Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SMIDSY time.. Lucky to live.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheRealSmiler
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:41 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: SMIDSY time.. Lucky to live. Reply with quote

Well what a nice start to the year; I was on my way to work yesterday on the GSX600F at 9pm when a 20 year old woman decided to pull out in front of me right on the junction straight into the right hand lane of the dual carriageway. Was riding along at 40mph and saw her pulling out just as I got to the junction I made the only decision that I could do which is to move into the right hand lane being my only escape route.

Unfortunately I ended up rear ending the car and hitting the road hard, after moving out of the way and out of the way of the road police turned up and helped move the bike to clear the road. The lady admitted that she wasn't looking for bikes and that she didn't see me. We both did the breathalyzer which turned out at zero and exchanged details.

Ended up climbing into the back of a police van just to get to the hospital due to the expected 6 hour wait followed by 11 hours waiting in A&E; XRAY's, CT & Bloods were taken however luckily it's only really bad bruising. The bike on the other hand is going to be a write off I haven't seen it since last night (but it didn't look good).

White is where I saw the car pull out red is where I hit her and green is my course of action as best as I can do on a laptop in paint.

https://i.ibb.co/xqnB874/crash.png

It's been a long time since the last SMIDSY that was also no fault can anyone remember the rough timescale I'm looking at for the steps.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:31 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

'kin 'ell

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:36 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the dozy idiot gets a driving without due care / dangerous driving as those are a sliding points scale and large fine.

Well done on no potato.

Really really impressed with the shit paint diagram Very Happy

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:40 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that paint diagram presented to the court, you are going to walk away with millions of ponds because "long term loss of cognitive function"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
walk away with millions of ponds

How about a few small lakes?

Seriously though, glad everyone is ok. Car drivers are dozy twats at the best of times.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs*
Glad you are still with us, sweetie. *mwah*

Is this the Official 2022 Spill Counter, then?

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: SMIDSY time.. Lucky to live. Reply with quote

TheRealSmiler wrote:
Well what a nice start to the year; I was on my way to work yesterday on the GSX600F at 9pm when a 20 year old woman decided to pull out in front of me right on the junction straight into the right hand lane of the dual carriageway. Was riding along at mph and saw her pulling out just as I got to the junction I made the only decision that I could do which is to move into the right hand lane being my only escape route.

Unfortunately I ended up rear ending the car and hitting the road hard, after moving out of the way and out of the way of the road police turned up and helped move the bike to clear the road. The lady admitted that she wasn't looking for bikes and that she didn't see me. We both did the breathalyzer which turned out at zero and exchanged details.

Ended up climbing into the back of a police van just to get to the hospital due to the expected 6 hour wait followed by 11 hours waiting in A&E; XRAY's, CT & Bloods were taken however luckily it's only really bad bruising. The bike on the other hand is going to be a write off I haven't seen it since last night (but it didn't look good).

White is where I saw the car pull out red is where I hit her and green is my course of action as best as I can do on a laptop in paint.

https://i.ibb.co/xqnB874/crash.png

It's been a long time since the last SMIDSY that was also no fault can anyone remember the rough timescale I'm looking at for the steps.
If it's not a 40 limit (looks like a 30) I would remove that bit from your text above.

edit I take it back, found it on streetview and saw the signs

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Is this the Official 2022 Spill Counter, then?

whoah Proustian rush alert - don't think we've had a spill counter thread since about 1932!!

them was the days - when people actually posted on bcf, and some of 'em even rode bikes Mr. Green

now it's just tumbleweed junction since everyone migrated to revtothelimit and tmbf

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: SMIDSY time.. Lucky to live. Reply with quote

TheRealSmiler wrote:

Glad to hear there was no real injuries. Insurance can cover the bike but not your life. Hope the dozy cunt gets done.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone says, the bike can be replaced, you can't. Glad you walked (crawled?) away from this one.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.
WTF was she even doing heading straight for the right-hand lane? It's not as if there was even a right-hand turn coming up imminently that she was going for. If that hadn't happened, obviously your evasive action would have worked...

TheRealSmiler
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike however nice it was unfortunately will be replaced with an automatic car when I can afford it. I'll still be riding but it will be my trusty k100 when I can afford to get it back on the road and my Honda Monkey. It is definitely a 40mph road as I've done that road for the last 4 years virtually every day. Still really sore but very lucky considering that wall could have easily given a different outcome.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Ouch.
WTF was she even doing heading straight for the right-hand lane? It's not as if there was even a right-hand turn coming up imminently that she was going for. If that hadn't happened, obviously your evasive action would have worked...

Exactly my question as well, the evasive action should have worked (it didn't) and it was my only option given the short distance I had to react in. It's a normal case of dozy driver not looking at where she was going and most probably always driving in the right hand lane.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's that horrible feeling when you knowyou aren't going to be able to get away with it. You are going to hit something whatever you do and you know it's going to hurt.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealSmiler wrote:
k100

I actually really like the look of the Bimmer, I just think £4,000 - £6,000 is a lot of money for what it is Crying or Very sad

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
There's that horrible feeling when you knowyou aren't going to be able to get away with it.

Oh yes. I have a very vivid memory of overcooking a fast country bend and running off the edge heading straight for a grassy bank, and just thinking 'Oh fuck', literally thinking this was it; my number was up. Then the lights went out, and that sight was the last thing I was aware of until I came round some minutes later.

I kind of feel I now know what dying might be like (and in particular, that when you're dead, you're definitely dead).

TheRealSmiler
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
There's that horrible feeling when you knowyou aren't going to be able to get away with it. You are going to hit something whatever you do and you know it's going to hurt.

Yes, it really is luckily the damage on the C1 is just a big black mark on the right hand side and none of the lights are working.

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I actually really like the look of the Bimmer, I just think £4,000 - £6,000 is a lot of money for what it is Crying or Very sad

I've had about 15 in the last 6 years, which is rather annoying as I've even sold them for profit at a lot less than that. MY current one has over 100k miles, stolen recovered, been set on fire and tugged a sidecar all in my possession before the local mechanic destroyed the engine. Absolute great bikes and a piece of joy to work on. Especially in winter as they have ceramic pistons so they aren't affected by the salt.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:07 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really don't have the best of luck, if I remember the last time this happened the police gave the guy the option of giving up his licence rather than prosecuting him.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey Smiler Shocked

I hope they prosecute the dozy bint - especially as she admitted not paying proper attention to the vehicles on the road.

Well done for quick avoidance action and walking away with bumps and bruises. It could have been a lot worse. Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck. At least it's just bruising though.

Might be time to consider an action camera.

Not to preempt what anyone might say, but the fact she says she just wasn't looking out for bikes and didn't see you is a common one. However, what if the actual truth is that she did see you, and pulled out fast to cut in front, while underestimating your speed. Who knows how this story will evolve.

Action camera Thumbs Up

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. She probably did see you but under-estimated speed or didn't care.

It's also a same thought process that goes with driving old cars. They think that an old car is slow and pull out - and whilst that may be the case in comparison to new cars - an old car can't do 30 or 40 mph? Laughing Laughing Laughing

They see old car: they think old banger that doesn't go anywhere fast. They see motorbike, they think is far away or doesn't see at all because not doing observations and properly assessing situations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Yup. She probably did see you but under-estimated speed or didn't care.

It's also a same thought process that goes with driving old cars. They think that an old car is slow and pull out - and whilst that may be the case in comparison to new cars - an old car can't do 30 or 40 mph? Laughing Laughing Laughing

They see old car: they think old banger that doesn't go anywhere fast. They see motorbike, they think is far away or doesn't see at all because not doing observations and properly assessing situations.

People don't see what they're not looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_lTKZm1Ts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to saccades again. You can be visible by changing road position as approaching junctions . You are no longer where the looking eye expected yiu ti be so you register as new data and are then seen.

Of course it doesn't help if they really aren't looking cos phone or looking the other way but it does help with typical smidsy .

I post links to this stuff from time to time

https://motorbikewriter.com/scientific-studies-explain-smidsy/

There's another one.

https://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

It's worth a read and digest.

TheRealSmiler
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I come up to a junction on a motorbike (not with sidecar) I normally do the little shuffle which is shake the handlebars slightly if I deem it to be too much of a risk. Also ride with my flip front helmet up so my face is visible which normally helps to make me visible. Unfortunately this just wasn't one of those times.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You really don't have the best of luck, if I remember the last time this happened the police gave the guy the option of giving up his licence rather than prosecuting him.

Yes and he was caught driving at least 4 times whilst I was living in Bristol.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:19 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was he prosecuted for them and did you make a victim statement?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealSmiler wrote:
Whenever I come up to a junction on a motorbike (not with sidecar) I normally do the little shuffle which is shake the handlebars slightly if I deem it to be too much of a risk. Also ride with my flip front helmet up so my face is visible which normally helps to make me visible. Unfortunately this just wasn't one of those times.

At which point by the grace of God and good gear. There really are some clueless idiots out there
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3