Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

To tank bag or not to tank bag...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:59 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: To tank bag or not to tank bag... Reply with quote

I'm heading off on my first proper motorbike adventure at the end of this month with a trip to the Lake District. I'll be riding up from Hampshire and camping in the Langdales for a number of days.

Idea is to spend half the time walking the fells and the other half soaking up the mountain roads and wonderful views on the bike.

I've got a Tiger 850 with hard panniers and a top box and know that everything needed for the trip will fit inside. However, my question relates to tank bags.

Why do people use tank bags?

When might people wish to use a tank bag?

Is it worth getting a tank bag?

I welcome thoughts on this and look forward to hearing/learning from you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So generally, the upside of tankbags (compared to other on-bike luggage) is that the contents is easily accessible without getting off the bike. And the downside is you have to remove them to fill the tank. That's about it really, though most tankbags also have a clear pouch on top that can be useful for maps/notes/documents you might want to see while riding.

I generally use a rucksack for my wallet/phone/random tat I want to get quick access to when on a bike trip. But if there's a lot of stuff like that (so it's heavier), and/or I'm not going to be going very far from the bike, I'll use a tankbag instead. Some tank bags come with shoulder straps so you can use them as both.

Personally, I don't regard them as essential luggage, but they can be useful in the right situation.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideal for smaller items that you might need without getting off to pannier rummage or unzipping jacket for internal pockets especially camera gear when touring about.
A lot of them can be lifted off and used as man bag for same items you don't want to leave on a parked bike.
Often there's a transparent top for map or phone screen is useful
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a minimalist when riding or going somewhere on my bike.
I find a tank-bag and a rucksack will hold everything I need for my trips.

Saves having panniers and top box fitted.

Panniers & top box are good for big long tours.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.givi.co.uk/givi-products/soft-bags/tank-bags/mt505-tanklock

If i'm just out for a mooch, I use that but rotate the lock so that it sits further forward on the tank.

Enough space to get my diabetic crap, a snack, wallet, phone and battery pack plus some other odds and sods. Small enough to remove and carry with you.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:12 - 20 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main use for me is quick access to passport/documents for border control. Very handy to keep cloth and spray in there for cleaning visor, spare ear plugs, powerbank charging things etc.

Some of the tankbags also have backpack straps on them so you can use it for 50/50

Its also a means of shifting a little weight forward instead of piling it all up over the rear which can affect handling a lot of some machines.

If you dont think you have a use for it then I would not bother, other downside is not easy to lock and leave it like a hardbox. (unless you leave it inside one)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had enough luggage options that I never needed to use a tank bag. However, their convenience of access meant that I usually did opt for one. When refilling, it was simple to unfasten and tip the bag back onto the seat. At first I used a couple of bungees to provide extra security, but then decided the magnets were strong enough to keep it in place without, as long as I didn't put too much weight in it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mid-sized one and it's very useful. I can fit in a 500ml flask, sandwiches, 'phone etc.., plus keep wallet etc. in it. Easily removed when parked up, easily accessed (e.g. if stopping to take a photo, or checking the map). Not really a hinderance when filling up - quick release means it's no more arduous than getting off the bike.

Check compatibility - not all work on all bikes, some can foul the handlebars.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a tank bag for many years now,from my first ride abroad back in 1982 to more recently in 2018 when I rode the Exup-R to stay with friends in Brugges.It is a handy item and with the magnetic pods in each wing then it fits all of my road bikes,including my FJ1200 when using a top box is not the better solution

https://i.postimg.cc/3xSdDpbr/12605313-996350100424562-7001382163323401360-o.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/nzYKs0M9/24300970-1466685433450733-3399675868091691538-n.jpg

Always have a 'Plan B'

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:22 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the helpful advice everyone. Much appreciated.

I think i'll experiment and get a tank bag. I don't currently ride with a backpack and therefore I can see the advantage of having a drink / accessories in the tank bag.

SW Motech look to have a few smart looking examples.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last thought; there are a few different types of attachments. Magnetic are versatile (assuming you have a steel tank anyway) and can transfer between suitable bikes easily, but can easily scratch the paint unless the tank and the tank bag are absolutely clean when you put them together. If you're planning to take the tank bag on and off then you're going to risk getting road grit etc.. between the magnets and the paintwork.

The other method is a lockring that usually attaches to the tank using replacement (longer) screws the filler cap is held on by. Then the tankbag itself locks to the lockring. This is what I have on my SW Motech. Can be a pain to find a matching mount sometimes and if you have multiple bikes you'll need one on each, but it makes removing and attaching the tank bag a seconds job and it's very secure once on.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
The other method is a lockring that usually attaches to the tank using replacement (longer) screws the filler cap is held on by. Then the tankbag itself locks to the lockring. This is what I have on my SW Motech.

Yep, Givi (another big tankbag manufacturer) also have their own system which I have. Would recommend.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a seat pack for those days where I'd want to carry a camera and a couple of smaller items.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Magnetic are versatile (assuming you have a steel tank anyway) and can transfer between suitable bikes easily, but can easily scratch the paint unless the tank and the tank bag are absolutely clean when you put them together. If you're planning to take the tank bag on and off then you're going to risk getting road grit etc.. between the magnets and the paintwork.

My tankbag is magnetic, and although I'm not too fussy about maintaining perfect paint (the bike is scratched to hell anyway), it really hasn't been a problem on the VFR despite years of taking it on and off. Not sure if that's because I always "peel" the magnets off the tank instead of just dragging the tankbag off though.

TCFA
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:23 - 01 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a pretty dinky magnetic one, holds wallet, passport/ticket, phone, camera, loose change for tolls. it has scratched my tank a bit and isn't as "formed" to tank shape as bigger ones or secure unless it's on a flat bit of tank - so not ideal I guess, but it helps having things quickly to hand and can just pull it off and stuff it in my lid when I get off to fill up or have a pee
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 202 days between these two posts...

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:16 - 23 Aug 2022    Post subject: bags Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but here's a shot of the new bags I got a couple of months ago. It was time to retire my old German flektarn ones and by accident I found these very cheap in an army store, like £7 each or something. I think they're Polish. I only fling tank bags on when I'm packing to rallies or doing distance but I do find they help a lot. I hate the feel of a bike that's piled up to the sky over the rear wheel with a tower of teetering camping gear.

My bike has no real carrying capacity because the side boxes are full of shit like tools, spares, waterproofs and inner tubes and the top box is generally full of other shit too numerous to mention, so a pair of tank bags and a small monowheel trailer do for the long haul and the bike doesn't feel encumbered because the trailer carries it's weight real low and the tank bags hang nicely like a pair of granny's old leathery baps. They can be heavy as fuck but it doesn't bother the handling.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 23 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there's room for your knees, looks like a grand solution. You can even fill the tank, and they might give your legs some weather protection too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1