Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

#ntdwi

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 18 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kawasaki Jimbo"]
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So the name doesn't really make a lot ofdifferent and actions mean a lot more?

So in that context, in what way was Malik Faisal Akram “British”?[/quote

Someone who came to this this country, and is now British.

Last edited by Polarbear on 09:44 - 19 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So the name doesn't really make a lot ofdifferent and actions mean a lot more?

What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:30 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
Bhud wrote:
The woman who crossed the Atlantic on foot: I agree she was only in the news because it was the first for a "British Asian woman".

If she walked across the Atlantic, she certainly deserves to be in the news. She should be the basis of a religion...... Mr. Green

I think it was meant to be "Antarctic"

British-born Indian woman becomes ‘first woman of colour’ to complete solo Antarctic expedition

Interesting how the Indian press refer to her as a "British-born Indian" Wink

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:48 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

That's not even slightly interesting.

She's more British than you are. She has done something for her country, much unlike you.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

That's not even slightly interesting.

She's more British than you are. She has done something for her country, much unlike you.

That's a bit unnecessary, what do you know of my achievements? Would you have me brag about 32 bikes parked in my garage like some others? Smile Or should I go with "my work transcends national borders, it is a gift to the world!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm merely pointing out that she has been "claimed" by India whilst being British-born. Rubbing shoulders with success is common place, how often are the likes of Andy Murray referred to as British rather than Scottish. How often has a Prime Minister congratulated a sports person (as if the PM had anything to do with their success.)

If anything most of the articles about her mention her birth place and job in passing. Her ancestry and PoC status apparently much more important.

For example, typing "Captain Harpreet Chandi" into Google gets you:

Captain Harpreet Chandi becomes first Indian-origin woman ...
Captain Harpreet Chandi Is The First Woman Of Indian ...
Harpreet Chandi: First woman of colour to reach South Pole solo
Captain Harpreet Chandi Wiki, Age, Husband, Family ...
Meet Harpreet Chandi, who trekked solo to South Pole
Indian-Origin Captain Harpreet Chandi reaches South Pole
British Sikh woman army officer Capt Harpreet Chandi sets off ...
Army Captain aims to become first woman to cross Antarctica ...
Polar Preet: Meet the British Army officer taking on Antarctica

All the facts align perfectly but framing, ah that's the thing Wink

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just frustrated - never mind that stupid woman.

I'm not a fan of Dominic Cummings. He isn't as smart as he thinks he is, and he relies on discredited theories. But he has summed up the whole problem as I see it.

"We have 21st Century technologies, 20th Century bureaucracies, 19th Century crisis management, pre-Bayes training for senior people in decision-making under uncertainty, and Stone Age biological instincts to kill out-groups under pressure. This means we will continue to experience crises moving 1000X faster than summer 1914 with 1,000,000X more destructive power than 1914 with similar crisis management to 1914 — a bunch of middle-aged guys with similar backgrounds and poor training, thinking similarly, sitting around a table with pencils on a table, and no modern tools to help them."

The in-group out-group thinking applies to just about everything - not just that stupid woman or that terrorist guy. It's right vs left, Tory vs Labour, etc. And because it's a complex and interconnected world, the price of not meeting the challenge of dealing with endemic fragilities is HEAVY. Covid, for example, ripped through the world. It has affected everything. Could have been a lot worse. The next one might be. We've regressed, but not everyone else has. A fight is still a fight, even if you get old or sick.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
She has done something for her country.

Like what?

Is this an expression of the idea that only those in the military can be considered to have served their country?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

She made us look good.

Frankly, being in the military has intrinsic value as the military is a foundational pillar of any organised society - not just this one. If you've got no military, you've got no Britain. You can't say the same for the butcher or baker or candlestick maker.

If you want to sign up to fight for this country, it has to worthwhile to you. This means the pay and benefits have to be better than whatever other options might be open to you. As we simply can't offer the outstanding pay and benefits of a career in the American armed forces but we need a modern, professional military anyway, this means recruitment has to be opened up to people from poor countries, to whom signing up for the armed forces must have positive appeal as a career path. This is, for example, why the Gurkhas were and still are recruited, i.e. Nepal is much poorer than the UK. Meanwhile, many foreigners from third world or developing countries are still recruited into the UK's armed forces. Seeing her face in the news promotes the idea that the armed forces are progressive and open, and that recruitment and progression through the ranks is based on earned merit regardless of being brown or a woman.

The fact she trekked across Antarctica has helped to put a positive spin on life in the armed forces. She had to at least give up some of her time to go to Sandhurst (I assume) and stay in barracks in basic training, and now she's being used to show how women, ethnics and other minorities can become influential and successful through an armed forces career. The armed forces need positive public outreach and marketing. They are like an insurance policy, or recovery policy. Nobody likes having to pay but hopefully we can all see the wisdom in having one (i.e. one day they might be needed).

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:26 - 20 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Bhud wrote:
She has done something for her country.

Like what?

Is this an expression of the idea that only those in the military can be considered to have served their country?

She was in the military in name only. She has more in common with an aid worker in terms of job role. She mostly did medical assistance for the UN. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not fighting for your country either.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 20 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
"We have 21st Century technologies, 20th Century bureaucracies, 19th Century crisis management, pre-Bayes training for senior people in decision-making under uncertainty, and Stone Age biological instincts to kill out-groups under pressure. This means we will continue to experience crises moving 1000X faster than summer 1914 with 1,000,000X more destructive power than 1914 with similar crisis management to 1914 — a bunch of middle-aged guys with similar backgrounds and poor training, thinking similarly, sitting around a table with pencils on a table, and no modern tools to help them."

It's actually worse than that! The World's run by Boomers advised by Gen-Z interns. The US is probably the worst example of this.

The Antarctic trek thing is just "I did stuff, you can do stuff" standard inspirational gig along the lines of JFK's "We choose to go to the moon... not because [it is] easy, but because [it is] hard..." Everyone loves a hero - literally, it's baked in at a deep psychological level - but the scramble to claim ownership of the hero... Sad

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 20 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

She was in the military in name only. She has more in common with an aid worker in terms of job role. She mostly did medical assistance for the UN. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not fighting for your country either.

I would argue that fighting pointless wars in the Middle East and drawing reciprocal attacks back home isn’t ‘serving your country’ any more than the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker’s efforts. When those guys signed up to resist invasion and then free Europe that was serving. They’re the guys I think about on Remembrance Day.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:18 - 20 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I would argue that fighting pointless wars in the Middle East and drawing reciprocal attacks back home isn’t ‘serving your country’ any more than the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker’s efforts. When those guys signed up to resist invasion and then free Europe that was serving. They’re the guys I think about on Remembrance Day.

Now that is a good post, nicely put. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically might actually be #ntdwi...

Nusrat Ghani: PM orders Cabinet Office to investigate 'Muslimness' claim

New word alert Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I'm sure you're not, but don't blame the servicemen for the wars they fight in. And even in illegitimate wars, they are serving the country to a degree if they do well. In many instances, our troops handled the situations they found themselves in very well, and so increased our reputation around the world. Especially in the aftermath of the actual main fighting. It's often in the more diplomatic side of military service that our servicemen cement their reputations. And yes of course there were some not-so-great interactions, but generally I think we do well.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Ironically might actually be #ntdwi...

Nusrat Ghani: PM orders Cabinet Office to investigate 'Muslimness' claim

New word alert Smile

Oh her. Yes, it could be people weren't happy with her Muslimness, perhaps she was shoving it down their throats at every oppertunity. Or perhaps she was just utterly useless at her job and using the race/religion card to deflrct from that or perhaps she was actually sidelined because of her Muslimness. Who knows.

Sadly the result will be that anything other than total agreement that it was her Muslimness being disliked that was the issue will be howled down as a whitewash.

Whitewash being the operative word.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone watch the Manchester Arena documentary this week, where Salman Abedi unleashed a shrapnel-laden message of peace ?

Things I didn't know are that the police went on a long break, then two officers 'chose' not to come back off break.

Also his brother dinnonuthin and got off scot free. rly?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any cunt who expects to be taken seriously needs to accept the following:
Personal belief and support of others beliefs in imaginary beings will/may be met with the disrespect and disregard it deserves.

I fail to understand why it still holds some magical power over everyone whether they're faithful or faithless.

Its all wankery.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

EID fite

celebration sorry

https://fb.watch/cOm36apI9s/

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaked Prevent review attacks ‘double standards’ on far right and Islamists

This was in the Guardian of all places
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/16/leaked-prevent-review-attacks-double-standards-on-rightwingers-and-islamists

What I've noticed is that Far-Righter's have 'Manifestos' whereas Snacks have 'Lone-wolf Mental Health Issues'

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/16/leaked-prevent-review-attacks-double-standards-on-rightwingers-and-islamists

What I've noticed is that Far-Righter's have 'Manifestos' whereas Snacks have 'Lone-wolf Mental Health Issues'

That won't go down well with the apologists. Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
bhinso wrote:

That won't go down well with the apologists. Laughing

Because religion is a mental health issue. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Lack of religion (and replacing it with empty-headed ideology) certainly is a mental illness.

Where does it come from, this distain for religion? Even the Church of England frown on actually believing in God these days Sad Another lie we can blame on the postmodernists?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:37 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Lack of religion (and replacing it with empty-headed ideology) certainly is a mental illness.

Where does it come from, this distain for religion? Even the Church of England frown on actually believing in God these days Sad Another lie we can blame on the postmodernists?

It's simply because a large proportion of people in this world understand the scientific method and if it cannot be proved they don't blindly believe it.

Also, because it sounds completely bonkers.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's simply because a large proportion of people in this world understand the scientific method and if it cannot be proved they don't blindly believe it.

Also, because it sounds completely bonkers.

I've never understood why people say they believe in science so they don't believe in God. As a scientist myself I can only see the logical fallacy in that argument as absence of proof is not proof of absence.

I don't believe there is a God, but as a scientist I have to accept the possibility that there might be until proven otherwise.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:53 - 07 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do accept there are things that we do not understand, know about and have been proved yet but it's a bit of a stretch to say that if I don't have blind faith in a sky fairy then I'm using different standards for the two things.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
Page 152 of 170