Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Practice After Passing Test

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:49 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Practice After Passing Test Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has been to empty parking spaces to practice slow maneuvers, emergency stops, hazard avoidance, and all that malarky after passing your licence?

I have been few mid-range general rides on A and B roads but not to do any practice...........A lot youtube videos seem to suggest new riders should keep practicing this till it becomes second nature. what say you?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:11 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t on my 125 but when I got my 650 I did to get used to it

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:58 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real need to do so.

Just be as careful on the road as one always should be.

It's not often one has to turn any vehicle around in a u-turn. There's are obvious and unseen risks doing so.

Put your feet down if you want. No one is marking you.

Keep your speed down, smooth acceleration and braking until that becomes 2nd nature.

Avoid using shit that could cause distractions such as Navigators, mobile phones or iPods playing in your lug holes. There too much important shite to have to take in.

And if you crash on the road at least there will be someone around/come along to assist.
Fall off in an empty car park and next thing we know, you'll be one of those stories on Discovery Channel. Rolling Eyes

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best practice is riding on the road - that way you'll build confidence as well as skill. Just take it slow and steady and if you ride with others, don't try to keep up if it doesn't feel comfortable and safe. Ride at your own pace and within your skill and ability. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:33 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow manouvers and hazard avoidance are things you'll be using every day anyway.

Slow riding is something you'll find yourself doing in stop-start traffic and when approaching traffic lights/junctions. If you can go into "slow ride" mode instead of stopping and starting, you'll find you progress much more smoothly through traffic.

I don't think the hazard avoidance exercise is particularly useful because it concentrates on the hazard. Train yourself to follow a particular path on the road, which focuses on looking at where you want to go, not at what you want to avoid. So when you see the likes of a drain cover, the focus isn't on the drain cover, it's on which is the best and smoothest line round it to put you in the best road position for the next part of the ride. By the time you're at it, it should already be over and done with and you should be concentrating on what's happening further up the road.

There would be an argument for periodically practicing hard braking somewhere quiet. Industrial estates on a Sunday are generally pretty empty. I used to recommend people feel what a front end slide is like (in a straight line under controlled conditions) but most bikes have ABS these days. I've never ridden on with ABS but I'd imagine it would be worth feeling what it's like when that kicks in so it doesn't come as a nasty surprise.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea, particularly if a bike is new to you. If you can do a U-turn within a couple of car parking spaces then you're more confident that you're able to maneuvre that bike around. You may never need to actually do a U-turn on the road, but if you can do a few tight circles to the left or right in a car park, that can only help, as you figure out the lean angle you need and the speed at which you should be going to make slow speed maneuvres easiest, with that bike.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:01 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember the last time I did an actual u-turn...

Just ride on the road and build skill and confidence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I tried a U turn was about 30 years ago in Spain. The Mrs and I were touring on my old GSX750F, heavily laden with camping gear. I went the wrong way in Bilbao and ended up at a dead end with a couple of cafes overlooking. Thinking I was good and in 90 degree heat in leathers, I attempted to execute the perfect feet up U turn with an audience of old Spanish blokes watching intently. Needless to say I dropped it in slow motion halfway round, much to the delight of the old bastards, none of whom came over to help me pick it up...

Point being, think ahead and there is a fair chance you will never need to do a U turn so not much point practicing that.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular road riding will build confidence but
if you get chance to do some 'off piste' exercises, I'd say do it
especially slow speed moves.

I've seen guys on big bikes look decidedly wobbly at low speed
and had new to me bikes where I wasn't as confident at slow speed as I had been on previous bikes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:12 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Last time I tried a U turn was about 30 years ago in Spain. The Mrs and I were touring on my old GSX750F, heavily laden with camping gear. I went the wrong way in Bilbao and ended up at a dead end with a couple of cafes overlooking. Thinking I was good and in 90 degree heat in leathers, I attempted to execute the perfect feet up U turn with an audience of old Spanish blokes watching intently. Needless to say I dropped it in slow motion halfway round, much to the delight of the old bastards, none of whom came over to help me pick it up...

Point being, think ahead and there is a fair chance you will never need to do a U turn so not much point practicing that.

Alternatively, if you'd practiced, you'd have done it no bother?

Perhaps you never do U-turns because you can't?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was riding small bikes (50 then 100cc) for a couple of years before I passed my tests. Seemed enough to me to not have to practice off road anywhere after passing. Then went up to a big bike and just rode it a lot.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember doing it but its possible I might have done, as I lived directly opposite a big Sainsburys in Fulham Laughing

But pretty much with being in London, one had to go further than the carpark fairly soon, so there was no point staying there practising when I could get better experience on the road itself.

I remember famously stalling halfway across the junction of Vauxhall Bridge and the Embankment. Also, Bayswater Road on the way to Marblle Arch in rush hour is not a great time to stall. Even the cylists gave me gyp Laughing

Have a little go in a car park for a day or two if you've passed your CBT and still need a practice, but how far do you have to ride to get to one? Its all practice.

Just try to get out there and learn.

But yes, when learning, you should have no external interference in the way of headsets or music or whatever. You should learn to use your instincts and what little availability to sounds you have through your helmet, you need to HEAR STUFF going on around you!

Same about the u-eys: on some bikes I can do 'em easy, but on others, not so great. It's all about getting the riding time in to practice.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Practice After Passing Test Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
I have been few mid-range general rides on A and B roads but not to do any practice...........

It can be beneficial to go for a ride with the specific intent to practice and improve your technique, without any other particular motive (like going somewhere with other riders, travelling to work etc.), simply so you're not under any other pressures (keeping up with other people, time pressure etc.), and can concentrate just on technique. You can also plan a route appropriate for that practice then (like including an industrial estate to practice your wheelies u-turns).

As for what you should be practicing, you know what you're weak on better than we do.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding in town helps with slow stuff. Filtering especially. Go out at 4:30 and ride around for an hour or two, any week day. Try to avoid (overuse of) braking. Try to avoid putting a foot down.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding for nearly 40 years now and still take time out to play in car parks, figure of 8s, u turns, slow riding etc. No harm to keep it up, plus it's fun.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Filtering especially. Go out at 4:30 and ride around for an hour or two, any week day.

It took me about three years of screaming "get out of the fucking way" into my helmet every time someone even twitched to change lines whilst I was filtering between them out of the Limehouse Link on the way home - I can almost calmly filter at speed now. Almost. Shifty And not terribly high speed ... erm Laughing

I used to hate the idea of being knocked off when on my way home. I had this mentality of "if I have to get knocked off, can they please do it in my bosses' time (i.e., in the morning), not my own" Laughing

Quote:
Try to avoid (overuse of) braking. Try to avoid putting a foot down.

It's an art, part of the game of Traffic Tetris: how far can i get without putting my feet down Cool Thumbs Up

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:32 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did when I had to practice for the Mod1. Nothing wrong with brushing up the gymkhana skills.

U-turn is a very good skill to nail to be honest, Low speed drops at full lock is very common for people to make drops to be honest. Few times with a loaded up tourer ive had to shamefully put a foot down than have the balance, brake and clutch control to nail it like I could without all the luggage.

Its all practice, also a alright environment to practice emergency stops more to nail the muscle memory of progressively braking hard rather than grabbing the lever.

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:28 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it - opinion seems to be split

Mod 2 was straight forward me but Mod 1 was my Achilles heel (failed twice before passing 3rd time Very Happy )
which I assumed was also hard on most new riders, hence why I asked the question.

I guess no harm in just going out for the sole purpose of doing some slow-speed controls and building muscle memory of progressive braking.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only advice I can add is leave more room in front. Cars generally have shorter stopping distances than bikes especially at low speeds where acar driver can dtop in less than your average reaction time but mostly because it gives you a time buffer to 'realise' what's happening. It's very hard to crash into empty space.

Oh, and don't be one of these dummies that ride along in traffic with their hazards going. Especially if it's dark and raining. It really makes it hard for the guy behind.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Alternatively, if you'd practiced, you'd have done it no bother?

Perhaps you never do U-turns because you can't?

That is a bit harsh from a bloke who makes his living from fingering animals!!! Laughing

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice slow riding and slow turns on our local trading estate using the white carpark lines to gauge how I'm doing. Generally do this at the start of spring so im not rusty. Also practice U turns just so I know I can if needed.

Why? Why not.

However, U turns on the road - not for me. I'd rather stop. Make sure its all clear and push the bike safely to a point where I can ride off without risk. If I had longer legs or a shorter lighter bike I'd paddle it.

No problem with a tight turn at lights or a junction where other traffic is under control.

Practice is good.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Try to avoid putting a foot down.

One thing that always gets me is the sheer amount of scoot boys and 125 boys who two feet down at every stop.

Also another thing I notice is that at lights I pull the clutch in, keep it in gear and then let it out when the lights change. Most people I sit aside at lights take it out of gear then whack it into gear to move off again. Maybe it makes no difference, but am I wrong? I also see the guys on Yammie Noobs channel go into neutral at stops too.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If at lights .....

Clutch wear.

Also if you get nudged or your hand slips off the clutch etc etc.

Pop it in neutral . As you see opposing lights go Amber then you know yours are coming. Do the flip flop foot thing and off you go.

Which is also the handy thing with not filtering right to the front - time to react and let the traffic get moving.

If its just waiting for a gap at a junction then it's clutch in and go when clear.

Or just buy a DCT bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how long I think I'm going to be stopped for.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
If at lights .....

Clutch wear.

Also if you get nudged or your hand slips off the clutch etc etc.

Pop it in neutral . As you see opposing lights go Amber then you know yours are coming. Do the flip flop foot thing and off you go.

Which is also the handy thing with not filtering right to the front - time to react and let the traffic get moving.

If its just waiting for a gap at a junction then it's clutch in and go when clear.

Or just buy a DCT bike.

OK, fair enough I just sit with the clutch in, left foot down and my right foot holding the rear brake, I don't know why but I thought this was what you were supposed to do from CBT Embarassed

On filtering, I make it a point of principle to filter to the very front or as close to the front as much as possible. Obviously depends on the situation at the time but I always try to where possible.

I just wish that instead of cagers getting mad, they saw it as a perk and got their own bikes too. Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2