Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Been scammed on FB - what next?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Been scammed on FB - what next? Reply with quote

I found an item on FB Marketplace at a price that wasn’t especially cheap, contacted the seller via Messenger, paid by bank transfer and then they disappeared. Yes, I know, stupid me about the payment and I have reported the scam to my bank for investigation.

What else can I do? It looks like I have been blocked by the FB seller’s account, but someone else can still see the same item listed for sale in a different location, same pictures, description etc and they can see the seller’s FB profile. Is there anything of a more… ‘BCF’ nature that can be done, or just leave it to the bank? I consider the money to be gone - the price of a lesson learned, but if there’s anything else to be done, I’m open to options. I have the bank account details of the person I sent money too.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact the police?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link the listing so that people can report it to FB and post warnings that it's a scammer?

But yes, contact the police as well - it's unlikely that the bastards are even in this country but you never know.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The language used during the Messenger exchange was pretty colloquial English, if they are foreign they are good at coming across as native English.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:22 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be some facility to report it to Zuckerburg
MilfHunter This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilfHunter wrote:
It stinks of council and Iceland moms.

Eh, I know that smell. Puke
Its some sort of base detergent* smell, mixed with fag ash, that they trail about the place, stinking out decent people's breathing space.

*Not Jeyes Fluid, something worse than that (if such a thing exists)

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:05 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's quite a few bike specific groups on FB that are now a much better source of "stuff" then the eBay.

If you belong to them & actively participate in them then you soon get to know who are the genuine enthusiasts, who are the trolls & who are the stupids.

I have never hesitated to buy "stuff" off of them because I only ever buy off the genuine enthusiasts, the one's who invest a lot of their knowledge & a lot of their time into those groups. They are easily identified if you actually look for them.

Then you have the stupids. Anyone can join & anyone can post & there is nothing stopping the stupids from joining in. Everyone else knows that you cannot help the stupids, whilst it's OK to ask a stupid question once or twice it is not OK to keep asking them, simply because the stupidity of the stupid just seems to spiral ever downwards.

So you got ripped off on FB, now you want everyone else to help you. You can contact the police, write a strong letter to your MP or even picket at the bottom gates of Zuckerborgs extremely long driveway, but at the end of the day you have to realise that even if everyone helps the stupid, they just go out & do something a little bit more stupid the next time.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:11 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Been scammed on FB - what next? Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
I have the bank account details of the person I sent money too.

You have the details of the account that you sent the money to but unless it's their first rodeo, the scammer is not using their own bank account.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you don't mention the 'item' or give any info to warn off others
Was it drugs or something like a sex toy perhaps?
you can tell us this is BCF we dont judge
(just mercilessly take the piss)

You've been burned so it seems pointless to warn you about scamming bastards or taking proper precautions before parting with money now.

Will the police take an interest?
do you want them to?

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

reminds me of... report them to the bank as they did scam you. some banks ask if you might think the transaction request is suspicious - that can easily make a fucking hell of their life.

reference here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qYvoWoYWwk

some more information might be found on the website of the CIFAS https://www.cifas.org.uk/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to put a boot on the other foot I once successfully sold something through Marketplace. The guy (via messenger) said "I'll take a chance and send you the money." (I did send the part BTW.) I also offered to raise a PayPal invoice but he didn't want to bother with that which I thought was odd.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:49 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolu wrote:
reminds me of... report them to the bank as they did scam you. some banks ask if you might think the transaction request is suspicious - that can easily make a fucking hell of their life.

reference here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qYvoWoYWwk

That video is about fraudulent payments rather than being scammed.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a Wahoo indoor cycling trainer. The price was around the same as others advertised.
The bank account is with Monzo.
I have reported it via the police Action Fraud process and to my bank.
I’ve written the money off, although if I get it back that would be nice.
I know I made a mistake - I’ve bought and sold through FB quite a bit with no issues so I guess was lulled into a sense of security. I made some cursory checks on his FB account and provided address which passed a superficial look.

I’d love it if there was some way to make their life awkward, through interference in their financial affairs, but I’m assuming this is fantasy.

Fucking wanker. I hope the line he buys with my money is a bad one.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you part with the money for something like that up front?

Hindsight is always 20:20 but anything like that I'd usually collect it and pay cash or bank transfer the money on my phone when I've seen it working/assessed its condition.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
I’d love it if there was some way to make their life awkward, through interference in their financial affairs, but I’m assuming this is fantasy.

Fucking wanker. I hope the line he buys with my money is a bad one.

You said they were still advertising it for sale, you could create a fake profile or get a friend to contact them and try and arrange to collect it.

Then call the police when you're there, if calling the police is your bag.

That assumes they're actually selling one and are just taking the piss because the chances are you'd just write it off.

Also regarding the police have actually reported it to you local force, I suspect they may be more use then action fraud.

Years ago someone I know got caught and prosecuted for selling something online that didn't exist.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:21 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also report them to Monzo, it's on their credit file and you could quite easily get their account dropped for misuse.

Doesn't fix it, but it's a credit based card rather than some generic bank
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
You can also report them to Monzo...

Wait, it's not even a proper bank? Didn't that at least ring some alarm bells?!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got scammed years ago by some eBay shitehawk.
I paid off eBay. Only 20 quid.
Never heard of the cnut again.
EBay notified.
They looked at it, told me I'd paid to his wives bank not scum guy (Could have been a scum vagina support system too.)
EBay agreed it was a scam.
But coz I paid off grid they told me to do one.

I'm still looking for the prick... That was 15 years ago. Twisted Evil

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see some people saying that payment by bank transfer is a red flag, but when I sell things I demand either cash or bank transfer: I never accept PayPal.

To me, anyone offering to pay by PayPal is a red flag.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I see some people saying that payment by bank transfer is a red flag, but when I sell things I demand either cash or bank transfer: I never accept PayPal.

Just sending money as "family and friends" transfer is about as safe as handing over cash as in not at all. You can however raise invoices and estimates which allows you to outline the basis of the transaction.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 28 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I agree with you, but I think you're confusing buying and selling though (the OP got scammed when buying). If I'm buying on eBay then it's PayPal every time; I'd never pay by bank transfer for something being posted to me.

But if someone buys something large and unpostable from me on eBay and then expects to collect it after having paid by PayPal (that's after they've ignored 'cash on collection only in the eBay listing, obvs) then I will reverse their payment immediately...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 29 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does cash on collection still work on ebay? One of the reasons I stopped using it was they blocked addresses and phone numbers until you had payed so you couldn't circumnavigate their fees. Have they changed that?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:56 - 29 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a right PITA last time I needed to give my address to someone on eBay because as you say, they block addresses and phone numbers.

I had to describe my address to them rather than give it in the traditional format. Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 29 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It was a right PITA last time I needed to give my address to someone on eBay because as you say, they block addresses and phone numbers.

I had to describe my address to them rather than give it in the traditional format. Rolling Eyes

AFAIK if you've specifically marked an item as "collection only" you're perfectly entitled to communicate location information after a sale, it's doing it before an item's sold that eBay get twitchy about.

What annoys me at the moment is there's no option to deliver items yourself. If someone's local to me it's a nice excuse to get out of the house (eBay delivery fee goes towards petrol money.) There is the opposite though: if you go collect something the seller can show a QR code from the eBay app and the buyer can scan this to confirm they've picked up the item.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2