SMIDSY time.. Lucky to live.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealSmiler wrote:
ride with my flip front helmet up so my face is visible which normally helps to make me visible.

What's the rationale here? Why would having you flip-front up make you more visible? Isn't it just rendering you more susceptible to terrible facial injuries in the event of collision and, or, crash?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it all gets sorted out.

Never assume the bastirts have seen you or will wait.
Plan ahead and slowthefuckdown for it.
Cool

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
TheRealSmiler wrote:
ride with my flip front helmet up so my face is visible which normally helps to make me visible.

What's the rationale here? Why would having you flip-front up make you more visible? Isn't it just rendering you more susceptible to terrible facial injuries in the event of collision and, or, crash?

OP 'Rides with Rayne-Pall'

Laughing

TheRealSmiler
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the last 40k miles + commuting just at my current place and many more for fun and commuting else where. I've found that people react more to faces than they do to just a helmet. It also gives you a wider view of the road so you can take in more of your surroundings alas it didn't work on this occasion (if someone isn't looking they aren't looking). I've had a crash before with a flip front (2016) suffered no facial injuries also slow speed in snow and ice. Also had a small off on a diesel spill in an open face helmet again no facial injuries. It's all about perceived risk in my opinion with everything in life.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got out ok. I had a very similar accident in my car 5 years ago going 60mph and t-boned someone and it's quite scary to think how badly that would have been if I were on a bike. In my case it was a girl that just passed her test so the police let her off, but someone admitting to not looking for bikes should be prosecuted in my opinion.
It's changed how I drive though and I always back off the throttle if I see someone waiting at a junction like that now.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: SMIDSY time.. Lucky to live. Reply with quote

TheRealSmiler wrote:
Well what a nice start to the year; I was on my way to work yesterday on the GSX600F at 9pm when a 20 year old woman decided to pull out in front of me right on the junction straight into the right hand lane of the dual carriageway.

[Sigh] - page 2 and nobody asked if she was fit, or for photos.

R.I.P. BCF, international ambassador of wokeness since 2022 Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a biker without a helmet for the first time this morning. Was a guy on a black Harley going under this underpass:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.7827461,-4.1043968,3a,75y,165.03h,92.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seCEF7AZ6fu56TGOQVsRhCQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Was about 7 degrees and the guy was only wearing a leather vest with bare arms (loaded in tattoos) and jeans. No helmet and no gloves.

Absolute madman!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna make a controversial comment here about SMIDSYs in general...

Hi-viz gear? Auxillary riding lights?

Just at a wild guess, the OP wasn't using either. And of course why should he have to do so and look like a prat? It's up to drivers to look where they're going, isn't it? And yet, as usual it's the biker who's the one with a written-off machine and who's lucky to be still alive.

Discuss. Dance!

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding lights that aren't too bright. Also not equally spaced. Or just one aux light that's away from the main light and not level with it.

Allegedly makes it easier to judge oncoming speed

Allegedly and presuming the driver actually looks.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I saw a biker without a helmet for the first time this morning. Was a guy on a black Harley going under this underpass:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.7827461,-4.1043968,3a,75y,165.03h,92.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seCEF7AZ6fu56TGOQVsRhCQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Was about 7 degrees and the guy was only wearing a leather vest with bare arms (loaded in tattoos) and jeans. No helmet and no gloves.

Absolute madman!
I always wondered what it is like to ride a motorbike at speed in heavy rain with no helmet. Then about 8 years ago I saw someone do exactly that on a 750 in Corfu. As we sheltered from Noah's flood with our bikes under a petrol station canopy we heard the roar of a fast bike approaching.

It appears you ride ducked down with one hand on the throttle and salute like a soldier with your other hand and go like fuck.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Absolute madman!

lol yeah - i couldn't do that...riding would feel weird w/out gear

however, to be fair, i don't really have a problem with other people doing it...especially if they're prepared to stump up (no pun intended) for their own prosthetic noses and jaws Mr. Green

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yeah - i couldn't do that...riding would feel weird w/out gear

however, to be fair, i don't really have a problem with other people doing it...especially if they're prepared to stump up (no pun intended) for their own prosthetic noses and jaws Mr. Green

For about >95% of all rides I will wear textile jacket, thick jeans (or textile trousers), biking boots, biking gloves and a helmet, but in all honesty I have ridden before without wearing a textile jacket (t-shirt and thick hoodie) on the hottest of summer days. Some days I have wore normal boots instead of biker boots. The two pieces of gear that I think are absolutely critical and could never ride without is a helmet and gloves.

Honestly would never ride without those two and I think anyone else is 100% insane to go ride without them too.

TheRealSmiler
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I'm gonna make a controversial comment here about SMIDSYs in general...

Hi-viz gear? Auxillary riding lights?

Just at a wild guess, the OP wasn't using either. And of course why should he have to do so and look like a prat? It's up to drivers to look where they're going, isn't it? And yet, as usual it's the biker who's the one with a written-off machine and who's lucky to be still alive.

Discuss. Dance!

On this occasion the bike had a euro lamp fitted (one headlight visible on low beam) just like a lot of modern bikes have.

I've ridden before my Bmw k100 that had auxiliary lights and headlight on in daylight, in a colorful helmet wearing an orange jacket with neon yellow trousers with red panniers; and had a police car pull out on me because I'm not visible enough as he didn't see me.

IF people aren't looking for you no amount of visibility aids are going to help unfortunately that is just the case. The biker is lucky to live due to the fact that the driver in the other vehicle is surrounded by a metal box that they feel perfectly safe in. Whilst the guy on the bike has no protection apart from the clothes they are wearing and the experience/wits of riding.

When I owned my outfit two years ago I had plenty of people still pull out on me and that had 4 lights working at once. This image was before I had the sidecar set up correctly by a local expert and the leading links fitted.

https://i.ibb.co/YNSktPS/271715902-727999618605646-1139573318908290845-n.jpg

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

I'm not really surprised knowing what members used to do tracking down people via images of people.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:31 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, wouldn't be riding with it flipped up, ever. If they didn't see a 1/4 ton bit of metal with lights, they cba with a face...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the High visibility stuff is that they are so common these days I think that they have moved to the back of the mind and become just as much a part of scenery as anything else in the world. You see them everywhere- therefore they are not an oddity anymore that your mind points out to you unconciously.

The same with DRL's on cars being so common it's now more likely you are seen if you don't have your lights on, because you're the minority.

I disagree with DRL's and that includes using headlamps on the motorcycles (from my experience, I get ulled out on LESS with them off)... It was still light whilst I was riding home today and I had received a flash from someone as if to tell me to get my lights on.. It's the bloody day time! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: SMIDSY time.. Lucky to live. Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Agreed. However at least it’s a thread about motorcycles rather than people bitching about politics or even just bitching about others bitching - much as I am now I suppose!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: SMIDSY time.. Lucky to live. Reply with quote

I've not posted in a while, and I doubt I'll post again anytime soon.

1198 wrote:
However at least it’s a thread about motorcycles

Is it really though?

Sounds like a thread about:-

1. A car with headlights on at 9pm pulling up at a junction to join a dual carriageway.
B. Not paying attention (poor obs)
D. Not moving to the righthand lane to avoid any potential collision, something any fully and correctly licenced rider would know.

But c'mon... who aint gonna see headlights shining across the road in front of them?

Looking on google maps, that junction is far from being "unsighted" and "a surprise"

So yeah, another thread about how Sammy does a Sammy and it's someone else's fault.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy ghost revival!

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: SMIDSY time.. Lucky to live. Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

1198 wrote:

Is it really though?

1. A car with headlights on at 9pm pulling up at a junction to join a dual carriageway.
D. Not moving to the righthand lane to avoid any potential collision, something any fully and correctly licenced rider would know.

But c'mon... who aint gonna see headlights shining across the road in front of them?

Looking on google maps, that junction is far from being "unsighted" and "a surprise"

So yeah, another thread about how Sammy does a Sammy and it's someone else's fault.

Fook me! The NDA expired and you're out on bail?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:45 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to concur to some extent. I've been riding for 24 years and I could count on the fingers of one hand the times I've had someone pull out on me and actually thought I was at serious risk. It's observation, road positioning, use of speed, where your eyes go to, observing junctions etc. The SMIDSY maneuvre was recently proven by a scientific study which showed us something most of us already know, that being if you move across your lane at the point at which a driver would be looking to see if there is something there, they are more likely to see you.

I'm not saying that unforeseen 'pull out' events don't ever happen. I'm sure some are absolutely unavoidable, but you can't just go around blaming other people just because they are wrong in the eyes of the law or the highway code. With bikes your life is more important than who is right or who is wrong. The right and wrong of it all is irrelevant when you're in hospital. You have to self reflect and ask "Is there anything *I* could have done to avoid the accident". I wasn't there... but from the description it seems a lot like there were other escape routes than riding into the back of a car. If the car pulled all the way across into the right lane and you were in the right lane, that must mean the left lane was a clear escape route.

I am not bemoaning the accidents, not at all. I'm bemoaning the lack of self reflection that comes after accidents and near misses.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:52 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealSmiler wrote:

IF people aren't looking for you no amount of visibility aids are going to help unfortunately that is just the case. The biker is lucky to live due to the fact that the driver in the other vehicle is surrounded by a metal box that they feel perfectly safe in. Whilst the guy on the bike has no protection apart from the clothes they are wearing and the experience/wits of riding.

When I owned my outfit two years ago I had plenty of people still pull out on me and that had 4 lights working at once.

I do think you have to look at the common factor in all those accidents Sammy... And it's NOT the bike, or the other car drivers.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: SMIDSY time.. Lucky to live. Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
CaNsA wrote:

1198 wrote:

Is it really though?

Fook me! The NDA expired and you're out on bail?

Laughing

*looks for Borg post*

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic but not worth a new thread so I’ll just leave this here.
They’re out there!

https://news.sky.com/story/nottinghamshire-man-drove-without-insurance-or-a-licence-for-more-than-70-years-police-say-12526845

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
They’re out there!
https://news.sky.com/story/nottinghamshire-man-drove-without-insurance-or-a-licence-for-more-than-70-years-police-say-12526845

And another one from today!:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-60151506

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
They’re out there!

I think that's more a condemnation of the police than him. Unless he just drove around the countryside how the f did he get awaywith it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3