Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moderation?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Maybe I was drunk or maybe I'm playing the adult here. Anyway - who gives a shit?

Nobby threw you a line there and you neg-karma’d it. Doh! The forum is pretty forgiving unless you won’t let it lie. Anyway, if you’re now saying you weren’t drunk (that suggestion also threw you a line)…..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:32 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Anyway - who gives a shit?

If nobody gave a shit then nobody would reply.

If people don't reply then it will take its repetitive generally offensive Dirty Bertie opinions elsewhere.

Katy is Kickstart who is trans and the there are loads of old threads from 2017 and 2016 with Donk voicing opinions that are incompatible with normal BCF.

If nobody was replying to him and it continued posting then I expect it would have been banned a long time ago

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't nice and I wasn't nice. I hope we can move on from that. (to Jimbo)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Donkers of Dover has, how shall I put it, a certain turn of phrase that rubs people up the wrong way.

TBH I'm surprised there's even a post in this section as, while things might have been a little heated, generally everyone was very civil which makes a nice change Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:29 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
OK, what's fucked up though is that I had some long and interesting and thoughtful discussions with people who were most definitely ordinary people, not thick-skinned hard men or anything, in P&CA recently. It was a normal discussion between human beings. This was interrupted by some abuse which got a little out of hand. The abuse and bickering (which was 2-way), made up a tiny percentage of that overall discussion. But, from what you're saying, that little episode is more important than all the rest when evaluating whether to use the forum.

That's strange, but OK. I get it. The forum just won't be moderated - for reasons that are hard to describe - and that's that then.

No, quite the opposite. This wasn't actually about you and your discussion last night (hence my comment about not refereeing bickering matches). It was more about what's going on in the rest of P&CA. Particularly regarding more extreme views and conspiracy theories.

Trying to gauge if the overall feeling is that I should be be banning more?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:35 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would you be wielding the ban hammer at?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see MPD/Donk removed permanently for his obnoxious bigoted views and his constant attempts to derail discussions to get them over, and also for his part in driving Katy off of the forum. Other than that I quite like the light touch moderation here and I think you get the balance dead right. The conspiracy theorists can be annoying but they're generally either ignored or have the piss taken out of them. It's an adult audience after all Smile

Last edited by Islander on 22:45 - 22 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ban racists maybe, conspiracy theorists not so much

They will only use it as further "evidence" that any alt views on covid or the vaccine are being suppressed

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I appreciate you're busy but surely it's just click here click there and job's done?

Personally, I support moderation just because it's a necessary thing.

I've been told "everyone else" don't seem to have a problem with some of the behaviour on here (which is mostly petty name-calling) and that it's just me, when I've expressed some level of annoyance.

Obviously, this doesn't work unless you can publish a list of who's considered "everyone else" and who isn't, or what the criteria is for infallibility.

Regarding the Covid conspiracists, I think there's a public health interest there in taking more active interest in that.
Regarding the xenophobia (I think it's more anti-Islam?) again, that's unpleasant, but if you look at the efforts of the forum to suppress that stuff, it was just tedious and long-winded.

Regarding my arguments about AI, and my ideas on policy and public administrative reform and stuff, they may seem to be a bit unusual but surely I have a basic expectation to not be harassed, accused of not being sufficiently in-group, insulted with references to drugs and juvenility, etc.? Getting personal should be off-limits, because if not then it's inevitable pointless arguments will ensue.

At the end of the day, if there's going to be a BCF culture then I for one think it should be spelled out. Because you stick a subforum there called Politics and Current Affairs, and someone naively crosses some invisible line (e.g. racism, which is unacceptable) then it should be clear in advance. Likewise, you should, in my opinion, seek to reinforce that there is no privileged group on here that you can "join" or fall afoul of.

And yet you yourself bring age into it by questioning mine.

You are full of shit.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Bhud wrote:
OK, what's fucked up though is that I had some long and interesting and thoughtful discussions with people who were most definitely ordinary people, not thick-skinned hard men or anything, in P&CA recently. It was a normal discussion between human beings. This was interrupted by some abuse which got a little out of hand. The abuse and bickering (which was 2-way), made up a tiny percentage of that overall discussion. But, from what you're saying, that little episode is more important than all the rest when evaluating whether to use the forum.

That's strange, but OK. I get it. The forum just won't be moderated - for reasons that are hard to describe - and that's that then.

No, quite the opposite. This wasn't actually about you and your discussion last night (hence my comment about not refereeing bickering matches). It was more about what's going on in the rest of P&CA. Particularly regarding more extreme views and conspiracy theories.

Trying to gauge if the overall feeling is that I should be be banning more?

Unless it's really REALLY bad or illegal then the karma system deals with it eventually.

I think the moderation in here is more than fair / lenient.

You've really got to go some to fall foul of it.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
And yet you yourself bring age into it by questioning mine.

You are full of shit.

Hey look, calm down. I'm not against young people. I try to help them when I can. But the number one priority for me is to try and understand what's going on around me if there's something in the air. If I've misunderstood something, then it's my responsibility to get clarification. That may involve asking questions. In the meantime, I'm sorry if you were offended if I asked your age (I don't think I did?)

I don't think the argument last night had anything to do with you, anyway. When we interacted I was trying to understand whether the P&CA forum was drawing people towards it who misunderstood something fundamental about what "bikers" were all about. I remember mentioning when you started riding, that's all.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that you assumed age ( of which you know nada about mine) so if you're going to throw stones etc.

The other stuff I could not give two brass shavings about.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
My point is that you assumed age ( of which you know nada about mine) so if you're going to throw stones etc.

The other stuff I could not give two brass shavings about.

Correction: I didn't assume anything about your age. That's a fact. Only about when you started riding.

My hypothesis was that your theory that nobody should complain about being offended about xyz (never mind who it was on that occasion) and instead should have a "thicker internet skin" (your words) was heavily influenced by some of the thick-skinned people who have, in recent times, been posting a lot on P&CA. Does that help to make things a bit clearer? I'm trying to work out how, whether or if there's a perceived link between riding a motorbike and being "tough", and whether this is finding expression in the P&CA subforum.

You took issue with the fact I posted under the Dear Auntie subforum, as you're well entitled to do. However, I am well entitled to draw whatever conclusion from that, that I wish. I have been saying for some time that there's a problem with that subforum. In this thread, we're trying to work out whether to do something, and if so, what to do. So if this is just about me and you, kindly leave it out of here.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Maybe I was drunk or maybe I'm playing the adult here. Anyway - who gives a shit?

I'm curious about something though.

Why are you so against Marcus? It isn't because he's a racist, is it. Something to do with someone called Katy, right?

Jesus, no! Shut up Bhud. You seem like an OK (ish) sort of person. Just let it go now.

Unlike school, we don't have anyone on playground duty here.

In years gone by a whole bunch of us used to meet in person and kind of got to know how eachother worked even if our online personas were sometimes misunderstood.

Nowadays it's a little different although there are some here you wouldn't want to meet IRL. Laughing

Give it up now, mummy says play nice or else it's jamas, bed, no supper, no story.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet again you fail to see how this place runs and also why it runs as well as it does.

It's unique for a forum which is why it's still running, almost all the others are dying or long dead.

Quite honestly I find your tone patronising. That's rare on here.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
And yet again you fail to see how this place runs and also why it runs as well as it does.

It's unique for a forum which is why it's still running, almost all the others are dying or long dead.

Quite honestly I find your tone patronising. That's rare on here.

I've tried to be nice, and I even contacted you by PMs trying to be nice.

I've tried to adopt a conciliatory tone. It seems you don't accept this, and are angry about something. You're boring the nice people here. If you want to get personal with me by all means take it to PMs.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patronising is the word you want. Happy to leave it at that.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhud wrote:
Why are you so against Marcus? It isn't because he's a racist, is it. Something to do with someone called Katy, right?

He isn't just racist, he's Homophobic, Transphobic, Islamophobic, Xenophobic, Misogynistic and those are his good points.

He's made some very offensive anti trans comments to a number of trans members of the forum. Did you read the original anti SJW thread before it was deleted?

he pollutes and derails generally sane topics to inject his bigoted poison at any available opportunity and shouts down and personally attacks anyone who disagrees with him.

There are not many people on here who I would describe as woke so its not a case that we are just being overly sensitive. He's just a thoroughly unpleasant individual, he and bodyguard would be no loss to the forum, some might say society.
( you're not exactly a noob so you must have read some of his posts)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enemy-ing more people. Not necessarily cos I don't like them, but because I simply can't be bothered trawling through it all to get to anything that might be interesting enough to bother with. If I decide to check in on it, I can simply browse without logging in. Place is beginning to look a bit sparse when I am logged in though Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem very pedestrian these days, not like the Hetzer days when he had the highest IQ in history and everyone else was not worthy of his contempt. In real life he was a pussy whipped shandy drinker. Or you had the South African guy who used language and terms that we find offensive, but for him it was like using Chav or Scrounger ( the fact that all Chavs and Scroungers happened to be of one colour didn't seem to occur to him) There was a lad who lost his eye, then went on to lose his life, the first gave us comic times, the latter we were all sad for.
The Pinkos seem to have taken on the mantel of playground hard knocks, but they aren't really, just people with well rehearsed rebukes and they back each other up like two little girls with pigtails.

Block people if you don't like them, I have, because of their actions and how it has affected others in real life. I wouldn't sit near them in ANY instance, but most who I disagree with I would sit around a camp fire and chew the cud as has been done in the past.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:29 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that it is the middle of winter, a good chunk of motorcycle riders don't ride out in sub 10 degree weather so it's bound to be a bit quiet.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:33 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Bear in mind that it is the middle of winter, a good chunk of motorcycle riders don't ride out in sub 10 degree weather so it's bound to be a bit quiet.

Because they are whimpy carrot in the bottom fag hags.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

( you're not exactly a noob so you must have read some of his posts)

Sure, I get that. The guy's a dickhead.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:18 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Bhud wrote:

I'm curious about something though.

Jesus, no! Shut up Bhud. You seem like an OK (ish) sort of person. Just let it go now.

Unlike school, we don't have anyone on playground duty here.

In years gone by a whole bunch of us used to meet in person and kind of got to know how eachother worked even if our online personas were sometimes misunderstood.

Nowadays it's a little different although there are some here you wouldn't want to meet IRL. Laughing

Give it up now, mummy says play nice or else it's jamas, bed, no supper, no story.

Here, here.

We yoosti have an annual event to smoke pot and eat shit food and stuff in a foreign field somewhere.

We found out then that those we thought we're whankirz on line are whankirz when on drugs too. Very Happy

But... I enjoyed the craic and would certainly encourage the same. Inshallah, after The Rona passes.
Pity that we burned out the target campsites with rowdiness. (Not really.)

The Donk/MDF/Marcus (In it's latest iteration/ irritation.) does add some colour to discussion.
As long as one rememders that it is a thoughtful bullshite opinion and it never becomes personal or threatening. Then it needs cut off at the sacks.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:04 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the light touch. If it means we have to put up with the occasional unsavory character or peoples paranoia, so be it.

Getting the same unsavory character is becoming a little tedious though.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 13:31 - 23 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4