BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dilemma

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Dilemma Reply with quote

I bought a GSX-R 1000 K5 (2005 reg) off of a friend that needed the money. I bought it super cheap as he had used it as a track day tool. It had 9k on the clock as the clocks had been removed for track days. Anyway, I paid him £2200 for the bike as the engine was tired. It had 9 months mot as it had been put back on the road last year.

I advertised it, a dealer phoned me up yesterday, sent his van over with driver to collect. The driver was a plum and did not even check the frame engine numbers or even look at the log book. He sat on bike, started it up and about 200mm of oil shot out the breather pipe, blasted out about a good 3 foot onto the grass. He missed that, he was literally looking at the clocks.

He rang through to his office who transferred the money into my account, he took the details off of my debit card. He had them on loudspeaker and woman confirmed details were a 'match'?

Paid me £3900, put bike in van and shook hands and off he went. The bike looked absolutley mint, the dealer phoned me today saying it's got a krank pressure issue and it's blowing oil past the rings, also states log book was not in my name. Bottom line, he wants a refund.

This leaves with 2 issues. 1 can the dealer extract any money back from my account?
2 will the dealer go after my mate? his name on the log book I never changed it over, literally span the bike around in less than 4 days.

I've not mentioned it to my mate.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
I bought a GSX-R 1000 K5 (2005 reg) off of a friend that needed the money. I bought it super cheap as he had used it as a track day tool. It had 9k on the clock as the clocks had been removed for track days. Anyway, I paid him £2200 for the bike as the engine was tired. It had 9 months mot as it had been put back on the road last year.

I advertised it, a dealer phoned me up yesterday, sent his van over with driver to collect. The driver was a plum and did not even check the frame engine numbers or even look at the log book. He sat on bike, started it up and about 200mm of oil shot out the breather pipe, blasted out about a good 3 foot onto the grass. He missed that, he was literally looking at the clocks.

He rang through to his office who transferred the money into my account, he took the details off of my debit card. He had them on loudspeaker and woman confirmed details were a 'match'?

Paid me £3900, put bike in van and shook hands and off he went. The bike looked absolutley mint, the dealer phoned me today saying it's got a krank pressure issue and it's blowing oil past the rings, also states log book was not in my name. Bottom line, he wants a refund.

This leaves with 2 issues. 1 can the dealer extract any money back from my account?
2 will the dealer go after my mate? his name on the log book I never changed it over, literally span the bike around in less than 4 days.

I've not mentioned it to my mate.

I'd tell him it was sold as seen and his agent accepted it in the condition it was presented on the day.

EDIT: I am not a lawyer, just some rando cunt on the internet.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:37 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Bottom line, he wants a refund.

That's nice, his case of buyers remorse is not your problem in any way, shape or form. It's also nothing to do with the person who sold you the bike.

You don't know what the driver or dealer have done to it.

Block their number on your phone.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst case pay your mate some of the profit as 'hush money'.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:01 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
it's got a krank issue

Yep, we all have an issue with kranks on this website.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
He rang through to his office who transferred the money into my account, he took the details off of my debit card.

can the dealer extract any money back from my account?

It depends on what the details from your bank card were. Were they the long number, expiry and CV2 or were they your account number and sort code?

If they paid you by sending money by card transfer then they can potentially get a refund by the processor (either VISA or MasterCard) within 120 days citing the goods as defective. You would need to fight that when the notice came through from your bank.

If they paid you by sending money by a direct bank transfer then they can't do shit to get it back.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just ignore him until something happens, ie, he tries to claw the money back threatens you with whatever.

Or set the ratticus army on him.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yep, we all have an issue with kranks on this website.

As do others apparently.

https://i.imgur.com/8LHUrS4.jpeg

I've messaged Monzo and in chat they suggested ordering a new card, which is what I've done. The money came in via faster payments so nothing really to do with my card, they wanted bank details only. The plum never flipped the card over to get the 3 numbers anyway. He missed the bike jizzing out oil so so wasn't that switched on.

I've blocked his number. The worst thing is, if they contact my mate, he might not be my mate for much longer. When he finds out I flipped his bike for £1700 profit. Still, que será, será.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the decent thing and give your mate half the profit. If he is any kind of a mate, he is worth more than £850...

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Do the decent thing and give your mate half the profit. If he is any kind of a mate, he is worth more than £850...

I was thinking of doing something for him, his father passed from Covid, the money was to help bury him. Yes I'll split the profit.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:12 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remainder will pay the feed bill on the rats.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The remainder will pay the feed bill on the rats.

I don't live there anymore. When I got divorced I walked away from the house and my responsibilities to the remainding negative equity mortgage. I'm staying in a friends flat whilst he's away abroad on business. No rats, no dotty neighbours, apart from a curry stain on the rug which I've got to get sorted out as it was down to me, all is good.

I've a new girlfriend, money in the bank, cushty job and a PS5. Life is good. I've had to open a Monzo bank account as the mortgage was down to the bank I was with, fuck them fuck my mortgage and my overdraft with them.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:23 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love stories like this, they jazz up my day.

It smells of poop though, and you have about as much credibility as a gypo with a tarmac business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope all true, here was the bike.

https://i.imgur.com/IpmmV2Z.jpeg

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Yeah, Kingy is rapidly becoming a national treasure.. Laughing

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said the engine was "tired" but did you explicitly know about the fucked rings and the "crank pressure" before offering it for sale? No? Oh well, them's the breaks.

If it was bank transfer the only route would be a small claims court but it's gonna be hard to prove you're some expert bike mechanic that knowingly sold a dud. Not a hard one to defend.

V5 not in your name? So fucking what? Pretty sure it states that said document is not a proof of ownership on the front.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:24 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Yeah, Kingy is rapidly becoming a national treasure.. Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/gjdZWPX.png

Neutral

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:35 - 20 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't a K5 then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
That isn't a K5 then.

Well spotted Paddy Thumbs Up .

Didn't even think of that but you are right. The K5 of course came out in late 2004 and I don't think Suzuki had any problems selling the K3/4 so more than a little strange that it was registered as King29 says on an 05 plate 4/5 months after the up-rated model came out.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice nobody's questioned what sort of dealer this is; who's been stitched up like a kipper and presumably has the OP's address. Is he the law-abiding sort who will just shrug his shoulders and say 'ah well, you win some, you lose some'.

Or maybe he isn't? Shocked

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
That isn't a K5 then.

According to this it is.

https://i.imgur.com/VKiNZ5Z.jpeg

It's a dealer with a shop not some scroat to make a few quid. I myself am honest and would like to think others are too.

There are way too many rip and run merchants around, honesty is the very best policy.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Dilemma Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
I bought a GSX-R 1000 K5 (2005 reg) off of a friend that needed the money. I bought it super cheap as he had used it as a track day tool. It had 9k on the clock as the clocks had been removed for track days. I paid him £2200 for the bike as the engine was tired.

King29 wrote:
It's a dealer with a shop not some scroat to make a few quid. I myself am honest and would like to think others are too.

There are way too many rip and run merchants around, honesty is the very best policy.

Not quite honest enough to tell them it was a track bike with a fucked engine though. Laughing

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a big job for a workshop. Engine out, strip, rebuild. Half a day max. Yes I could have mentioned that it had been blatted around a track and red lined for most of it's life, I chose not to as I wanted the money. Personally I don't see anything wrong with what I did, I stand by my honesty statement.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
It's not a big job for a workshop. Engine out, strip, rebuild. Half a day max. Yes I could have mentioned that it had been blatted around a track and red lined for most of it's life, I chose not to as I wanted the money. Personally I don't see anything wrong with what I did, I stand by my honesty statement.

Really? Half a day max? Half a day to disconnect everything, remove the engine, strip it down and clean all the parts, old gaskets off etc. Then take meausrements of everything to check what needs replacing. New parts, rebuild (presuming it won't need a rebore), reinststall, conect everything up and test. in 4 hours (half a working day) Laughing

Mary Poppins might be able to do that while singing 'A spoonful of sugar' and snapping her fingers but I doubt most bike mechanics can.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:44 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks last time i had.an engine rebuilt.

Half a day is a loony tunes assumption.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2