BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UserBenchmark

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: UserBenchmark Reply with quote

Well, I just want to see what all of you have for battle stations in here. I suggest un-checking the skill test unless you want to show how noob you are (I only got 44%) Crying or Very sad

My run:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49979826

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:15 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you running a 3090 in there Laughing what a waste of power Shocked your poor CPU and board are just gimping it big time.

Mine is https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49982281 which isn't great, but I cba to go and overclock it after the rebuild Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Why are you running a 3090 in there Laughing what a waste of power Shocked your poor CPU and board are just gimping it big time.

Mine is https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49982281 which isn't great, but I cba to go and overclock it after the rebuild Laughing

The idea was to upgrade board and CPU later and take a GPU as it was available at the time. Then got disheartened when I found out DDR5 and the RTX 40 series were going to be out next year and took the hump and accepted this is it until I get a new card.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to ask what monitor you're running at 1440p?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:36 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
The idea was to upgrade board and CPU later and take a GPU as it was available at the time. Then got disheartened when I found out DDR5 and the RTX 40 series were going to be out next year and took the hump and accepted this is it until I get a new card.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to ask what monitor you're running at 1440p?

Ooof, thats a big oof indeed.

Erm, many monitors. My primary (i.e. in front of my face) is an
ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ for gaming, to my right is an AOC CU34G3S/BK for racing gaming/games that look nicer on UW and to my left is a Gigabyte M28U 28 Inch SS IPS 4K for bigger working areas Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Erm, many monitors. My primary (i.e. in front of my face) is an
ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ for gaming, to my right is an AOC CU34G3S/BK for racing gaming/games that look nicer on UW and to my left is a Gigabyte M28U 28 Inch SS IPS 4K for bigger working areas Laughing

A man can never have enough monitors. I use a simple 4K TV and just lock frame rates to 60 FPS. I am not a pro gamer, in-fact I am shit tier at gaming but I do enjoy a big screen and highest level details.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My £30 Lenovo Think Centre M93p is tree trunk!!!
Whoo hoo! I gotta tree trunk !
I got wood!

Lenovo Think Centre M93p

UserBenchmarks: Game 8%, Desk 68%, Work 8%
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 - 75.1%
GPU: Intel HD 4600 (Desktop 1.25 GHz) - 2.8%
SSD: WD Green 240GB (2018) - 45.4%
HDD: WD WD5000LUCT-63C26Y0 500GB - 56.8%
RAM: Unknown SLU08G64B5BD2SA-DC 2x8GB - 60.2%
MBD: Lenovo 10A9003PUK

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that my PC is crap for modern games largely due to
the onboard gpu and I'm fine with that as I aint a gameboi
68% as a desktop score works fine for my usage

What I don't understand is the low workstation score
what do a workstation do?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I get that my PC is crap for modern games largely due to
the onboard gpu and I'm fine with that as I aint a gameboi
68% as a desktop score works fine for my usage

What I don't understand is the low workstation score
what do a workstation do?

Game - likes fast CPU with strong cores as well as powerful GPU,
Desktop - likes a lot of RAM, HDD and CPU speed,
Workstation - like fast CPU with a lot of cores (more cores = more better) and powerful CPU.

Workstations are used for rendering and computation, so they like a lot of cores and a lot of RAM as well as fast SSDs. The CPU and RAM process things so fast that SSDs become the bottleneck (hence having an NVMe SSD will boost your workstation score).

The way they are calculated is noted on the results/ explanation page where each category weighs component scores differently for the overall score in that category.

EDIT: Having an NVMe SSD is probably the biggest quality of life improvement you can make to your PC. My PC boots from pressing the start button to Windows password screen in 4/5 seconds with 2/3 of those seconds being the press for BIOS/ Gigabyte screen.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50019601

Would be worse but my AMD 2600 died a few months ago so was forced to spend some money for something better. GPU is falling behind a bit, but it runs games at acceptable settings for me.

Running this did make me realise I never turned XMP on when I changed the motherboard, so I've gained a bit over my first run Laughing

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:26 - 29 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly my machine crashes/freezes/locks up on the video part!!

Updated the GFX driver but no change.

Also can't unselect any of the options at startup, they're all greyed out.

Threadripper 3960X
Gigabyte Aorus Master TRX40
64G Ram Corsair
500G NVMe SSD RAID1 on PCIe
1T SATA RAID 10
GFX Geforce RTX 2080 Ti

Eset Smart Security

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:15 - 29 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My desktop:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50044791

My games PC:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50045177

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Beautiful tree trunk run Laughing

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:15 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah,

Finally, working now...
Updated the GFX driver and it didn't seem to work, but, after a few restarts, I thought I'd give it another go.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50079670

The poor result is the SSD's that go through the chipset, and are RAID 10, prolly have to wait for new drivers to fix that.

It has made me realise that it doesn't matter how good your machine is if the drivers don't perform you're shagged.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:46 - 31 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50108877

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 01 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Ah,

Finally, working now...
Updated the GFX driver and it didn't seem to work, but, after a few restarts, I thought I'd give it another go.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50079670

The poor result is the SSD's that go through the chipset, and are RAID 10, prolly have to wait for new drivers to fix that.

It has made me realise that it doesn't matter how good your machine is if the drivers don't perform you're shagged.

Very nice machine, I take it that it is actually a workstation though as you have a threadripper in there. Just being nosy, but what workload you doing that requires so many cores? Actually interested Embarassed

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 01 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:

Very respectable, don't know if your board supports overclocking but you should be able to get a little more out that 2600X even if you only have the stock cooler.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 01 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not use Userbenchmark, it is discredited, it's not accurate.

Use proper benchmarking data if you are going to compare.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaWZKPUidUY

Also most games are GPU bound. Unless you have a very high end GPU your CPU isn't going to be a limiting factor.

Paddy. wrote:

3090 isn't a gaming card, it's a budget deep learning card. It's basically a slightly better 3080 but with 24GB RAM instead of 10GB to support larger models for learning. Games would be fine with the RAM on the 3080.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 01 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old laptop Embarassed

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:13 - 01 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:

Very respectable, don't know if your board supports overclocking but you should be able to get a little more out that 2600X even if you only have the stock cooler.

Back in the day I built several custom watercooled rigs and clocked the hell out of them.

Nowadays I rarely play games anymore and for the general stuff I do it doesn't need any more. Just happy that it works mostly Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:26 - 01 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
3090 isn't a gaming card, it's a budget deep learning card. It's basically a slightly better 3080 but with 24GB RAM instead of 10GB to support larger models for learning. Games would be fine with the RAM on the 3080.

I disagree, its a card, its used for gaming and streaming.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:57 - 01 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Very nice machine, I take it that it is actually a workstation though as you have a threadripper in there. Just being nosy, but what workload you doing that requires so many cores? Actually interested Embarassed

Naff all mate, just a toy, well sort of... I seriously doubt there's a prog on there that uses more than half a dozen of the cores 'maybe'.
I've always built my own machines and this time wanted more of a Workstation, so am using EUDIMM memory, with SATA RAID 10.

I do run 3D CAD progs, planning to dabble with video editing stuff and programing micros, (some SDK's are quite demanding on load, Android Studio can be slowish [well at least 5/6 seconds] to load but would take ages, on ealier machines) and want MS Flight Sim, and Chrysis 2 (which runs with all settings at max).

TBH just a wanted to future proof it a bit, my last machine lasted well over ten yrs (it saw XP, Win7 and finally Win10), and expect this to do the same, got capacity to upgrade loads on the mobo, but shouldn't need to for a few years, unless something blows up, like last month, when one of the M.2 NVMe SSDs went down took my OS with it (probably my fault for turning it off mid recover). So this time I mirrored them.

I wanted a machine that could/should do anything I throw at it.

It did make a reasonable (pityful in the grand scheme of mining but reasonable for what it was) attempt at mining before xmas, till I realised that the processor was useless at it and only the GFX card was half worth running. However I have a low boredom threshshold and gave up after a little while, after working out power useage and costings, made it look quite pointless.

So there you go, I'm not thrashing it. It's like poodling around town in a V8, but hey, people do. Sorry to disapoint you.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 01 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

I disagree, its a card, its used for gaming and streaming.

You can tow a caravan with a Lambo. Doesn't mean that was the intended purpose Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:30 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a fair point however, 10GB of VRAM is not enough for some stuff, I cannot run Icarus nicely with the 8GB I have, the settings suggest I have 13GB mininum oh high to ultra, and if I had a 24GB card, I'd be fine, even the 3080 won't run it nice enough.

Maybe I'm picky but I want everything to be maxed out.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or at least you want enough headroom to turn things up without having to think about optimised settings.

For the games / use i have ... my current setup performs exactly like that.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:24 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Or at least you want enough headroom to turn things up without having to think about optimised settings.

Pretty much that, I don't want to have to tinker, just ultra me up baby and give me 100+fps, I'm happy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2