Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Highway code changes, cars and cyclists

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Highway code changes, cars and cyclists Reply with quote

So a min gap of 1.5m must be maintained when overtaking them. They can now legally be 2 abreast too.

Does anyone else wonder how that works if you are halfway past a line of parked cars and the lycra brigade then force their way through.

No gap available of 1.5M available. Do you then have to reverse back to a suitable point....

I foresee comedy carnage with the new powers bestowed on them giving them the 100% option to be dead right.

Any number of scenarios spring to mind where they will now insist on their legal right being enforced.

If I'm on the bike it's no bother but around the narrow leafy lanes of Hertfordshire the Tour De Twat are going to be a nightmare for cars.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a problem when as is typical round here there's a straggly group of ten or more over about 100 yards.
Chances of overtaking all of them are slim so it Ok to just barge back in between them Laughing
Usually I have a big pickup with trailer on you can't accelerate or brake like a car, but neither do you want to look a lycra bottoms for 10 minutes while barely able to run in second gear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:04 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually says:
"never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends"

Which is actually an improvement from what it used to say.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:07 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Highway code changes, cars and cyclists Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Does anyone else wonder how that works if you are halfway past a line of parked cars and the lycra brigade then force their way through.

Why have you not given way to oncoming traffic?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It actually says:
"never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends"

Which is actually an improvement from what it used to say.

Which would be fine if they all adhered to it.
Our road system as it now is was built for motorised vehicles. Want cyclist priority? Then rebuild the system for them. Good luck.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno ... 'its not a narrow road / it's not that busy' etc etc. The ones we get around here will milk this for all they think it's worth.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2022/01/new-2022-highway-code-changes-are-you-aware-of-the-new-rules/

Full list here. It requires both parties not to be knobbers .....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
It requires both parties not to be knobbers .....

Good luck Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

Good luck Laughing

That was my thought Very Happy I sat and watched it almost degenerate into fisticuffs at the weekend when 30 of them met Karen in her V8 Rangie dropping the darlings at the Rugby as she overtook half a mile of parked cars.

Could clearly hear the shouts of "our right of way".

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hate cyclists.

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/abVO6ZO_460s.jpg

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:19 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orbea aren't that bad. Sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:03 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as I see it, cyclists and the like don't have to try and go round the inside lanes of a roundabout and should be indicating in the outside lane that they are turning right.

Not an issue to deal with.

People clearly waiting to cross on minor roads at junctions have to be given right of way.

Also not a problem.

Finally, the Dutch reach. It says should and not shall or must so as long as you check behind before opening the door, also not a problem. You should be doing that anyway.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not what you should or should not be doing, it's what people weren't doing and now the onus is placed ever further on the motorist.

Zero fcuks given about red light jumping or a mandatory offside bar end mirror etc.

The fact we've not enough real coppers to enforce anything at all and cameras that are only any good at identifying the identifiable.

I guess time will tell.

scoobydaz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

Could clearly hear the shouts of "our right of way".

Taking my daughter to work last year I passed through Shere in Surrey, the road narrowed and had a give way to oncoming traffic sign as this https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2207231,-0.4655773,3a,54.7y,105.83h,100.61t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAF1QipOx_XxfK_ZE-J4I4PoFobqnKrqKm-zlw_BiYvJD!2e10!3e11!7i11000!8i5500?hl=en
As I approached three gents on bicycles came towards me in line. I duly stopped and waited for them to pass through the pinch point and carried on my way.

Coming back half an hour later in the opposite direction I was met by another two c*nts on bikes who just went straight through the give way sign, the second one screaming at me and slapping off the wing mirror cover, he peddled like a demon when I skidded to a halt.

I bet you all know what I'm going to do next time I approach that spot.....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:21 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydaz wrote:

I bet you all know what I'm going to do next time I approach that spot.....

Coply with the signeage and road markings? But with dogshit smeared drawing pins on your mirror cover.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
But with dogshit smeared drawing pins on your mirror cover.

Tea, spluttered. Laughing Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pedal cycle more often that motorcycle these days and I have to say it's not easy out there. I commute in jeans and a hi-viz cycle anorak I don't own any lycra and I do also find the weekend 'tour de twats' a bit annoying at times.
But like all factions there's twats and good old boys in every group. Taxi's cars, lorries you name it, hell even motorcyclists..
On this occasion I'm siding with the cyclists who like motorcyclist do need some extra recognition as a valid road user.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I pedal cycle more often that motorcycle these days

Crying or Very sad I thought you were a good guy too

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
A100man wrote:
I pedal cycle more often that motorcycle these days

Yeah, I talk a good game..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Yeah, I talk a good game..

At least you get a better view these days.

https://images.theconversation.com/files/123611/original/image-20160523-11020-iyaz3o.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=926&fit=clip

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:13 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Not road legal because they don't have a brake on the rear wheel...

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Islander wrote:

A100man's always been a bit of a rebel at heart.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:59 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Islander wrote:

Trying to use.a front brake would be entertaining for anyone observing as well.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
It's not what you should or should not be doing, it's what people weren't doing and now the onus is placed ever further on the motorist.

Zero fcuks given about red light jumping or a mandatory offside bar end mirror etc.

The fact we've not enough real coppers to enforce anything at all and cameras that are only any good at identifying the identifiable.

I guess time will tell.
I'm a bicycle courier by trade and alot of what normal cyclists do bugs me, but you have to consider why zero fucks are given about those things, what often forces it in the first place.

Wankers in cars.
Every day I deal with twats who turn without indicating, pull out without looking and force their way past at traffic islands.

So inevitably when I catch up to these fucktards and ask if they feel better about themselves now being stuck at a red light or behind 65 other cars queueing, and laugh at their stupidity, they either get physically aggressive or, in lesser circumstances, actually ram me off the road.

They're in a protective metal fucking box, so yeah, I'll take all the priority in the world to keep me safe at work and earn a basic living.
I do not agree with cyclists by and large taking liberties, but also motorists get away with actual murder for the sake of being a bit more entitled than they could be.
Want a level playing field?

Treat some vulnerable road users with a touch of compassion.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to that, as an extension of how well most drivers have it currently; creeping into a bike box at lights is a 3 point offence but 95% of drivers do it, even the long serving professional bus/taxi/breakdown folk.
No Police ever enforce it, I have been told by several officers "we can't be bothered to do that"

Alot of bike boxes are there to provide a safe space for bikes to wait.
They also serve as a brilliant way to shorten those half mile queues when all the Karens are on the school run, so having a little car sized box at the front puts all the half dozen bikes in a suitable place, rather than them each taking up a hot hatch space in said queue between the Evoque's making it a fair bit longer.

When I see idiots creeping into it only to get no further forwards it irritates me, because there is no advantage. it's actually helping out every motorist in the queue to have a bike box used by bikes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:48 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, it's also illegal for bikes to enter quite a large number of the "bike boxes" you see about the place when the light is red. Unless they remembered to put a section of cycle lane leading into them AND the cyclist uses that cycle lane to enter them. Otherwise the solid white line is the stop line and if you cross it on red, you are comitting an offence.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3