Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When Mexican beer attacks! Corona Virus

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Back to Covid and politics...

Neil Young demands Spotify remove his music over Joe Rogan vaccine misinformation

The Guardian of course cite the original "270 medical professionals" letter which has already been discredited.

What is this? Last week we sang from thy hymn sheet but people didn't hear us so now we must shout the lyrics?!

Do explain how the letter was discredited?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do explain how there was a letter in the first place? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like there was no party .... cos it was a surprise party which is how he didn't know.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

People felt strongly enough to write it would be my best guess.

I'm intrigued how it was discredited though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Who wrote it? Got some names? I mean, we can all make guesses.
I heard that it turned out that a lot of the signatories weren't medical professionals as they claimed; no idea of the facts though. Seems like another storm in a tea cup to me though. Joe Rogan and anyone else has every right to say what they like if they're not actively and explicitly inciting violence. And Joe seems to me to be a pussycat at heart, certainly more liberal then his detractors.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

Who wrote it? Got some names? I mean, we can all make guesses.
I heard that it turned out that a lot of the signatories weren't medical professionals as they claimed; no idea of the facts though. Seems like another storm in a tea cup to me though. Joe Rogan and anyone else has every right to say what they like if they're not actively and explicitly inciting violence. And Joe seems to me to be a pussycat at heart, certainly more liberal then his detractors.

It's an open letter - I'll link it for you.

They didn't claim to be medical doctors or even medical professionals as far as I can see. Here's the relevant paragraph:

"We are a coalition of scientists, medical professionals, professors, and science communicators spanning a wide range of fields such as microbiology, immunology, epidemiology, and neuroscience and we are calling on Spotify to take action against the mass-misinformation events which continue to occur on its platform. With an estimated 11 million listeners per episode, JRE is the world’s largest podcast and has tremendous influence. Though Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, the company presently has no misinformation policy."

The full text including signatories is here:

https://spotifyopenletter.wordpress.com/2022/01/10/an-open-letter-to-spotify/

So if that was the basis for discrediting then the discrediting is discredited in turn. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All a load of nonsense from start to finish. If only scientists could grow up a bit Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:13 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed out the part about some of the 270 being vets or dentists. Sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
Back to Covid and politics...

Neil Young demands Spotify remove his music over Joe Rogan vaccine misinformation

The Guardian of course cite the original "270 medical professionals" letter which has already been discredited.

What is this? Last week we sang from thy hymn sheet but people didn't hear us so now we must shout the lyrics?!

Do explain how the letter was discredited?

270 almost random people write a letter. Big whoop, perfectly entitled to do so, impact zero. However as a tool for the MSM to try and cleave some viewers from Joe Rogan it swiftly transformed into "Almost 300 doctors..."

Don't listen to their misinformation, listen to ours Shocked

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
All a load of nonsense from start to finish. If only scientists could grow up a bit Laughing

Anyone that feels strongly about something can write a letter. If Joe Rogan is spreading misinformation then Spotify should consider whether it's something they really want to be associated with - they might not care but they also might not have been aware.

I'm not a follower but I'd agree with a lot of his views on other matters. He does however, have a reputation for broadcasting possibly harmful views on Covid (some of which he's publicly withdrawn and admitted he was wrong to say them). IIRC he was promoting the use of untested medications (Ivermectin to be specific) last year as well. It's fine to have opinions but if you're going to be a broadcaster then you also have responsibilities as well.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
if you're going to be a broadcaster then you also have responsibilities as well.

That's the BBC finished then Laughing

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:34 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
IIRC he was promoting the use of untested medications (Ivermectin to be specific) last year as well. It's fine to have opinions but if you're going to be a broadcaster then you also have responsibilities as well.

Course you do...

"Untested medications..." WTF Brick Wall

Not my my favourite site, but even wikipedia says...

"Ivermectin earned the title of "wonder drug" for the treatment of nematodes and arthropod parasites.[88] Ivermectin has been used safely by hundreds of millions of people to treat river blindness and lymphatic filariasis.[6]

Merck began marketing ivermectin as a veterinary antiparasitic in 1981.[6] By 1986, ivermectin was registered for use in 46 countries and was administered massively to cattle, sheep and other animals.[86] By the late 1980s, ivermectin was the bestselling veterinary medicine in the world.[6] Following its blockbuster success as a veterinary antiparasitic, another Merck scientist, Mohamed Aziz, collaborated with the World Health Organization to test the safety and efficacy of ivermectin against onchocerciasis in humans.[13] They found it to be highly safe and effective,[87] triggering Merck to register ivermectin for human use as "Mectizan" in France in 1987"

I think we can safely say, IT HAS BEEN TESTED.

Just saying....

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Ivermectin has been tested as an antiparasitic drug in some animals, for certain conditions.

What criteria did Joe Rogan use when he determined that it's effective for Covid-19 in humans? What trials did he carry out? Did he publish a paper? Was it peer-reviewed? Was it then authorised for use in humans infected in Covid-19 by any statutory body?

If he wanted to use his best guess and take all kinds of stuff, it's a free world. But he should have kept his mouth shut. His platform is watched by the sort of guys who enjoy living life vicariously through others. Fair play to them. It's entertainment. The guy probably has a lot of good advice about nutrition and wrestling. However, he did the public a disservice here. Their friend on the box - their hero - just made a huge "leap" for mankind and it was irresponsible and dangerous.

Last edited by Bhud on 22:37 - 25 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Islander wrote:
IIRC he was promoting the use of untested medications (Ivermectin to be specific) last year as well. It's fine to have opinions but if you're going to be a broadcaster then you also have responsibilities as well.

Course you do...

"Untested medications..." WTF Brick Wall

Not my my favourite site, but even wikipedia says...

"Ivermectin earned the title of "wonder drug" for the treatment of nematodes and arthropod parasites.[88] Ivermectin has been used safely by hundreds of millions of people to treat river blindness and lymphatic filariasis.[6]

Merck began marketing ivermectin as a veterinary antiparasitic in 1981.[6] By 1986, ivermectin was registered for use in 46 countries and was administered massively to cattle, sheep and other animals.[86] By the late 1980s, ivermectin was the bestselling veterinary medicine in the world.[6] Following its blockbuster success as a veterinary antiparasitic, another Merck scientist, Mohamed Aziz, collaborated with the World Health Organization to test the safety and efficacy of ivermectin against onchocerciasis in humans.[13] They found it to be highly safe and effective,[87] triggering Merck to register ivermectin for human use as "Mectizan" in France in 1987"

I think we can safely say, IT HAS BEEN TESTED.

Just saying....

It was mentioned specifically in the context of Covid. Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how many people here have been campaigning against dis/misinformation from the media, for how long? What about that put out by the tabloids over decades? What about politicians? As far as I'm aware, no laws have been broken. If you're going to actively try to prevent such things, you could keep armies of people busy forever. Good luck. Let anyone say what they want, as long as, again, they're not actively inciting violence. If someone is dumb enough to go to an entertainment podcaster to get medical info and then act upon it, their problem. But as far as I've seen, Rogan is always the first to tell you he's no expert in these things. I haven't been prompted into taking Ivermectin, though I know he does. Am I special in being able to make my own decisions then?

He'll also tell you that being overweight is a bad idea for your health. Going to argue with that? Or that it's a good idea to make sure you get the right balance of nutrition? Or that it's a good idea to keep fit?

Can we ban food manufacturers who sell unhealthy products? Manufacturers that build motor vehicles for road use that can go way over the speed limits? Ridiculous.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

These wrestling types seem pretty cool. They're relaxed, and serious about exercise and health. For all that cigar smoking and whiskey drinking, I think he's more into training as his thing in life. Mentally and physically, that's probably what occupies his time. The UFO nonsense and whatever is just business. That's my theory. Anyway, my point is, if he says to people, look after your health, don't be overweight, keep fairly fit (nothing crazy - just able to run, do pullups and whatnot) then he's well within his realm of expertise. These types of guys often stay abreast of the latest medical research into sports science and nutrition, and they know a surprising amount. There's a British MMA coach who has no formal education but his notebooks are full of obscure stuff about muscle composition and nerves - the guy's been obsessed with this stuff for about 50 years. He could have legitimacy as well, just like any academic scientist or medical doctor, when talking about athletic performance.

But at the time of a public health crisis where there were challenges with distrust and public perceptions, and managing the spread of infectious disease, the guy came out swinging and he came out on top. He's got an audience in the millions. Bigger than CNN, apparently. But he's just there to entertain and reassure people in a confusing and increasingly complex world. Of course people are going to look up to him and not dweeb scientists. He's a winner - no doubt about it. But he doesn't know jack about viruses, so he should have had the decency to STFU and not Tweet about everything.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

People on Twitter deserve all they get. I have absolutely no concerns over what stupid things they go and do to themselves.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if they start telling lies about you, and those lies are repeated so people believe it? Still OK? No harm done?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
What if they start telling lies about you, and those lies are repeated so people believe it? Still OK? No harm done?

Fill yer boots if it gives you a hard on.
YPVS This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Ivermectin…. Just saying....

Brick Wall
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I think this mostly self-moderating forum works very well. There is a problem with people not engaging with counter-arguments and simply returning time and again with the same tiresome nonsense, but that’s not a moderation issue.

That’s my polite response. Wink

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Fill yer boots if it gives you a hard on.

Dodge.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Dodge.

Question

Edit: Oh, he logged out. Must've realised how silly he was being Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has got to page 69... nice Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:18 - 26 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

And all three (known) incarnations of Marcus Paul Donkersley have posted here and still not got the message and fucked off like a good little racist.

I recommend Argentina. That's where all the other nazis are rumoured to have fucked off to.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 83 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 69 of 71