Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Parking on the pavement

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:47 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Parking on the pavement Reply with quote

Is this a big no no, or is it usually allowed as long as not obstructing ?

Possibly going somewhere in Liverpool, but over the water not the city itself, it has a very wide pavement with trees and lamp posts to chain to, the parking bays on the street are pretty much always full when we have been before

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Parking on the pavement Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
Is this a big no no, or is it usually allowed as long as not obstructing ?

Possibly going somewhere in Liverpool, but over the water not the city itself, it has a very wide pavement with trees and lamp posts to chain to, the parking bays on the street are pretty much always full when we have been before

I find that it is extremely dependent on where you are and how things are enforced. Even here in Glasgow its' extremely street-by-street dependent. There are some places you will get statutory towed, some places residents will key fuck out your car and other places where you're safe and nobody gives a fuck.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banned in London, only "advised" in legalese in the rest of the country (MUST NOT vs SHOULD NOT). BUT, local councils can set their own rules on it, and lots are now...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other thing to consider is if the pavement is highway, private or "public realm".

- Highway footways (i.e. immediately adjoining to the carriageway and usually only a few metres wide) will be covered by any restrictions applied to that length and side of road. So if there are yellow lines, they apply from the centreline to the back of footway. If it's a restricted zone (e.g. park in marked bays only), same thing. No idea how active the wardens are - you could try scouting one on the day and asking him/her politely and see what they say, justifying about lack of security in a normal bay?

- Private obviously is private; you're likely to annoy someone. Could get keyed, possibly removed but no idea on the legalities - I think clamping has been done away with now?

- Public realm is trickier (e.g. open spaces, which might include blacktopped areas in town/city centres not adjacent to highways). If there's no parking restriction, the parking wardens (CPOs usually) can't issue a ticket in contravention of that, but there might be grounds for obstruction.

Other thing is to look at where other bikes are parked?

Edit: FWIW I work in Ancoats in Manchester and the civil enforcement lot here are unbelievably active - park on a yellow line and they'll ticket you within 5 minutes. It's a spectator sport. I don't ride my motorcycle to work, but I do see others parked up and locked to cycle loops. Never seen any with a FPN attached to them . . . doesn't mean they don't get them, but I do see a lot of cars with FPNs.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:05 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

its along this road we would be wanting to park

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3913615,-3.1788504,3a,75y,62.29h,64.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNgGKxa2dqpGL8yaKxaV_gA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

tbh it sounds a minefield and makes me just want to go in the car lol

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting; assuming you're on about parking behind the "cobbled" parking bays, you'll probably be OK. That said, a quick google suggests Birkinhead has a controlled parking zone (basically an area bounded by usually quite modest signs within which whatever is on the sign is the default, i.e. no double yellow lines on the road but there might be waiting restrictions applied as a "blanket" area), but no map anywhere I can see if it covers that area or not.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3913615,-3.1788504,3a,75y,62.29h,64.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNgGKxa2dqpGL8yaKxaV_gA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I'd park my bike on this bit here, chain round the back wheel and swingarm, disk lock on front and put my registration plate in the topbox:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3913615,-3.1788504,3a,63.4y,264.29h,68.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNgGKxa2dqpGL8yaKxaV_gA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:00 - 27 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if their was a proper bay free, id be worried about a car reversing into my bike, not seeing it through the back window etc, so yea on the bits next to the designated spaces

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look like sets to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Those look like sets to me.
Flame top granite setts in the lay-bys.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure the law states that's it is illegal to ride any carriage on the pavement.

Precisely 'carriage', as that defines almost anything on wheels.

I think weans bike, their wheeled toys and mobility scooters have exemption.

Even crossing a pavement for access could be problematic unless the pavement has a dropped kerb (installed by the Cooncil or with Cooncil permission.)

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I'd park my bike on this bit here, chain round the back wheel and swingarm, disk lock on front and put my registration plate in the topbox:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3913615,-3.1788504,3a,63.4y,264.29h,68.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNgGKxa2dqpGL8yaKxaV_gA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Fuck, I'm going to have to move. F.A.S. is a little bit too close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:55 - 29 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:

Double yellows extend across the pavement to the boundary of the adjoining properties, so if you plot up there on the pavement side of the lines you'll still risk a ticket.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:50 - 29 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Double yellows extend across the pavement to the boundary of the adjoining properties, so if you plot up there on the pavement side of the lines you'll still risk a ticket.

Just out of curiosity how would they be able to ticket the bike if the plate was off it? VIN? Question

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 29 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Just out of curiosity how would they be able to ticket the bike if the plate was off it? VIN? Question

Well, they wouldn't but that's also an offense and if you did that in London they'd probably lift it.

Putting a full-bike cover over it would be your best best most traffic wardens are reluctant to touch a cover to look at the reg even though they woud be allowed to.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Other thing to consider is if the pavement is highway, private or "public realm".

- Highway footways (i.e. immediately adjoining to the carriageway and usually only a few metres wide) will be covered by any restrictions applied to that length and side of road. So if there are yellow lines, they apply from the centreline to the back of footway. If it's a restricted zone (e.g. park in marked bays only), same thing. No idea how active the wardens are - you could try scouting one on the day and asking him/her politely and see what they say, justifying about lack of security in a normal bay?

- Private obviously is private; you're likely to annoy someone. Could get keyed, possibly removed but no idea on the legalities - I think clamping has been done away with now?

- Public realm is trickier (e.g. open spaces, which might include blacktopped areas in town/city centres not adjacent to highways). If there's no parking restriction, the parking wardens (CPOs usually) can't issue a ticket in contravention of that, but there might be grounds for obstruction.

Other thing is to look at where other bikes are parked?

Edit: FWIW I work in Ancoats in Manchester and the civil enforcement lot here are unbelievably active - park on a yellow line and they'll ticket you within 5 minutes. It's a spectator sport. I don't ride my motorcycle to work, but I do see others parked up and locked to cycle loops. Never seen any with a FPN attached to them . . . doesn't mean they don't get them, but I do see a lot of cars with FPNs.

Many moons ago I did ride my CG125 to pass a motorcycle theory test, it was in Piccadilly. I asked a traffic warden about bike parking, and he said (words to the effect) "just dump it anywhere, we don't bother with bikes". I think I just left it in an alleyway, and luckily it was still there when I came back.

Now that may have changed since 2003, but I'd be tempted to ask one of them if I was parking near town, you might still get this friendly common sense approach. Obviously you'd still spit on his back when he walks off though.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:38 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride on pavement lol.

For example in the town if there is parking spots for cyclists I will park there.

Think I maded to add a image of chelmsford town centre. most motorcyclists just park here.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Well, they wouldn't but that's also an offense and if you did that in London they'd probably lift it.

Putting a full-bike cover over it would be your best best most traffic wardens are reluctant to touch a cover to look at the reg even though they woud be allowed to.

Done my own digging on it. Failing to display a registration mark or affix a registration mark is made an offence under Section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Section 19 of the The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001:

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/pdfs/uksi_20010561_en.pdf

The Road Traffic Act 1988 - Section 42:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/42

The offence is a summary offence and is punished by a fixed penalty of £100 under The Prosecution of Offences Act 1985 and The Fixed Penalty (Amendment) Order 2013:

The Fixed Penalty (Amendment) Order 2013:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1569/article/2/made?view=plain

So nothing happens other than a £100 fixed penalty if you get stopped by the police it seems. The under the rain cover idea is actually pretty decent. Then again, the amount of times I want to park illegally and avoid a ticket is so low that I probably will never even bother Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Especially as most have holes in the bottom to pass a chain through which would prevent a casual inspector lifting it up to view the plate..

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:25 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a chat with a warden the other day that said they look the other way if the bike is parked in a non obstructive way in a large area of pavement (not a 1-2m wide side walk) or next to cycle racks where there's plenty of place, but not inside the cycle rack.
That's doesn't mean they won't fine you, just that it's very unlikely.

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:24 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carr Lane car park had some motorcycle bays.
Roads away from the High St seem to be a free for all (no time limits).

But, still the Wirral - take the SOB !
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 19 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1