Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New biker at 48 advice please! !!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CormacBaptist...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:04 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: New biker at 48 advice please! !! Reply with quote

Hi. My CBT is booked for April 14th. I'm a 48 year old guy with very little riding experience. Soaking up YouTube videos at the moment. Loving the look of the BMW F750gs as my first bike. Getting a Nivala jacket and pilot gloves. Very excited to start this new (midlife!) chapter in my life... going through cancer treatment so want something to be excited about. Looking forward to chatting with you and hearing advice etc. Many thanks. JC

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:10 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

best of luck with it all

I did my CBT and half way through, I thought this isnt for me, oh well I tried it, but once out on the road I loved it, so even if you find it hard at first stick with it

nice that you wont have covid lockdowns to deal with either

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 eh? You should fit the demographic nicely...

Brace yourself for some salty speech, don't take offence too easily, and ignore any FortNine videos you've watched, then you'll do OK.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:10 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the CBT, but please don't let passing that be the end of your training.

Coming into anything with very little experience is always hard but consistently riding safe & enjoying the ride can be a lot harder than you think.

Get the CBT done & don't be afraid to ask what your future options are with regards to further training to build up your confidence.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
ignore any FortNine videos you've watched, then you'll do OK.

My instructor on CBT told me to ignore any videos by RJH Training Laughing

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: New biker at 48 advice please! !! Reply with quote

CormacBaptiste wrote:
Loving the look of the BMW F750gs as my first bike.

Don't buy anything shiny and (nearly)new as your first big bike. You will drop it. You will cry. We've all done it. Buy something tatty, sensibly priced and mechanically functional that you can sell in a couple of years for pretty much what you paid (even after you drop it). Save splashing your cash on something that gives you a stiffy till you've got some experience and a better idea of what you really want in a bike (as opposed to what you THINK you want in a bike, right now).

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: New biker at 48 advice please! !! Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
Don't buy anything shiny and (nearly)new as your first big bike. You will drop it. You will cry. We've all done it. Buy something tatty, sensibly priced and mechanically functional that you can sell in a couple of years for pretty much what you paid (even after you drop it). Save splashing your cash on something that gives you a stiffy till you've got some experience and a better idea of what you really want in a bike (as opposed to what you THINK you want in a bike, right now).

As a new biker myself, I need to say this is right.

I was going to buy a brand new Yamaha MT-09 but then went with a 2009 Kawasaki ER-6F. Money is not the problem, I can get finance on an MT-09 easily or I could buy it outright in cash when I get my dividend payment in April. Instead I just bought the Kwak for £2,500.

I am really happy I didn't buy the new bike. It would have been written off twice by now. You will damage your first big bike. You will probably not be the exception to the rule.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

its too bloody wet and cold to ride a bike at present. wait until the spring! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:49 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOT Zen Dog and the chubby Caledonian ^^ said.

Get your CBT and decide if you want to go the Direct Access route. If you are in this for fun, rather than commuting, then get your full licence soon as, don’t piss about with a 125.

I wanted an F750GS too, until I did my DAS course riding one! Too heavy for me as a noob, you may feel different. Best bike is the one that fits you well.

Hope your treatment goes well, stick with us and we’ll (the others, not me!) steer you right Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 20 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: New biker at 48 advice please! !! Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

Don't buy anything shiny and (nearly)new as your first big bike.

I did and it never had a so much as a mark on it when I chopped it in against a brand new one a couple of years after
getting bored with its performance (2014 ER6f) , I was 40 at the time of passing my DAS. That said I rode a lot in all
weathers when I was younger and had a relatively heavy 125 when I was 17-19 so wasn't a complete noob, I had a
couple of offs back then but nothing too serious even when two kids in a stolen Fiesta pulled out in front of me and I
went head first through the drivers side window Laughing. Bent forks and a pair of ruined brand new Reebok pumps were the
main casualties. Cool

I first rode a geared bike at 7 years old on the sand at Brean, it belonged to a kid who had a caravan on the next
site along. The next geared bike I rode was a Vespa 125 that belonged to a mod called Steve who lived near my parents.
I've had over a two year hiatus of late because reasons and hope to bring my MT09 Spacker out of early retirement this
springtime. Can't wait!!

Last edited by grr666 on 06:03 - 20 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:28 - 20 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of learning to ride off the internet. There are as many youtube experts as fleas on a dog, there's usually some truth in everything they say but if you try to concentrate on them, (countersteer, vanishing points, bodyweight shifts, peg loading, leaning in, leaning out, trail braking etc etc.) you'll forget to ride the bike and look where you're going. Learning to ride is a progressive process. I've been doing it for 28 years and I'm still learning new things.

Two things I usually tell new riders. 1) The throttle is an analogue control. 2) Look at where you want to go, not at what you want to avoid (this is easier said than done).

growingpains
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:01 - 20 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the CBT and DAS, and of course wishing you all the best with your treatment.

I'm also a new rider fitting the GS demographic. I took my CBT and DAS last year and got the BMW 750 GS.

All the advice here is sound - and you will drop the bike. In my case so far, it was when I thought the kick stand was down but discovered very quickly that it wasn't. Lesson learned, look down to double check the stand did actually click into place. Oh and my first time filtering in London traffic got my heart and sweat rate up, no margin for balance errors!

On the BMW, I'm happy with it so far. Yes, it's heavy but practice your slow control and don't notice it that much. Great in both the city, on B roads and definitely keeps up to speed on the motorway. Quick shifter is a bit crap but TFT screen is excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:07 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good luck and enjoy a new means of transport I think bikes are addictive well I have been riding since I was 16 with a pedal to start moped!
65 now still ride a lot all weathers NC750x and a MSX125

Riding a bike is NOT like driving a car or van training is vital with modern traffic but DO NOT read or watch video aimed at post test training the DSA want to see things done their way
Please do not regard a DSA test pass as the end keep learning and keep safe

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chaps who advise not to get a new bike are bob-on. Whilst I am sure there are exceptions, everyone drops their bike in the first year.

Its a shame that old bikes are so expensive, as to my mind the perfect 1st bike after passing one's test would be a CX500, GS550 or similar - heavy enough so that you learn how to move them about, just about fast enough to be fun, crap brakes and handling you you learn anticipation and practical enough to do some long trips. A year on one of those and you will be able to ride anything...

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Its a shame that old bikes are so expensive, as to my mind the perfect 1st bike after passing one's test would be a CX500, GS550 or similar .

I dunno I spotted this recently - thought it would make a great hack. Too far for me to go and I've already got too much cheapo stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304305570537

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per all of the above really. Enjoy the learning process, but getting your licence is just opening the door to a whole load of other learning. As said, the requirements of the test are all about "by the book" riding and don't necessarily correlate to the "best" riding; just do exactly as your instructors say until you've got your licence, then think about other things. You won't necessarily drop your bike, but it's most probable early on, particularly if it's top-heavy. You think you know what you want, you'll buy it and you'll think you've got what you want, but sometime down the line (probably 6-12 months) you'll start to realise you want something else.

1) CBT then DAS so you can get yourself a bike capable of living in traffic and with enough go for you to learn on (as opposed to a 125 which you'll be wringing the neck off all the time and you can almost handle like a bicycle) - you will find two camps on this though, some will suggest riding around on a CBT for a while, others (me included) straight to DAS. You presumably drive and know how a road "functions", so I'd just go straight for it

2) Follow the instructions of the instructor to the letter until you've got the licence

3) Get yourself a middleweight naked bike, £2k-3k at most, less than 80bhp ideally and ABS is a bonus as with a new rider it's all too easy to grab a handful of brake

4) Ride it and learn it, then you can start thinking about further training and what bike you really want

My 2p worth, but it's pretty much what I did.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
ignore any FortNine videos you've watched

What's your beef with him, out of interest? I find his stuff quite useful

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:15 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

3) Get yourself a middleweight naked bike, £2k-3k at most, less than 80bhp ideally and ABS is a bonus as with a new rider it's all too easy to grab a handful of brake

I do take issue with this. Learn to use brakes properly or don't do it at all.

I absolutely hate the principle of linked brakes for the same reason. I want to chose how much front and back brake I use based on the surface I see in front of me.

When filtering, quite often you find yourself on grit and so I do not, under any circumstances, want my front brake to activate when I'm using the rear brake.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
What's your beef with him, out of interest? I find his stuff quite useful

Youtube is his business/job/career and some people like him and others don't, but he fucked up with his countersteering video (it was called "you've been riding wrongly all this time!" or something), which contained inaccurate and misleading information.

He's not the only famous Youtuber who's given dodgy riding advice, although I'm not going down that rabbit hole. As OP doesn't ride, he probably shouldn't start off by having to unlearn bad habits he picked up from Youtubers.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:55 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why people have the thing about countersteering.

If you can cycle, you do it automatically. Thats how you go round corners.

You don't need to force it, the only people who consciously do it deliberately are racers to get into the corner faster.

Absolutely of no use on the road.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true, people say all kinds of stuff about countersteering. However, Fortnine was advocating counterleaning, which is something he got from his experience off road, and which can get ugly when done on the road. Imagine you're riding along, and there's a bend. One type of rider will countersteer and lean off one side. The other will countersteer and just stay in line with the bike. Both of these will work. But he was suggesting lean in the opposite side, i.e. greatly increase the lean angle of the bike, while the rider keeps his body bike upright. Potentially dangerous, and takes away the safety margin in case you need to suddenly turn in sharper, mid-bend.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:08 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it working off road because if you are leaning away from the corner you can step away from the bike if things go pete tong using your unloaded leg but on the road?

(Thats what they do in speedway where the inside foot is dragging on the cinders)

On the road you tend not to go into corners with the assumption that the back wheel will be sliding so either upright in line with the bike or, if it floats your boat, hanging into the corner.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro riders can get away with it on the road and on track. But I think they have to be pretty skilled and experienced, and their tyres have to be good, and so does the road surface. Italians do it in the Alps. On the whole, though, if you need to do that on the road you're probably going too fast for the road.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:03 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I don't get why people have the thing about countersteering.

If you can cycle, you do it automatically. Thats how you go round corners.

You don't need to force it, the only people who consciously do it deliberately are racers to get into the corner faster.

Absolutely of no use on the road.

The thing about countersteering is that it's an unnecessary topic for new riders.

Countersteering happens because of the rotational mass of the wheel which is quite different for a bicycle compared to a motorbike. The difference in tyre profiles is quite significant as well.

Countersteering doesn't make someone faster or a better rider, it happens as a result of better riding.

In conclusion, newbies don't need to be worrying about or giving any thought whatsoever to how to countersteer or are they countersteering.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The thing about countersteering is that it's an unnecessary topic for new riders.

While I agree that a lot of "advanced techniques" (peg loading, body movements etc.) are unecessary, I think countersteering is something everyone should learn to do, consciously, pretty much as soon as they start riding motorbikes, especially anything over 125.

I spent my childhood riding bicycles, and obviously I was countersteering all that time, I just didn't know it. But when I started riding motorbikes, that meant I rode them like bicycles i.e. when entering a corner, I'd lean slightly off the bike, and let it "fall" into the corner. This seems to work fine on a bicycle (and even many small motorcycles), because the riders weight is such a big proportion of the overall weight. Without getting into tyre profiles etc. that's how it feels at least. You are countersteering obviously, but it wasn't conscious on my part.

But as soon as I started riding big bikes, leaning off and waiting became a liability. I could ride the bike round most corners, but quick direction changes were impossible while I waited for my 90kg to change the lean angle of my 200kg bike. This made it basically impossible to react quickly to potholes/gravel etc. As soon as I started consciously countersteering with the bars, that immediately changed. I could take the bike from one side of the road to the other in a matter of a few metres at pretty much any speed. I do think it's a skill that bikers need to use consciously as soon as possible, for safety if nothing else. Just my experience.

Last edited by Zen Dog on 19:43 - 22 Jan 2022; edited 3 times in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3