Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Hel do a de-linking kit for the bird - probably for the viffer to

Even ignoring jeffyjeff's potential liability issue, it's not as simple as ripping it out and adding in normal lines with a couple of blanking plates and loops or whatever unfortunately.

I did do some reading about it, but without getting into it too much, it's a pain. The master cylinders won't work very well, and the calipers will be a bit of a bodge, you're better off changing them really. And the left fork leg is setup for the weird extra master cylinder thing, so you need to change the fork lowers to fit other calipers. One approach some people do is fit everything from the fork lowers down from a Firestorm (a mod people do on the VFR750 for the better brakes too). Short version is, my brakes are good enough not to be worth the hassle of changing. It's just a system that adds weight and complexity to the bike for no discernible benefit.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 30 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd forgotten all that bloody complication, yeah good points

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 31 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still in two minds about ABS. I can think of one time when I crashed where ABS is likely to have prevented it.
But how does it do when you're having fun on your favourite twisty road, hard braking on the front into corners? Does it get intrusive under such circumstances?
I think the best thing would be to have ABS that you could switch off. Maybe have it be activated every time you switch on the ignition so you don't forget, but simply be able to hit a switch if you don't want it for whatever reason.
Of course the added expense on the price of a bike isn't welcome, so I also think it should be an optional extra.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 31 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I think the best thing would be to have ABS that you could switch off. Maybe have it be activated every time you switch on the ignition so you don't forget, but simply be able to hit a switch if you don't want it for whatever reason.

Which is the exactly the scenario on my R1200RS - have never switched it off TBH.

A whole other issue is 'cornering ABS' (aka 'lean-angle sensitive ABS aka 'ABS Pro' or whatever. I'm pretty sure my own bike doesn't have it (I think it may have been available as a factory-fitted option?) but unlike with standard ABS I'm not about to test that any time soon! But I just can't imagine putting it to use in practice? When I managed to run off the edge of a fast bend one time, with expensive and painful consequences, it was so ingrained into me not to grab a handful of brake that even under those circumstances I didn't do so... if I were ever to do that again it's hard to picture myself overriding my instinct and jamming on the anchors.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3