Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Matching garage cabinets to your bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Honda434 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 26 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a ‘spam’ pile-on going on. Harsh, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Honda434 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 26 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda434 wrote:

I’m not sure why they thought it was spam.

You're using us to direct views and traffic to your Youtube channel. This is the second time you've done this. You haven't seriously engaged in any sort of discussion here. To be fair, most people don't. But that doesn't mean we're here waiting for you to spam us with your promo stuff so that you can make sales, get a feeling of importance, get worshippers in your comments, etc.

Every click works for you and you don't care - I get it.

Tbh motorcycle enthusiasts tend to be too nice. Someone makes some OK-ish artwork that you might find in TK Maxx - "oh wow that's so cool - how did you do it?" Guy adds cylinders to an obsolete engine to make a bike for no apparent reason that he'll only ever ride to make a Youtube video - "oh wow you're such a genius and a national treasure". But when our bikes fall to bits he's not going to help us, is he? People are just being nice. Too nice.

You want to know my honest opinions? No, of course you don't. But take a SPAM vote.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 26 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda434 wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Bit of a ‘spam’ pile-on going on. Harsh, I think.

Newbie poster starts posting random YouTube links with almost no context. How did you think it was going to work out?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
You're using us to direct views and traffic to your Youtube channel.

It is spam, doesn't matter how the OP wraps it up and spins it.

We'll agree to disagree on Alan Millyard though, what he does with basic tools is to be fair, amazing, no matter the age of the engine. It's not like his Viper V10 is just chucking a cylinder on something, it's been over 200... The man has some serious skills, despite the presenting style of an Autistic wooden puppet.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

We'll agree to disagree on Alan Millyard though, what he does with basic tools is to be fair, amazing, no matter the age of the engine. It's not like his Viper V10 is just chucking a cylinder on something, it's been over 200... The man has some serious skills, despite the presenting style of an Autistic wooden puppet.

Yes, he most certainly does. It's more a question of what value he produces, and for whom, and for whose benefit.

Is he going to come on here and help someone out with a problem with their bike? I don't think so. Is he going to mentor young people in engineering, metalwork, welding, etc.? No. Why is that? Is it because we're peons and peasants, whereas Henry Cole and anyone with that sort of public profile is a fine man who, because of his connections, brings value and fame to him? These are the choices we're rewarding. It's all upside down. However, I do recognise that they are his choices to make. We should be allowed to make the same choices and not value him if we don't know him, etc.

It's a bit of a shift in thinking, I know... But it's just gotta happen. We don't need to know about Harry's Lambo or Allen's 2-stroke with extra cylinder, we need to know about actually important and innovative tech like Neuralink, AR scanners, polygon modelling, wet-dry data storage and stuff like that.

These guys with their dinosaur age-of-TV and Guinness Book of Records type of thinking (and possibly pushy wives) are doing us a disservice. We don't know them and they don't care about us, and we risk wasting our time on steam engines because they want to get their name, fame and acclaim.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:23 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day BCF could have a forum for people to post their general bike related videos in?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I also like Millyard's stuff. Its relaxing - like watching the Potter's wheel or kittens with wool. Better than that you can also pick up some tips. They're not 'How to's' as such although there is a detailed one on how he hand formed an aluminium cockpit fairing. Not even offended by the presentation either. For years he worked in the background on his hobby now he's earning a bit of a pension from it. Fair play..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know he's widely revered. This will change, because the internal combustion engine has had its day. Scalextric, even train sets, had their following. People move on, surprisingly fast. I made the reference to the extra cylinder thing on purpose. I do understand he's using us to monetize attention, as a source of income. I'm glad that people understand this. I've watched quite a few of his videos and I'm just not seeing the value there. They are not instructional, and the tips are things like putting the spark plugs on the barbecue to clean them. The tips are not the main point, more "look how clever I am". Sorry, I just don't agree it's all that clever. The reason we can't do it is because we were rightly advised (whether we took that advice or not) that the future was computers. This is very redundant tech, and let's face it, we're not going to build an engine. If we ever "needed to" our wallets would come to our rescue and we'd buy something else. He is working on future tin cans and tax evasion vehicles. He's invented a sport very few can play, and then wants the world cup in that.

What a breath of fresh air it is to be here rather than in a Youtube / general social media echo chamber. People can actually disagree on something and discuss it, and nobody and nothing is a holy cow. It's just my view, man. These Cotswolds media dudes (and they all know each other) are nothing but rent-seekers exploiting a sense of community. In a restaurant, someone complains about the food, and someone else, knowing the food is bad, complains about the complainer... Unfortunate tendency, that. But on BCF at least you can talk about the food.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
One day BCF could have a forum for people to post their general bike related videos in?

madness, I tell thee - sheer devilry

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can admire say, a watchmakers’ craft without thinking, “Meh! Anyone could do that with the right skills and knowledge, and it’s not even digital so who cares?” Which seems to be Bhud’s point of view. Strange.

Millyard is from Berkshire, which isn’t The Cotswolds, though why that would be a bad thing I don’t know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I can admire say, a watchmakers’ craft without thinking, “Meh! Anyone could do that with the right skills and knowledge, and it’s not even digital so who cares?” Which seems to be Bhud’s point of view. Strange.

Millyard is from Berkshire, which isn’t The Cotswolds, though why that would be a bad thing I don’t know.

It's the one link I identified that appears to connect a bunch of media veterans together. I know it's tenuous at best but this is a thesis - there are many like it but this one is mine. Laughing

If you look at all the Top Gear guys, Henry Cole, Harry of Harry's Garage, Allen Millyard, they've all got the common-man act down pat. All their presentations on Youtube or on actual TV are done the same way. The way they look at the camera, the angles from which they shoot, the way they talk to people, the way they dress, the way they use a pint or scone or cup of tea as a prop, etc. It's very carefully curated and very similar. It's confident and expert, i.e. professional media work. When I look at Millyard's channel I see a very polished product there. I don't know how that happened.

I'm not saying Millyard doesn't have really great engine-building skills. Only that his engine-building skills will not, ever, benefit me in any way. And why should they?! Heh... He owes none of us absolutely anything.

But, likewise, why should I attribute any value to him or to what he does? Just because he rides a bike (sometimes)? This is perhaps the bit that confuses me. If my bike breaks and I post in The Workshop, someone will come and advise me. That's something. It's worth something to me. But even to be far less specific and narrow, just the sheer lack of value in building that thing made with 2 airplane engines which will do perhaps 85mph, or that V10 which he admits is a pig to ride through London - it's just, meh. Those aren't even good bikes conceptually.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
But, likewise, why should I attribute any value to him or to what he does?

Is it that you resent him monetising what he does, even if you’re not forking out to see it?

This brings us back to the OP, I suppose.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Is it that you resent him monetising what he does, even if you’re not forking out to see it?

This brings us back to the OP, I suppose.

It's more that I don't value him.
I don't resent him at all! I think he's probably a nice guy. But so what?
His being a nice guy and being good at whatever thing he's doing doesn't benefit me. That's all I'm saying. If I resented him would that be a character flaw on my part? Oh well, that's a different issue, probably irrelevant and it's academic anyway, because I don't resent him.

Let me put it another way.

1) Some guy everybody likes says something. People engage with him mostly positively. I don't engage with him at all. He makes money.
2) Some guy everybody hates says something. People engage with him mostly negatively. I don't engage with him at all. I make money.

I tend to not give a shit about (1) and actually appreciate (2) quite a lot. Very Happy

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re just not interested in what he does. Fair enough. Others might be though.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right. Quite a few people will be interested in what he does, and good for them. I'd be happy if they valued a bit more what we were given, though. It's like, when I was a kid, there were these guys who rode bikes. Motorbike riders were different in those days. They looked different. People stayed away from them. They hung out at McDonalds. LOL. So, anyway, I thought they were cool. At the time we were being introduced to new things, told about nuclear power and new satellites and radio telescopes, and watched Tomorrow's World. But, boys being boys, we were interested in cars, bikes, fishing, and stuff like that.

Fast forward to 2021 and some people still revere Mr Millyard, because they were told about nuclear power, radio telescopes, electric cars, etc. but had wished for something else. Well, I think a lot of us undervalue what we know and overvalue what we thought was cool when were kids. Just my personal opinion. The world is not under a dire threat of losing society and all humanity. Live music hasn't been important for decades. And, most importantly, we can't go back. We've got much cooler things to play with than any of Mr Millyard's engines. This is what our parents and teachers gave us. No, they weren't cool enough to teach us to fish, or play electric guitars, or rebuild engines. But they gave us better things. If we understood this he would have the same viewership as steam engine channels, probably.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhow, the OPs mistake seems to have been to bring motorcycle content to the forum while simultaneously having demonstrable, monetisable painting skills and a YouTube channel. He even seems to own a bike. Sorry mate, there’s no room for your kind here. Now, if you had no bike but did have views on politics or Covid you’d be accepted.
Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 28 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

If you look at all the Top Gear guys, Henry Cole, Harry of Harry's Garage, Allen Millyard, they've all got the common-man act down pat. All their presentations on Youtube or on actual TV are done the same way. The way they look at the camera, the angles from which they shoot, the way they talk to people, the way they dress, the way they use a pint or scone or cup of tea as a prop, etc. It's very carefully curated and very similar. It's confident and expert, i.e. professional media work. When I look at Millyard's channel I see a very polished product there. I don't know how that happened.

It's Cole's work clearly. He's the one with the production company.. Millyard to an extent is the stooge, albeit not an unwitting one. It's staged but so what.. Cole uses people like Millyard to add 'content' to his programs which are mostly about mending or upcycling things. I like it and I think quite a lot of others do too. His 'posh school but still one of the chaps' persona can be a bit grating, but hey not crime of the century.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 28 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch Coles stuff from time to time but i go between wanting to hurl things at the TV and switching over to Alaskan Bush Inbreds.

Neither is particularly good TV even if both are interesting in their own way to some.

I find Guy Martin massively irritating too but I generally like the subject matter and the way he presents it isn't as annoying.

Then there's Garage Rehab with that AAF Woooooo Rawlings. Presenter irritating as sand under the foreskin but the work behind what he does is interesting as from a business perspective, he's got his massively annoying head screwed on.

If i want to be entertained on Youtube it's Goonzquad / B is for Build.

As far as the OP is concerned it's neither interesting subject matter nor does it make for good viewing.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 28 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

milyard's delivery is improving all the time

https://64.media.tumblr.com/6b60488d27e019dc5b11841286254f21/81867c5be87d560a-e9/s400x600/e21cb1ae73b37c83efdf85a1da84b3be6316bbbf.gifv

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 28 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Milyard's stuff even if he isn't the genius his fanbase claims he is. I don't see why it's any less interesting just because it's old fashioned and mostly practically stupid stuff and I don't understand the argument that it should benefit the viewer in some way.
I must admit though at fist I thought he was satire when he kept cutting stuff with his tiny scissors and taking stuff outside on the grass to cut with a grinder when he has a perfectly good shed Laughing . The guy is definitely not normal.

As for OP, looks like a different channel to the other he posted so probably not trying to spam his own stuff.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Honda434 wrote:

You're using us to direct views and traffic to your Youtube channel. This is the second time you've done this. You haven't seriously engaged in any sort of discussion here. To be fair, most people don't. But that doesn't mean we're here waiting for you to spam us with your promo stuff so that you can make sales, get a feeling of importance, get worshippers in your comments, etc.

Tbh motorcycle enthusiasts tend to be too nice. Someone makes some OK-ish artwork that you might find in TK Maxx - "oh wow that's so cool - how did you do it?" Guy adds cylinders to an obsolete engine to make a bike for no apparent reason that he'll only ever ride to make a Youtube video - "oh wow you're such a genius and a national treasure". But when our bikes fall to bits he's not going to help us, is he? People are just being nice. Too nice.

You want to know my honest opinions? No, of course you don't. But take a SPAM vote.

TLDR

I did read "Spam us with Porno" so am in. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1