to see if I can get mine transferred rather than have to go through the full lot. If they have already been my broker it should not be too hard to transfer the remaining 8 months I had onto their new underwriter.

I'll post if I finally get through with their reply

EDIT

Took almost 40 mins to get through, You cannot just transfer to their new underwriter so we're screwed that way. They are looking into a potential keeping the months worth of no claims left on the policy but I can see that being a shot to nothing as it wont count unless you are insured with MCE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I got the email too. I'll have 6 months left on my insurance to claim back as I paid in full. Got to go through the Financial Services Compensation Scheme to get the money back. I'm pretty pissed off with this carry on.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Unfortunately, with the policy being cancelled from 31/1 and not completing the full year you'll be losing whatever period from renewal to that date in NCD terms - only full years count.

Bumclouds, eh.

Swinton are seeing the kerching and offering to help the poor affected bikers by agreeing a full year's NCD for all MCE customers who have up to 3 months left to run on their existing policy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:44 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
arry wrote:

Unfortunately, with the policy being cancelled from 31/1 and not completing the full year you'll be losing whatever period from renewal to that date in NCD terms - only full years count.

Bumclouds, eh.

Swinton are seeing the kerching and offering to help the poor affected bikers by agreeing a full year's NCD for all MCE customers who have up to 3 months left to run on their existing policy.

Must...resist... spam.....rating....

You don't work for swinton do you?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Must...resist... spam.....rating....

You don't work for swinton do you?

I haven't written a motor policy for 2 decades. I haven't written ANY insurance for 15 months.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Conversely, the claim for theft of the FZ made next to no difference to my insurance.

Getting 6 points for speeding actually made it lower.

i ran a quote last night - one w/ 6 points, one w/out; the latter was about a hundred quid cheaper (180 against 86 iirc)

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:20 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried after changing your title to 'reverend?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually have lol - well, not reverend but dr.

can't remember how much difference it made though - iirc not much

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:40 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats because you're not doing it properly.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/index_267.jpg

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:53 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a bit bollocks, I am/was with MCE because whilst I am fully aware theyre complete shite, they were the only company who would offer insurance within the M25 for <£2k. Thankfully not living in a hellhole of bike thieving vermin, uninsured minicabs, and Vlad the Lorry Driver whos on his 4th bottle of vodka foer breakfast Im sure Ill be able to get insured elsewhere now without too much hassle.

Mildly annoying that the past few months Ive been getting email after email from MCE saying Gibralters going bust but it wont affect people in the UK, honest, not an issue mate, really.

Then suddenly, boom, no warning, no more insurance for you. Neutral

I think Im paid up til November or something like that, oof. Though the email seems to imply Ill get at least a 90% refund? Maybe?

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went with MCE once and they totally cocked up my insurance. I'm a twin and live with my brother who was insured with them and when I took my insurance out online their system got confused because of the similar details and insured it under his name instead Laughing I rode around without insurance for a month until they sent me an email with my brothers name on it and I worked it out. Didn't even get an apology so I never went with them again.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:

Mildly annoying that the past few months Ive been getting email after email from MCE saying Gibralters going bust but it wont affect people in the UK, honest, not an issue mate, really.

I think Im paid up til November or something like that, oof.

THIS

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Tierbirdy wrote:

I think Im paid up til November or something like that, oof.

THIS

Mildly annoying if you're like a fuckton of people who don't check their emails on a regular basis, good potential to make you a literal criminal.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure why they're not obliged to contact people by post tbh

the whole thing seems almost unbelievably wrong

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 14 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/01/motorbike-insurer-mce-to-end-policies-for-all-105-000-policy-hol/

Policies taken out or renewed with MCE on or after 9 November 2021 are not affected. They're underwritten by Sabre Insurance Group, not MCE Insurance. If this is the case for you, you'll continue to be covered, and can make any policy changes or claims as normal by contacting the broker arm of the company, MCE UK.

Looks like you're ok if you took out the policy in the last couple of months at least...

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 14 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th Nov mine

Brick Wall

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking fwd to Moneysupermarket et al offering 'Insurer Going Tits Up Insurance' with your insurance now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3