Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to buy a bike in bad weather

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: How to buy a bike in bad weather Reply with quote

Hey all

So, just a funny experience. I'm looking for a different bike and obviously need to try it out before I buy it. I've never stood next to this type of bike before, let alone ridden it to feel the position and what the bike can do.
I spoke to a dealership about taking a test ride, it's 2nd hand not new BTW, and was told since the weather has been a bit mucky recently they didn't want me taking it out this weekend as it'll get dirty... seriously!?

Playing hard to get is not my thing, so I'll be taking my money elsewhere. Laughing
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: How to buy a bike in bad weather Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
I spoke to a dealership about taking a test ride, it's 2nd hand not new BTW, and was told since the weather has been a bit mucky recently they didn't want me taking it out this weekend as it'll get dirty... seriously!?

That's certainly not unusual in my experience. Though, personally I'd rather have decent weather to inspect/test ride anyway.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeah, the roads are grim at the moment. Got stuck behind a lorry driving my van to work in drizzle early yesterday
morning the front end got covered in all manner of salt and grime. Driving in this morning the front was so dirty my headlights
seemed like they were off, I could barely make out the lane markings on the unlit bits of the M32 and M48. I literally only
just came in from giving them a clean with a couple of babywipes so tomorrow for a while at least I might be able to
see where I'm driving. The rest of the van is fvcking FILTHY. The car is spotless and staying on the drive until we've had
some proper rain to wash the roads down a bit.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found most dealers avoid test riders when you have wet, slimy roads - partially so they don't have to clean them, and partially because of the higher likelihood of a drop occurring.

My car looks like a gorilla has stomped up onto the bonnet and had explosive diarrhoea. The bike's staying in the garage for the time being.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:57 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike and how much is it?

If you'd be buying it after test riding it then I'm sure the sales person could work out a way for a test ride to happen.

They'll want you to have a test ride if you're serious about buying it because the sales person wants their commission.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:23 - 29 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a ride out today, it’s a bit shitty, and quite slippy, not really enjoyed it TBF. But if I was going to cough money on a replacement bike, I’d want to ride it. Not sure I’d be trying out an unfamiliar 150+hp bike though so yeah, kinda depends on what and how much and if you ‘dropped on’ or ‘phoned ahead.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 29 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On yer bike in Aylesbury told me (a few years ago) that this was one of the reasons why they charged £25 for a test ride (refundable if you bought the bike), getting it back up to showroom standard after a test ride.

They didn't say it was to stop chancers just wanting to play on a bike they could never afford but I bet that was up there as well.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
On yer bike in Aylesbury told me (a few years ago) that this was one of the reasons why they charged £25 for a test ride (refundable if you bought the bike), getting it back up to showroom standard after a test ride.

They didn't say it was to stop chancers just wanting to play on a bike they could never afford but I bet that was up there as well.

I'd happily pay £25 for an hour or two on a bike I was considering but not committed to. If they're upfront about it at least. Seems reasonable enough, particularly if it means both parties can be a bit more honest about the chances of a sale.

When I was looking at getting the striple, a dealership said I could have a test ride if I agreed to buy the bike first, with the potential option to change my mind afterwards. Er, no thanks.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, a charge to get the bike cleaned up again, chain lubed etc seems reasonable enough. Went out earlier for a few hours and felt like I spent the whole time trying to avoid mucky patches. Think I’m going to wait a month or two before I properly get out riding as I just can’t be bothered with the whole thorough cleaning regime after every ride

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:49 - 31 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its fair of the dealer tbh.

They naturally get a lot of tyre kickers. So they dont want to have to reclean the bike everytime someone tests it.
Also roads atm the bike gets dirty real fast.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1