Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When statue removal goes wrong

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:33 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: When statue removal goes wrong Reply with quote

This is where things go too far.

Basically, the organisation that was set up by slavers but is doing good works and acknowledges their history are expected to give up their works is a step too far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-60124141

I don't expect repentance to go to the point where they stop doing good stuff. It's a bit different when there's a statue is lording over people. This organisation knows where it came from, doesn't deny the harm it caused but has moved on and quite frankly it's an exemplar of how things should be done.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to raze all of Bristol to the ground and start again, the whole place is obviously contaminated. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't people have better things to do than worry about statues? Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they give it to the council sooner or later they will invent a 'valid' reason to nibble into it and with precedent develop it more and more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slavery happened. Sending boys up chimneys happened. Child prostitution happened. Nuclear bombs dropped on Japan happened.

Perhaps we ought to concentrate on todays ills, not the 17th century's that no one can change.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:52 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
If they give it to the council sooner or later they will invent a 'valid' reason to nibble into it and with precedent develop it more and more.

I'd go so far as to say they already have plans for it and invented the story to leverage them out of ownership, and I'll bet tentative offers were previously made, and declined or ignored, so this is their response.

I remember a local council having land with a covenant oposite me a few years back, didn't take them long to get around it by renaming their intended activity, to comply in name only....up went their housing estate. Not that I cared, I was moving anyway.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: When statue removal goes wrong Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
This is where things go too far.

Basically, the organisation that was set up by slavers but is doing good works and acknowledges their history are expected to give up their works is a step too far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-60124141

I don't expect repentance to go to the point where they stop doing good stuff. It's a bit different when there's a statue is lording over people. This organisation knows where it came from, doesn't deny the harm it caused but has moved on and quite frankly it's an exemplar of how things should be done.

This is the central problem: there is no repentance, sins are neither forgotten nor forgiven. However...

If you hand over all your stuff and step into this 'ere suicide booth we promise to only erase you from history and not all your family and friends. Can't say fairer than that Wink

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone wants to show who rules the streets that's one thing.

When someone wants land, that's quite another. I'm suspicious. Would that land be suitable for housing, by any chance? Where there's land, there's a plan.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:05 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are wankers. Sometimes they look for any excuse to be wankers.
Whatever cause they find, it never changes the underlying fact that they are , indeed, wankers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1